Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ccomfortz awning room... skirt in or out!

O

oliver100

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
In anticipation of using our new comfortz awning room this weekend I wondered if someone could give a definitive answer as to whether the skirt the the bottom of the awning should go on on the inside or outside of the awning? I have seen various different pictures but some have it in and others out and pegged using the main pegs (like below) but but I wondered if anyone knew how it was originally designed to be used...

awning.png

In anticipation of using our new comfortz awning room this weekend I wondered if someone could give a definitive answer as to whether the skirt the the bottom of the awning should go on on the inside or outside of the awning? I have seen various different pictures but some have it in and others out and pegged using the main pegs (like below) but but I wondered if anyone knew how it was originally designed to be used...

View attachment 79160
Always out, otherwise your enclosed area will get wet and boggy

I put mine in and the used inter locking rubber mats over the whole area. Stopped it getting boggy or any draughts getting underneath.

I put mine inside, not had any issues in the rain. I wouldn't peg it as per the above photo, I would peg the upper hole with bungee out at an angle and tuck the skirt right under and peg that inside.

I'm going to hedge my bets and say it depends on whether you're using a groundsheet inside or not. If not, then peg out as shown and it will direct water away from the tent, if you are using a groundsheet then fold it in under the GS so that water is directed under the GS and not allowed to run on top of it at the edges.

Whether it's in or out, please report back on using it. We've got one that came with the van when we bought it, but we have yet to try it!

Thanks for all the replies and I’ll report back on how we get on with it calicarol

View attachment 79160
We have the Comfort A R always out for us, but there’s no right or wrong way it’s personal preference.

The skirt is designed to go inside. Then you can put a groundsheet over the inner part which will stop any water from coming in. It’s worked well for us for 6 years so not going to change now.

We tried our AR recently, bought new, no instructions came with it, very easy to fit though, decided it made sense for the skirts to be outside so that any rain would be directed away, but once we get a large enough groundsheet will maybe try them inside.

The early model of the Comfortz room didn’t have the skirts and you didn’t have much of a choice but to take the sides all the way to the ground. it’s a massive improvement with the skirts regardless wether you have them inside or outside, whatever works for you.