Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Change from an Ocean

I had considered an Eriba, but the wife would want an 8ft wide twin axle job.

Iv'e run out of room on the drive, a caravan would mean storage elsewhere so not conducive to a quick weekend get away.

Towing a 22ft wobble box round the NC500 Isn't my idea of fun, also tow anything behind a cali in France & its 55mph limit on the motorway.

If I do change from the Ocean, I may have to change the Morgan for something a bit more practical - like a new Morgan. So suddenly Im spending an extra £40k just to have an ensuite in the van. That same £40k would get us a villa with a pool for about 60 weeks off peak in Spain.
You could always go for the Eriba Puck. We did Scotland and the Islands a few years ago without any issues. We were able to house the Puck in our garage due to it’s size. An excellent little caravan that is very easy to tow.

Temperatures during the day in the mountains (Scotland,alps,etc) can stay below 3 that means if you are off grid then you waste diesel and leisure battery power to stop van doing it.
Having heated tanks is a very good idea.

It needs to be a long way below 3 to actually freeze anything in the van though. You just need to make a judgement call as to whether its going to be cold enough for long enough to actually freeze anything. On our roller team the dump valve was a bit sensitive, we had to put a clothes peg on it to keep the button in to stop it draining if we were using the van in winter.

Can you set the heating at say 5 degrees just to keep everything just warm enough but use minimal diesel etc. ? isn't the waste tank the only external one?

My tanks are inside the van not heated, have thought about adding a little heat pad.
The water has only froze a couple of times in 3 1/2yrs and been in the alps for a whole winter and braemar area for a couple of winters.
It doesn’t have the dump function which I would find more of a problem at 3 degrees over a frozen tank.
I think VW should be offering a winterised pack for the GC and can see them doing this in the future (fingers crossed).
If the 600 GC had a bigger roof bed like the joker and heated tanks/underfloor heating and 4x4. That would be my ideal van.

That comment about speed limits got me checking - I can only find one website that suggests a 3.5Tnne GC is treated differently to an Ocean in France & about 20 that say its the same ie 130kmh on a motorway. Thats assuming an Ocean is classed as a Campervan & the GC as a motorhome.
Hunting for detailed info and stumbled on this bit of regulations???

Vehicles exceeding 3,500kg in France

All motorhomes and caravans (not combined with towing vehicle) with a total weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes must have a sticker showing the position of the blind spots, visible on the sides and at the rear of the vehicle. These regulations are in force since 1 January 2021.

The stickers:

• Must be visible from the sides and rear of the vehicle, and at a height between 0.90 and 1.50 meters from the ground.
  • Can be glued, painted on the bodywork or affixed by riveting or any other means of fixing.
  • Must be placed so as to be visible at all times.
  • Must not obstruct the visibility of the vehicle's registration plates and various lights and signalling devices as well as the driver's field of vision.
  • Must comply with the model set by the decree of 5 January 2021.
  • Foreign vehicles passing through France are also subject to this signing obligation.
To view the stickers and more information, please visit https://www.securite-routiere.gouv.fr

Note: There are no specific blind spot stickers for motorhomes or caravans so you can use either of the stickers listed on the link above. There is no official distribution point for the stickers at present, but these can be purchased online at most big retailers (Amazon, ebay etc.).

Ref speed

France​

VehicleMotorwaysOther roads
Car + caravan under 3.5t81mph, 130km/h50mph, 80km/h
Car + caravan over 3.5t56mph, 90km/h50mph, 80km/h
Motorhome under 3.5t81mph, 130km/h50mph, 80km/h
Motorhome over 3.5t68mph, 110km/h50mph, 80km/h

I would be looking at one plated at 3.5tnne so same limits as the Ocean / a car.
However I did find one website that suggested a difference between Campervans & motorhomes irrespective of weight.
With even under 3.5tnne motorhomes having a reduced limit. I don't want any of those blind spot stickers either - saw a van covered in them on the motorway the other day looked like they covered half the van!

I don't want any of those blind spot stickers either - saw a van covered in them on the motorway the other day looked like they covered half the van!
Magnetic stickers are available, only use them when you are in France.
Edit: especially as you will have a tin van.

Realistically for how much longer will your 18yo want to keep going camping with mam and dad?
Our lad is 8 and we decided to order a new Cali last year with the vague assumption we'll keep it for 10 years, and after that (if you can still use diesels in 2032!), well if he still wants to come with us he can bring my little 4 season tent and sleep outside!

Realistically for how much longer will your 18yo want to keep going camping with mam and dad?

She comes with us once a year at the moment - if we are heading to the Med.
I don't anticipate that happening for much longer.Hence I think the upper bed will be fine for the foreseeable.

Hi Jen

(I’m assuming you still have the cali.)
But
what’s your go to van to go away in now after owning the hymer a while
I have owned loads and still do love California’s but it’s definitely an easier experience in my opinion owning a 6mtr van
One Cali gone and waiting on the next arriving, which my son tells me will be in about 6 months time!!

With my lifestyle now there is no hesitation: the Hymer is a far better camping experience. In fact I'm in it now, Birmingham for the running show at the NEC tomorrow.

Until 2018 only a cali would do. The emphasis was on driving long distances, my average stay on site was 1.6 days, and going to places where it was definitely a case of the smaller and lower the better. Since then with Mum's long departure from us, my sister acquiring a caravan, my get-aways are more traditional, 5 or 6 days in one place and using the bicycles to tour around in.

yes, there are downsides: it is a bigger lump to drive but I have the 180ps engine mated to the 9 speed auto so the 160 miles drive to get here today was a doddle. I've lost the ability to limbo under height barriers but I've gained acres of neat storage at eye level and I'm not worried about electric roof failure, wind ripping the roof off or driving off with roof not closed properly. The couple of mm of extra width gives me a fixed transverse bed and makes turning the captains chairs round totally easy and from inside. I'm only half a metre longer at 5.4m yet that gives me a washroom and a super comfortable fixed bed at the back.

Inside the layout makes for easy living. The dinette, kitchen, washroom and bedroom are all distinct so there is no need to move one thing to action another. My Dinette table comes out from its stowage space and does not obstruct anything, the kitchen cupboards are all accessible, and the bed's there to flop on to at any time.

Sold my last two calis on here too….
the first callers so it’s a no brainier …

Well the deed is done, deposit paid.

Now working out how to get the best price for my van.
Nice one Andy, you don’t hang about! What have you gone for?
Also, I sold my Cali on here within a few days. Price It right and it will sell I’m sure.

Grey & silver two tone 600 with the essential for us extra bed & some of the bits I wanted - awning, LED headlights, power fold mirrors, rear camera, heated seats & screen & a few other bits.

It’s pre - registered with 20 miles on the clock, been locked in the compound & all the plastic protection etc still on it. So other than the date on the V5 brand new. Dealer not allowed to release it for another 5 weeks though.

It’s not got the diesel heating or solar that I would have liked, but there aren’t exactly hundreds to choose from if you want one for this summer.

Grey & silver two tone 600 with the essential for us extra bed & some of the bits I wanted - awning, LED headlights, power fold mirrors, rear camera, heated seats & screen & a few other bits.

It’s pre - registered with 20 miles on the clock, been locked in the compound & all the plastic protection etc still on it. So other than the date on the V5 brand new. Dealer not allowed to release it for another 5 weeks though.

It’s not got the diesel heating or solar that I would have liked, but there aren’t exactly hundreds to choose from if you want one for this summer.
I think that two tone colour looks very cool.
Wow and only having 5 weeks to wait I wish someone would say the same to me.
Is that down for March new reg then?

No, registered by the dealer just before Xmas but not allowed to be released until end Feb.
They had a couple of vans there on Saturday that hadn’t been listed anywhere, other than stored in the compound all now sold. They got a surprise batch straight from Vw somehow.

No, registered by the dealer just before Xmas but not allowed to be released until end Feb.
They had a couple of vans there on Saturday that hadn’t been listed anywhere, other than stored in the compound all now sold. They got a surprise batch straight from Vw somehow.
That’s cool ….
one benefit of buying a grand is there’s a chance someone will have a brand new one sitting there in stock ready…
With my westy I just had to watch utube and wait a year

Great colour combi, well done! Look forward to seeing some pics and hearing your initial thoughts.

Last edited:
That’s cool ….
one benefit of buying a grand is there’s a chance someone will have a brand new one sitting there in stock ready…
Just found out yesterday that we will have to wait until the end of the year to get our Westie, if we’re lucky. Was supposed to be July. Deposit paid last August.

That’s cool ….

Theres more pre-reg Oceans than Grands out there at the moment. Its just a case of being in the right place at the right time. I couldn't find any other unused vans, there's a couple of demos that have been camped in.

We went to look at a second hand van just to see if the bed was big enough with no intention of buying that particular van, we didn't know that there were two new vans there & we had asked before travelling.

Last edited:
Theres more pre-reg Oceans than Grands out there at the moment. Its just a case of being in the right place at the right time. I couldn't find any other unused vans, there's a couple of demos that have been camped in.

We went to look at a second hand van just to see if the bed was big enough with no intention of buying that particular van, we didn't know that there were two new vans there & we had asked before travelling.
When I collect my Gc600 I am wishing I was to know - must buying noise cancel headphone for driving to home. I am before Ocean - nice quiet sounds when drive.

My new Gc600 when is drive is sound same than putting plates cups and metal eating wares inside clothes washer fast speed tumbles!.

What a terrible noise makes Gc600!, Everything is rittle rattles! Cupboards doors, toilet everything inside and especially back bed - all is singing together same than orchestra top crescendo!. I nearly return it and take back Ocean but was sold already same day!.

Make sure taking ear plugs when collect - unless you will enjoy the Vw Gc600 Symphony!
Is good front drives radiogram can make high volume louder is crashes rites rattles comes behind!.

We have a Cali. Love it but want to overcome it’s obvious limitations for longer, more remote trips.

We were excited about the GC 680 but don’t think VW have the basics right. That upright seat and sleeps-only-two thing plus sleeping ventilation forced us to look further.

Now waiting to view the Westphalia James Cook 2022 model with pop-top and extendable rear end to give longitudinal bed.
That machine might give the flexibility we want matched with good build quality.

After 8 years of SE/Ocean ownership we are seriously considering changing to a GC600, the business mileage that I do in the Ocean has drastically reduced & I don't need it to double up as an everyday car, I'm limited to 6m by our available parking & the GC to me feels like the best fit for our needs I still have a couple of reservations & spec queries:

1. comfort of the rear seat.
The two girls could be perched on it for many hours, in the Ocean they tend to fall asleep & lean against the side of the van or fridge.
I can see that who ever gets the kitchen side in a GC is just going to fall off, with nothing to lean against. Has anyone seen any clever ideas - a folding armrest off of one of the front seats would be perfect, or anything along those lines?

2. LED headlights, we have them on the Ocean & love them, do we need them, how bad are the halogen lights?

3. Heating options. all currently available vans have gas+ electric heating, I had persuaded myself that I really wanted Diesel/electric just so we are not reliant on gas other than for the hob. Consumption then would be similar to the Ocean & a decent size bottle would be more than sufficient for a 3/4 week trip. If specifying a new van there are about 4 different heating options with auxiliary heaters etc what are they for.

4. Bluetooth rear speakers, I can see them on an options list but have no information about them.

5. Cooling in summer - has anyone camped in 30+ degrees - does the rear bed get hot, do we need the roof aircon or is there sufficient airflow or do the the blackout blinds stop the through draft.

6. Cab aircon - is good enough to cool the whole van whilst on the move? are there any aircon / heater outlets guiding air to the rear seat passengers?

7. Anyone. know of any pre-registered or new vans out there that are not showing on the VW system? I am struggling to find a dealer with an acceptable spec van that will give a decent trade in on an Ocean, they are all one or the other.

8. Lastly do ocean wheels fit a GC -am thinking specifically of my 17" winter steels, the rims have sufficient load rating. There appear to be a lot of ebay ads for wheels suggesting that they would fit.
The one thing we did not get and regret is the solar panel with only one leisure battery it is vital.

We have a Cali. Love it but want to overcome it’s obvious limitations for longer, more remote trips.

We were excited about the GC 680 but don’t think VW have the basics right. That upright seat and sleeps-only-two thing plus sleeping ventilation forced us to look further.

Now waiting to view the Westphalia James Cook 2022 model with pop-top and extendable rear end to give longitudinal bed.
That machine might give the flexibility we want matched with good build quality.
I enquired about one Jan 2020 the ones at the shows back then were preproduction models, still not sure if they have gone into production.
The one I priced came out at £110k basic spec 4x4 and that was 2yrs ago!
If you have deep pockets then it does look amazing!

Back