Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carrying a motor scooter on the back

IanE

IanE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just wondered if anyone has done it/looked into it? You see plenty of motorhomes with what looks like a platform attached to the rear, but we haven't seen a VW T5 doing it? Clearly there'd be difficulties getting the tailgate open with the scooter/small motorbike in place! Just seems a lovely lazy alternative to push bikes. We do have one electric bike which is great but lacks range - acknowledging that the Kalkhoff does very well!

Cheers

Ian

Cheers Danny - wow! Don't think I fancy lashing a scooter to the bottom of our VW bike rack!

It was on a dave cooper motor bike rack which goes on the towbar. The towbar has a nose weight limit of about 110kg so could have almost put 2 monkey bikes on the back! The bike rack was filled with camping bits in a fiamma bag

7 year thread revival :)
Just seen the Piaggio One electric scooter advertised. £2000. Looks good and with a weight of just 49Kg I assume I could carry it on my Thule Velospace XT3 which has a Max Load capacity of 60Kg.
Thoughts?

28470BC2-5CE7-491B-8E5C-EC0924757545.png

Last edited:
7 year thread revival :)
Just seen the Piaggio One electric scooter advertised. £2000. Looks good and with a weight of just 49Kg I assume I could carry it on my Thule Velospace XT3 which has a Max Load capacity of 60Kg.
Thoughts?

View attachment 86048
Great idea. How would you charge it when away from home? Could you use the EHU on sites?

Great idea. How would you charge it when away from home? Could you use the EHU on sites?
Yes, would need to rely on campsite hookup I think. I have an additional cable with a T off to a 3-pin socket so could easily charge it outside the van.
The Piaggio One only has a range of 35 miles, but they do a version called the One+ that has double the range. Not sure of the weight of that one?

Yes, would need to rely on campsite hookup I think. I have an additional cable with a T off to a 3-pin socket so could easily charge it outside the van.
The Piaggio One only has a range of 35 miles, but they do a version called the One+ that has double the range. Not sure of the weight of that one?
35 miles is enough to pop out to a shop / takeaway / park near the beach for 99.9% of our trips. Looks worthy of further investigation.

Its £2500 for the slowest one, the battery is removable so weight in transit could be quite a bit less.

Last edited:
For access to rear via tailgate I'd favour a sideload trailer. Clearance may need checking with tailgate upswing.
No weight issue with Scooter giving a wider product range to select from.

.http://www.cmftrailers.co.uk/side-load-trailers.html

Last edited:
For access to rear via tailgate I'd favour a sideload trailer. Clearance ma need checking with tailgate upswing.
No weight issue with Scooter giving a wider product range to select from.

.http://www.cmftrailers.co.uk/side-load-trailers.html
I would sooner have a trailer than put extra strain on the rear suspension. If you got a box trailer although expensive you could carry all your extra stuff in there.
You would hardly know you were towing it.

I would sooner have a trailer than put extra strain on the rear suspension. If you got a box trailer although expensive you could carry all your extra stuff in there.
You would hardly know you were towing it.
Lost me there as it is a trailer that I suggested.

Interesting review here https://www.wired.co.uk/article/piaggio-one-review

One thing is sure, the more options that come to market the better the costs/choices will be. I'm not following the e motorbike market closely but it appears slower than the car market to offer sensible/low cost choices.

The Piaggio 1 seems a bit low seat wise.

That article suggests that there is an EV grant available that brings it down from £2500 to £2011

OK, i’ve checked the weight. Here’s a reply from a supplier:

Hi Mike

The Piaggio 1 and 1 Active weigh in at 85kg and 94kg respectively. The battery is 10kg for the 1 or 15kg for the Active. If the weight rules are strict for your carrier then you are looking at 15 or 20kg over your limit with the battery removed. We supply a lot of scooters for motorhome use, 60kg sounds very low compared to most, but the VW is a smaller vehicle than some I guess.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Ron Daley Scooters

I carry my Grom on the back of the bus. 90kg. Been across Europe several times. Barely notice it weight wise.
3F012425-8A5C-45D6-9D1F-E1CFC2C189C6.jpeg

Interesting @sidepod .
I don’t think the weight of a Piaggio 1 is a problem for the Cali’ but Thule has a max load of 60Kg for the XT3 rack.

This has been covered to death. (Search function!) There is a rack on the market (Fiamma I think) that is rated to 600kg.

I made mine based on that design.

This has been covered to death. (Search function!) There is a rack on the market (Fiamma I think) that is rated to 600kg.

I made mine based on that design.
Just a cautionary note

What are the requirements to fit a type approved tow bar?

If you wish to tow anything with a car, which was first used on or after the 1 August 1998 the car must be fitted with a type approved tow bar.