Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
VW Carstick for sale, used, £50 including postage

94D4253D-61B2-4061-8BAF-2F949F2AC5BB.jpeg

87B19654-5B8C-463C-8F04-DF6457D52F8A.jpeg

Last edited:
What does it do?
I asked myself the same question.

I have just asked Google and it has replied with.....

"In-car Wi-Fi and Volkswagen Car-Net services! The CarStick LTE works as a hotspot, giving you unlimited internet access inside your Volkswagen. It works with the Discover Media radio navigation system to establish an internet connection from inside the vehicle.

As it has its own SIM card slot (SIM card not included), the CarStick LTE allows you to use the Wi-Fi hotspot and mobile online services without having to connect it to your smartphone (tethering). So people whose smartphones do not have this function can still access the internet without any problems. Advantage: data service costs can be calculated more precisely. When travelling abroad, use a local SIM card with the CarStick LTE to better manage the costs.

Pre-paid SIM cards are best for this. Depending on the vehicle in use and which country you are in, the CarStick can also be used to generate an internet connection for mobile online services (Volkswagen CarNet). Simply plug it into the vehicle's existing USB socket and off you go."

I do not know whether some coding or configuration may be required for this to function though!

Alan you are quite right, tba what I used it for really was to connect the Discover Media unit online so it could use the online services it provides

We had Discovery Navigation System Plus, with Guide & lnformation was told we needed to get a Car Stick to turn or Cali into a " Hot Spot " never did. So missed out on a whole lot of tethered services it seems.

Yep and only £50 bargain to get the most from you media system

Is there any benefit over using your mobile as a hotspot? Presumably you would have to pay for an additional sim and data to use this?

Is there any benefit over using your mobile as a hotspot? Presumably you would have to pay for an additional sim and data to use this?

from memory you have to actually connect the phone each time but with the stick it automatically connects to the media unit, yes you need a SIM card but the media unit uses very little data, I used a gif gaf sim and don’t recall topping it up tba

I use my mobile phone to connect. I just have to remember to turn on the Hotspot function. Also check that your provider supports tethering (i.e. the use of your phone as a Hotspot for other devices).

Works pretty well but it can take a minute of so to connect when you get in. As @VWDrooper says it uses very little data.

Connection provides nice things like on-line traffic info, sending destinations to the unit from your computer at home, local fuel prices, etc. You will need the VW Car-Net subscription as well for all this to work but this is bundled for the first 3 years and then about £60 a year after. Importantly, this subscription also inculdeds updates to the Sat Nav mapping data.

Still for sale? I’ll take it please

Back