Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ceramic paint (and interior) protection

We too are keen on getting our yet-to-be-picked-up Ocean as well protected as possible from day one and have been looking at:
- not getting the garage-offered external LifeShine or the upholstery protection as I'm not convinced how high the quality or work is.
- getting a ceramic coat. I've been asking around for quotes - can anyone recommend somewhere/someone brilliant for this? We live in East London so anything around here Essex-ways or the not-too-distant South East would be good.
- getting some kind of upholstery protection. Is Scotchguard still a thing? Has anyone done this themselves or had it done? It's impressive how sensitive the Cali's upholstery is - even a couple rain drops seem to leave marks, and it's exhausting to have to be so careful around it!

I'm not great/confident at applying these things myself so I am happy to pay for someone's time and expertise. And I'd be grateful for anyone's recommendations for people/places/products. Thank you all!

We too are keen on getting our yet-to-be-picked-up Ocean as well protected as possible from day one and have been looking at:
- not getting the garage-offered external LifeShine or the upholstery protection as I'm not convinced how high the quality or work is.
- getting a ceramic coat. I've been asking around for quotes - can anyone recommend somewhere/someone brilliant for this? We live in East London so anything around here Essex-ways or the not-too-distant South East would be good.
- getting some kind of upholstery protection. Is Scotchguard still a thing? Has anyone done this themselves or had it done? It's impressive how sensitive the Cali's upholstery is - even a couple rain drops seem to leave marks, and it's exhausting to have to be so careful around it!

I'm not great/confident at applying these things myself so I am happy to pay for someone's time and expertise. And I'd be grateful for anyone's recommendations for people/places/products. Thank you all!
Yes you’re thinking the right way if you ask me (which you sort-of-have). I had my Cali’s front end done with ppf, the whole exterior (including glass, excluding windscreen) ceramic coated (Gtechniq Ultra) and the interior ‘ceramic coated’ for about £1800.
It is a great investment I think. Water beads off the windows, stone chips ‘self heal’ and dirt seems to fall off, or blasts off cleanly with a jet washer.
Azuri in Stevenage do a great job

Yes you’re thinking the right way if you ask me (which you sort-of-have). I had my Cali’s front end done with ppf, the whole exterior (including glass, excluding windscreen) ceramic coated (Gtechniq Ultra) and the interior ‘ceramic coated’ for about £1800.
It is a great investment I think. Water beads off the windows, stone chips ‘self heal’ and dirt seems to fall off, or blasts off cleanly with a jet washer.
Azuri in Stevenage do a great job
New Cali owner here, due to pick up up my brand new Ocean in a couple of weeks' time. I just wanted to bump this thread to see how your experiences on this protection have been 18months further down the line? I've been reading through plenty of threads with interest ahead of the big day and have been in touch with Azuri / pretty much made my mind up that a ceramic coating via them was the way to go .. but would be interested in how this has lasted / any further valuable experience to share.

Also, in looking to finalise insurance this week, when speaking to Safeguard this morning they mentioned that they wouldn't be able to insure the vehicle if i added the ceramic coating, this being a modification that they can't insure... was pretty surprised by this (perhaps naively)... did you have any such insurance trouble due to his / can i ask who you're insured with?

Thanks!

Possible reason that Safeguard won't offer cover is down to cost.
In the event that an accident required a respray as part of the repair process the paint has to fully cure before the ceramic coating can be applied, a one month period advised otherwise there is a high probability of the ceramic not sealing correctly. This time and ceramic reapplication would be very costly to Safeguard.

Note this is just a theory gleaned from reading online articles.

to see how your experiences on this protection have been 18months further down the line?
No regrets. A bit pricey looking back, but the van still looks mint. Make sure you’re absolutely clear what they are doing for you. They didn’t have the new (6.1) bumper template so they ceramic coated it and instead ppf’d the wing mirrors, which I had thought they’d agreed to ppf anyway.
You might also ask how they correct the paint before ceramic coating it. Mine still looks a little “orange-peeley” in some lights. It polishes up well though.
Topaz are the best in the business, so might be worth getting a quote from them.
For the price I’m happy with Azuri.

Possible reason that Safeguard won't offer cover is down to cost.
In the event that an accident required a respray as part of the repair process the paint has to fully cure before the ceramic coating can be applied, a one month period advised otherwise there is a high probability of the ceramic not sealing correctly. This time and ceramic reapplication would be very costly to Safeguard.

Note this is just a theory gleaned from reading online articles.
Really appreciate the thoughts / theory! I honestly didn’t even think this would be part of the conversation with an insurer…. Naturally the only reason for the initial application is the long term upkeep of the vehicle (plus, I chose black, which I understand is typically hard to keep clean!)

No regrets. A bit pricey looking back, but the van still looks mint. Make sure you’re absolutely clear what they are doing for you. They didn’t have the new (6.1) bumper template so they ceramic coated it and instead ppf’d the wing mirrors, which I had thought they’d agreed to ppf anyway.
You might also ask how they correct the paint before ceramic coating it. Mine still looks a little “orange-peeley” in some lights. It polishes up well though.
Topaz are the best in the business, so might be worth getting a quote from them.
For the price I’m happy with Azuri.
Thanks so much, really appreciate it. I’ve already spoken to Topaz also, but their quote for ppf is quite a considerable distance from the ceramic coating from Azuri. Based on research of both, it seems those that have gone for the ceramic on this forum have been really positive about the decision (appreciate you’re naturally going to be biased towards the decision you’ve made, especially at the level of investment we’re talking about here!). It doesn’t seem like ppf gets the same positive review, especially for the comparative cost (ceramic coating being about £1200 vs full ppf at about £5k!).

Insurance impact may play a part in this decision though, which I wasn’t expecting.

Thanks so much, really appreciate it. I’ve already spoken to Topaz also, but their quote for ppf is quite a considerable distance from the ceramic coating from Azuri. Based on research of both, it seems those that have gone for the ceramic on this forum have been really positive about the decision (appreciate you’re naturally going to be biased towards the decision you’ve made, especially at the level of investment we’re talking about here!). It doesn’t seem like ppf gets the same positive review, especially for the comparative cost (ceramic coating being about £1200 vs full ppf at about £5k!).

Insurance impact may play a part in this decision though, which I wasn’t expecting.
They're different products though. Whilst ceramic might just avoid a stone chip, its really designed to help keep the van clean easily, protect the paint from UV/birds etc.
I ppf'd the front end because the van is such a brick. It's supposedly 'self-healing' so I paid that bit extra to protect the front. As it stands, 3 years and 10,000 miles later, it all looks brand new. Who knows if I'd have stone chips on the bonnet otherwise.
What impact on insurance have you seen?

They're different products though. Whilst ceramic might just avoid a stone chip, its really designed to help keep the van clean easily, protect the paint from UV/birds etc.
I ppf'd the front end because the van is such a brick. It's supposedly 'self-healing' so I paid that bit extra to protect the front. As it stands, 3 years and 10,000 miles later, it all looks brand new. Who knows if I'd have stone chips on the bonnet otherwise.
What impact on insurance have you seen?
Yeah totally appreciate the difference, but both new to me so just trying to do all the research i can, and appreciating the comments / experienced opinions on this forum. Good to know your ppf has held up well and that you're happy with the decision! I have thought about the front end ppf also.

One of my better insurance quotes is via Safegaurd, without the need for a tracker too, but they won't insure me if i get a ceramic coating. I called again today to check whether any difference if i went the ppf route but the same outcome. The alternative preferred insurance provider is via a broker (requiring tracker), and my point of contact there is away until Monday - waiting to hear from them as to whether the ceramic / ppf has the same effect on their quote!

Yeah totally appreciate the difference, but both new to me so just trying to do all the research i can, and appreciating the comments / experienced opinions on this forum. Good to know your ppf has held up well and that you're happy with the decision! I have thought about the front end ppf also.

One of my better insurance quotes is via Safegaurd, without the need for a tracker too, but they won't insure me if i get a ceramic coating. I called again today to check whether any difference if i went the ppf route but the same outcome. The alternative preferred insurance provider is via a broker (requiring tracker), and my point of contact there is away until Monday - waiting to hear from them as to whether the ceramic / ppf has the same effect on their quote!
So if you didn’t mention it, and didn’t expect it to be replaced if you clanged it?