Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Chamonix recommendations

T

TwoDogs

VIP Member
Anyone got a recommendation for a campsite within walking distance of central Chamonix? (For now, not winter)
TIA

Anyone got a recommendation for a campsite within walking distance of central Chamonix? (For now, not winter)
TIA
Will ask my friend who lives there

Apologies for this format couldn't find another way of sharing the information hope this helps IMG_4660.PNG IMG_4661.PNG

Les deux glacier campsite. You get free bus transport into chamonix. Bus stop 2 mins down the road. Really good site and bus service.went June last year
View from the campsite is stunning

Last edited:
Nothing to add re campsites as I've only ever been to Cham skiing but the bus service to chamonix centre is good,free and frequent and it is a fantastic place-scenery and bars/cafes/shops/restaurants etc

I just park beside Lac Les Gaillands (74400 Chamonix.) There are almost always a few campers there, and Le Vert Hotel nearby offers a good pint, and food. 10 minute walk into the centre. The road traffic is minimal overnight.

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 15.44.59.png

Will ask my friend who lives there
Can really recommend Ile des Barrats - lovely atmosphere. 10 mins to centre of town 10 mins to ok super market. Fantastic town. Vibrant. Not the cheapest place to visit though.

We stayed in Camping Mer de Glace 2 yrs ago. It's about half an hour on foot but it's a nice walk and you come out right by MBC(micro-brasserie Chamonix)..jugs of beer, live music and good food. The bus is free.

Thanks for the suggestions folks...we tried Ile des Barratts but it had just closed for the season. We found another one just around the corner, actually closer to town....Camping Les Arrolles. Small and basic, but clean and quiet...

We stayed at Arolles - very handy for town and reasonable / good facilities - run by an old chap on his own. lots of mountain type people and fun.

Back