Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caravan Club

We'd soon be complaining about sites and wardens if they were too relaxed. I travel with my dog and they can be a bit strict about having them on a lead. I arrived at a site in Dunnet once and no sooner had I got out of the van after parking up Rocky had a bit of a wander but no further than 10 feet from the van and they were straight on my case about having him tethered.
But to be fair I think they do a brilliant job mostly, if they didn't the sites would soon descend into a post apocalyptic version of Glastonbury imo.

My folks joined the CC the first year they got their caravan and on their first trip away they had a very rude/awkward warden that caused them to complain and cancel their membership straight after their holiday. My Dad is a very calm and collected guy, so the fact it resulted in cancelling makes me think it must have been pretty bad experience. As others have said though each warden is a person and an individual. That said, it's up to an organisation to ensure their culture doesn't allow bad behaviour. They do seem to be listening which is good. :)

I've personally never had a similar experience with the C&CC but I do find facilities closing time frustrating, effectively closing at PPT (peak pooping time). All it means is just before they are crammed full. I've only ever met polite helpful folk and excellent facilities. Most of my experiences of rude or awkward folk have been the other guests not the staff.

That's part of the reason why we tend to use the small certified sites. They are often rough and ready but you are usually very spread out and thus away from other campers. They also tend to be less stern on dogs on leads, nothing sadder than seeing your dogs face when they see the green, then their other face when they realise they are going to spend it on a cord. As much as I understand the lead rules (we have to with other dogs around anyway) it's their holiday too.

We stayed at a CC site once and on arrival were given a stern lecture in reception about which corner of the Cali had to be against the white post depending on which way round we were facing, something to do with privacy, didn't have the heart to tell them the Cali door wasn't on the "UK" side.
Ah well it keeps the warders busy!

Had exactly the same response from caravan club site wardens....dont realise that calis and foreign vans have the habitation door on the offside....great sites BUT expensive and over regulated !

Had exactly the same response from caravan club site wardens....dont realise that calis and foreign vans have the habitation door on the offside....great sites BUT expensive and over regulated !

We had the same thing at the CC Chatsworth site at the weekend. On the desk at reception they have even built a little Lego "diagram" to show where the post is, and where your car/caravan/awning should go in relation to the post. :veryfunny

We had the same thing at the CC Chatsworth site at the weekend. On the desk at reception they have even built a little Lego "diagram" to show where the post is, and where your car/caravan/awning should go in relation to the post. :veryfunny

As someone suggested on a similar thread recently, they do now offer instructions as to how park as you drive OR reverse in. My only problem is that I have to write their instructions on my hand - or take the little lego diarama with me to my chosen spot :eek:

We stopped at a very full CC site in Yorkshire last year. I reversed onto and parked in the middle of our allotted gravel hard standing. I didn't park as instructed with the rear offside corner adjacent to the white post as that would have ment having a hedge right up against the sliding door. So I suppose I was asking for it!

We were only staying one night so didn't use our awning room. Therefore I had actually parked our Cali midway between the great white on one side and the sterile side of the caravan on the other side.

On returning to our van later that night I discovered a note attached to the windscreen instructing us to "Please reposition your outfit correctly in accordance with the attached diagram". As it was well past eleven O'clock at night I felt that the last thing our neighbours would have wanted, was to have been disturbed by all the noise associated with bringing the roof down and repositioning the vehicle, so I ignored the note and went to bed. We left early the next morning but not before I had questioned the note with the wardens.

They correctly informed me that the rules on parking are there to ensure a good and equal degree of separation in case of fire. I then pointed out that a good many of the pitches had a caravan the size of a small bungalow parked on them along with a massive awning and the usual four wheel drive tow vehicle thrown in for good measure and that in fact there was next to bugger all separation between them and their next door neighbours. Therefore if they were to take a sensible risk assesment approach to the potential for fire spread it should be to those not readily moveable outfits that they should be directing their notes to and not a single solitary Cali parked no where near anything else.

My coments fell on predictably deaf ears. "Rules is rules" I was told.

We stopped at a very full CC site in Yorkshire last year. I reversed onto and parked in the middle of our allotted gravel hard standing. I didn't park as instructed with the rear offside corner adjacent to the white post as that would have ment having a hedge right up against the sliding door. So I suppose I was asking for it!

We were only staying one night so didn't use our awning room. Therefore I had actually parked our Cali midway between the great white on one side and the sterile side of the caravan on the other side.

On returning to our van later that night I discovered a note attached to the windscreen instructing us to "Please reposition your outfit correctly in accordance with the attached diagram". As it was well past eleven O'clock at night I felt that the last thing our neighbours would have wanted, was to have been disturbed by all the noise associated with bringing the roof down and repositioning the vehicle, so I ignored the note and went to bed. We left early the next morning but not before I had questioned the note with the wardens.

They correctly informed me that the rules on parking are there to ensure a good and equal degree of separation in case of fire. I then pointed out that a good many of the pitches had a caravan the size of a small bungalow parked on them along with a massive awning and the usual four wheel drive tow vehicle thrown in for good measure and that in fact there was next to bugger all separation between them and their next door neighbours. Therefore if they were to take a sensible risk assesment approach to the potential for fire spread it should be to those not readily moveable outfits that they should be directing their notes to and not a single solitary Cali parked no where near anything else.

My coments fell on predictably deaf ears. "Rules is rules" I was told.
I can see trouble looming. Once someone who obviously can see the merit of the argument but resorts to "following the rules" I come over all funny and my better half reaches for the tin hat.

But No! I shall behave and obediently comply

Mike

I can see trouble looming. Once someone who obviously can see the merit of the argument but resorts to "following the rules" I come over all funny and my better half reaches for the tin hat.

But No! I shall behave and obediently comply

Mike
.......and most of the time so shall I. Anything for a quiet life.
However, just once in a while l can't help myself.

.......and most of the time so shall I. Anything for a quiet life.
However, just once in a while l can't help myself.
I wonder why boats in a marina or even worse rafted up against each other are not required to have the separation required for caravans etc.
Same or worse fire risk, any butane gas leaks will enter the bilges and stay there, strange.

We stayed at a CC site once and on arrival were given a stern lecture in reception about which corner of the Cali had to be against the white post depending on which way round we were facing, something to do with privacy, didn't have the heart to tell them the Cali door wasn't on the "UK" side.
Ah well it keeps the warders busy!
I had a long conversation only yesterday with the warden at CC site (a very nice site, lovely wardens, BEST EVER shower block!). I asked if she minded which way round the Cali was parked, and she said the reasoning they specify was (a) privacy for neighbouring pitches so that you aren't staring at them sat in their awnings with their morning cuppa etc but, more importantly, (b) so that the spacing between units is maintained at the correct distance particularly when awnings are erected. She said there had been three serious fires over the last year on CC sites nationally, and in some cases the units either side of the fire had actually suffered melted sides the heat was so intense. In one case a motorhome had contained some loose rock pegs and an explosion from a gas container had shot these out and they had embedded in the neighbouring vehicle. Scary stuff.

The safety aspect is obviously very important. In a Cali, if you're not bothering with an awning, it doesn't really matter from a spacing point of view which way you face, and of course as noted above the door is on the 'wrong' side for UK sites anyway. I asked if it would be ok if I parked with the door on the sunny side and she was perfectly happy with that. I wasn't overlooking my neighbours anyway due to there not being any!

She did tell me that if people refuse to park with respect for the safety rules, the Club are within their rights to refund your fee and ask you to leave. Sometimes we think rules are a bit picky and could be massaged a bit but, having heard all about the safety issues, I totally get why they are so firm about how we park. Obviously the privacy thing loses some of its meaning when people are in units with European configuration like us. The thing is, if you don't want to follow the rules, I guess the answer is not to join the Club - there are plenty of less safety-conscious sites which are far less regulated and if safety isn't your main priority you can go to them! I particularly like the CC though as their membership seems to be formed from a high proportion of old farts like me who just want a quiet life!

I had a long conversation only yesterday with the warden at CC site (a very nice site, lovely wardens, BEST EVER shower block!). I asked if she minded which way round the Cali was parked, and she said the reasoning they specify was (a) privacy for neighbouring pitches so that you aren't staring at them sat in their awnings with their morning cuppa etc but, more importantly, (b) so that the spacing between units is maintained at the correct distance particularly when awnings are erected. She said there had been three serious fires over the last year on CC sites nationally, and in some cases the units either side of the fire had actually suffered melted sides the heat was so intense. In one case a motorhome had contained some loose rock pegs and an explosion from a gas container had shot these out and they had embedded in the neighbouring vehicle. Scary stuff.

The safety aspect is obviously very important. In a Cali, if you're not bothering with an awning, it doesn't really matter from a spacing point of view which way you face, and of course as noted above the door is on the 'wrong' side for UK sites anyway. I asked if it would be ok if I parked with the door on the sunny side and she was perfectly happy with that. I wasn't overlooking my neighbours anyway due to there not being any!

She did tell me that if people refuse to park with respect for the safety rules, the Club are within their rights to refund your fee and ask you to leave. Sometimes we think rules are a bit picky and could be massaged a bit but, having heard all about the safety issues, I totally get why they are so firm about how we park. Obviously the privacy thing loses some of its meaning when people are in units with European configuration like us. The thing is, if you don't want to follow the rules, I guess the answer is not to join the Club - there are plenty of less safety-conscious sites which are far less regulated and if safety isn't your main priority you can go to them! I particularly like the CC though as their membership seems to be formed from a high proportion of old farts like me who just want a quiet life!
Agreed and where safety is involved it is very important that someone is there to enforce the rules. I imagine that everyone agrees with this.
I believe the only point being made is that occasionally blind following of the rules can be wrong. I also believe though that when the rules are clearly being implemented without good reason and possibly to the detriment of safety they should be politely challenged.
I also accept though that the prime objective is to have a relaxing stay and therefore the occasional over enthusiastic implementation may need to be accepted. It doesn't though mean that they can't be questioned.
Also seeking a quiet life.

Mike

I would guess that the 6m rule is a somewhat arbitrary value plucked out of the air, rather like 5-a-day fruit and veg? :)

I do know for sure that fire does not respect the 6m (19.7') rule. I've seen posts recently, on here I believe, about a motor home that went up in flames and it reported that the flames was 40' (12.2m) high.

Anyhow back to planning another weekend away.

..me..

I would guess that the 6m rule is a somewhat arbitrary value plucked out of the air, rather like 5-a-day fruit and veg? :)

I do know for sure that fire does not respect the 6m (19.7') rule. I've seen posts recently, on here I believe, about a motor home that went up in flames and it reported that the flames was 40' (12.2m) high.

..me..

I think you will find it was a local authority fire requirement, goes back to when the Club(s) were given self-certification mandates.

This a copy of an email to the Caravan & Motorhome Club, and their reply.

Sent: 06 March 2017 15:24:04
To: UKSitesBookingService@camc.com
Subject: Club Site Parking on Pitch

Hi,I have a VW California Campervan, made and sold by VW. In consequence the Sliding door, used when camping, together with the roll-out awning is on the Off-Side ( Drivers side ) of the vehicle.
If I reverse park on the Pitch with the Off-side rear to the Pitch marker then that means I have my roll-out awning on the next-door pitch and also exit from the vehicle onto next-doors pitch.
How should I park to avoid upsetting other members and the Wardens?
I would suggest parking with the FRONT nearside to the Pitch marker.

Hi there Paul,

Thank you for your email sent to us on 6th March regarding your VW California and how to park on pitch.

Because all of sites have varying pitch sizes and they are not all laid out the same, please contact the site direct.

The warden of each site would be more than happy to discuss that with you and give you some guidance.

Please be assured that you and your VW California would be more than welcome to stay on our sties.

I hope that helps. If you need any further assistance from the Club, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Nicky Summerfield
Email Support Team
Caravan and Motorhome Club
East Grinstead House, East Grinstead, RH19 1UA
+44 (0)1342 336871
www.CAMC.com

..me..
I stand to be corrected but unless things have changed in the last twelve years, the 6 metre rule comes from Model Standards put in place by the Secretary of State decades ago in order to offer guidance on a range of issues to do with running Caravan sites of all types. These standards are not law but purely advisory. Fire Authorities and Local Authorities use them as guidance when formulating reports to site owners. Once the site has completed the work to the Local Authorities satisfaction they may issue a licence to operate the site. The 6 metre separation rule would therefore form part of the conditions of the licence to operate the site.

However, it's been years since I had anything to do with this sort of thing so I might well be talking total clap trap. :Nailbiting

Last edited:
I've always believed that

"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the strict obedience of fools".

:happy

As Welshgas posting said - on club sites you usually end up going in front first, if you pitch this way with a drive-away awning with the opening at the front you can end up with it opening into hedges etc.

If you don't use an awning you are allowed to park either way round as long as you are in the middle of the pitch.

What I don't like is, with the current Caravan club rules its set up for car, Caravan , awning in that order across the pitch, with any motorhome / van you end up not using the car space for anything, but have the adjacent pitches car inches away from your awning.

If they reverted to caravan, awning, car you maintain the same spacing & if you don't have a car you get space around the awning.

What I don't like is, with the current Caravan club rules its set up for car, Caravan , awning in that order across the pitch, with any motorhome / van you end up not using the car space for anything, but have the adjacent pitches car inches away from your awning.

If they reverted to caravan, awning, car you maintain the same spacing & if you don't have a car you get space around the awning.

I don't get why they have this setup, you'd think if you had to look at a car it should be your own or as you say a bit of space if you have a Cali or motorhome.

I stand to be corrected but unless things have changed in the last twelve years, the 6 metre rule comes from Model Standards put in place by the Secretary of State decades ago in order to offer guidance on a range of issues to do with running Caravan sites of all types. These standards are not law but purely advisory. Fire Authorities and Local Authorities use them as guidance when formulating reports to site owners. Once the site has completed the work to the Local Authorities satisfaction they may issue a licence to operate the site. The 6 metre separation rule would therefore form part of the conditions of the licence to operate the site.

However, it's been years since I had anything to do with this sort of thing so I might well be talking total clap trap. :Nailbiting
That is pretty much how my site licence dictates spacing on my park. 6m between units whether they be lodges, static caravans, tourers or tents.

Was in the C&CC for 39 years and only had encounters with really serious jobsworths a couple of times. seemed like retired Sergeant Major types.
Have joined the CC or C&MC (sounds like some fetish thing) as they have more level hard standings which will suit my occasional site use. Must admit though that previously I always viewed this club as a bit 'snooty'. Time will tell.
We were touring van users then fell out with it due to our constant inability to book a year in advance so ending up on a poor site.

At the time the CC was a godsend, if we could get on the relief of the regimentation was great. Some commercial busy sites had us parked in long rows a few feet apart and the cars parked somewhere else. I am annoyed just writing this as i remember the bad old days. So arriving on a calm CC one was great.

It was still annoying being read the rules on arrival. Along with a little model of the pitch and white post with a fake car and van. Happy days

I may have posted this before (or elsewhere) and if so I apologise... but my general rule of thumb is not to use ANY site where the list of do's and don'ts fills or nearly fills an A4 page!

Just booked site in colwyn bay for weekend and informed I have to drive into the pitch and won't have the view. Regimented even before I get there. Feel ever so slightly deflated and 'free spirit' slightly dented. But that's all in my head and I can carry the chairs round the side for view and the sun is going to shine too.

Just booked site in colwyn bay for weekend and informed I have to drive into the pitch and won't have the view. Regimented even before I get there. Feel ever so slightly deflated and 'free spirit' slightly dented. But that's all in my head and I can carry the chairs round the side for view and the sun is going to shine too.
:Iamsorry But I don't see how that is regimented. Probably booked up, so no pitches with view available and if you don't want your Sliding door and Awning facing next doors Awning you would have to drive on rather than reverse onto the pitch. I would have thought that's the Warden being helpful and informative so that you know what to expect when you arrive. If you want a pitch with a view then you'll have to be a bit quicker of the mark.

Back