Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing spec - Delay order or not ?

Dippa

Dippa

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
If you change your spec after you've ordered you Cali, does this delay your order ?

I ordered my cali on the 03/09/2021 and was told my build date is May, ready for June. Since then I've changed my spec on the 06/11/2021.

Changed from a 150 to 204 4M

Best ask your dealer, might depend on the availability of the extra 2motions you added.

Best ask your dealer, might depend on the availability of the extra 2motions you added.
He said there wasn't any issue the other day but since VW have announced this price rise without protection after June 2022, I'm not thinking it'll delay it. I'll see what my dealer says tomorrow

It all depends on the supply chain lottery and if you had an allocated manufacturing slot “confirmed build date”

if your vehicle was allocated a confirmed build date this could (probably will) affect delivery date (delay) if no confirmed manufacturer date then it goes into the Master schedule lottery as to when it will be scheduled to be built. VW will prioritise build schedules to suit the availability of components and base vans.
It a highly complex planning process and one that is not transparent.
a fairer way would be to say old current order will be Honoured, future orders take a possible hit on variable price ( If that’s what VW want to do).
Clearly major manufacturers are having a hard time and are looking to the loyal customers to bail them out of the mess they are in Now and in future.

looks like the thin edge of the wedge = We as the manufacturer cant tell you at point of order when you will get your vehicle, we will tell you what we think is realistic at the time of order, but we really don’t have any idea and how much we tell you the vehicle is is not necessarily the same as you are going to pay when it eventually arrives!
and if our estimated delivery date is significantly longer, through no fault of yours, we as the manufacturer reserve the right to make you the customer pay for the issues we are / have experienced because our supply chain won’t let us beat them up like we have done historically!

IMO the poop is going to hit the fan with some major Names not just cars

He said there wasn't any issue the other day but since VW have announced this price rise without protection after June 2022, I'm not thinking it'll delay it. I'll see what my dealer says tomorrow
That was yesterday! :headbang
the rules change today, so we longer stand by what we said yesterday, despite us taking your money and telling you the price was fixed at the time of ordering ? o_O

This looks like it’s been sprung on the dealers, so I don’t blame them.

I think TV programs such as Watchdog and Rouge traders etc will be making a resurgence as this just leaves the consumer bent over a barrel not knowing where the roggering is going to come from And opens up all sorts of possibilities for underhand tactics To be employed.

imagine what happens in the height of the camping season when your order is delivered to a dealer, who can suddenly demand extra (unspecified sums) money from you or sell your van to the next highest bidder!
Dealers work on targets and margin !

suggest you put all communication in writing, (all) even historical events , to record this with the dealer, print out and keep all communication so you have a clear timeline from ordering to delivery And a record of all conversation.

I sincerely feel for anyone with an unfulfilled order and the extra stress this must be inducing.

It all depends on the supply chain lottery and if you had an allocated manufacturing slot “confirmed build date”

if your vehicle was allocated a confirmed build date this could (probably will) affect delivery date (delay) if no confirmed manufacturer date then it goes into the Master schedule lottery as to when it will be scheduled to be built. VW will prioritise build schedules to suit the availability of components and base vans.
It a highly complex planning process and one that is not transparent.
a fairer way would be to say old current order will be Honoured, future orders take a possible hit on variable price ( If that’s what VW want to do).
Clearly major manufacturers are having a hard time and are looking to the loyal customers to bail them out of the mess they are in Now and in future.

looks like the thin edge of the wedge = We as the manufacturer cant tell you at point of order when you will get your vehicle, we will tell you what we think is realistic at the time of order, but we really don’t have any idea and how much we tell you the vehicle is is not necessarily the same as you are going to pay when it eventually arrives!
and if our estimated delivery date is significantly longer, through no fault of yours, we as the manufacturer reserve the right to make you the customer pay for the issues we are / have experienced because our supply chain won’t let us beat them up like we have done historically!

IMO the poop is going to hit the fan with some major Names not just cars
Thanks @Perfectos for your response. My dealer said my build month was May, not sure if this is an allocated Manufacturing slot or not. After changing my spec I asked my dealer if it'll effect my build date, to which he said no it shouldn't do. This was before all of this though

I fear a May build slot is leaving it very tight for a handover before 1st July 2022, hope it happens for you @Dippa

That was yesterday! :headbang
the rules change today, so we longer stand by what we said yesterday, despite us taking your money and telling you the price was fixed at the time of ordering ? o_O

This looks like it’s been sprung on the dealers, so I don’t blame them.

I think TV programs such as Watchdog and Rouge traders etc will be making a resurgence as this just leaves the consumer bent over a barrel not knowing where the roggering is going to come from And opens up all sorts of possibilities for underhand tactics To be employed.

imagine what happens in the height of the camping season when your order is delivered to a dealer, who can suddenly demand extra (unspecified sums) money from you or sell your van to the next highest bidder!
Dealers work on targets and margin !

suggest you put all communication in writing, (all) even historical events , to record this with the dealer, print out and keep all communication so you have a clear timeline from ordering to delivery And a record of all conversation.

I sincerely feel for anyone with an unfulfilled order and the extra stress this must be inducing.
Yes I've emailed my dealer and will be getting everything logged going forward. I'm not prepared to pay more when I've agreed a price, which should be honoured. I'lll be cancelling my order if it's not here in time

I fear a May build slot is leaving it very tight for a handover before 1st July 2022, hope it happens for you @Dippa

I fear you may be right :(

I feel for everyone who has unfulfilled orders, the purchase of a California is a quite often a Heart over head moment which leads to a lot of emotional processes, to have this Sword of Damocles looming cannot be pleasant.

I appreciate that raw material prices are rising daily but VW should not give a deadline date for registration. As the lead times are so long and fluid, they should honour all current orders and state that all new orders will not be price guaranteed.

I’d get it confirmed from your dealer. My dealer told me earlier this year that I could change the options and colour until a build slot was confirmed, but not the drivetrain selection.

I’d get it confirmed from your dealer. My dealer told me earlier this year that I could change the options and colour until a build slot was confirmed, but not the drivetrain selection.
Strange how different dealers give different information. Mine said I could change anything because of the lead times. When did you order yours ?

This is a very difficult subject as sometimes the factory sees this as new order as it’s a change of drivetrain and not a spec amendment, have you confirmed with your dealer that they have made the change?

I appreciate that raw material prices are rising daily but VW should not give a deadline date for registration. As the lead times are so long and fluid, they should honour all current orders and state that all new orders will not be price guaranteed.
I agree wholeheartedly but:

The Stock market has teeth that Bite to the bone!
under performance will not be tolerated no matter what the circumstances, heads will roll, this is the thin edge of the wedge for all sectors Caveat Emptor

This is a very difficult subject as sometimes the factory sees this as new order as it’s a change of drivetrain and not a spec amendment, have you confirmed with your dealer that they have made the change?
Yes had it confirmed with my dealer that they have made the change last week. He confirmed VW are aware and that I should still have my build date in May, receiving my van in June.

I can see dealers being put under immense pressure, next year, to PDI vehicles at very very short notice to save the customer from and wholly unnecessary situation which is not of the making of either the Dealer or customer

I can see dealers being put under immense pressure, next year, to PDI vehicles at very very short notice to save the customer from and wholly unnecessary situation which is not of the making of either the Dealer or customer
100% agree this will be the case for some I believe.

Spoke with my dealer today who assured me that changing my spec hasn't delayed my van.

My build week is 21, so guessing it won't be delivered by June 30th ?

My dealer said my build week can change so guessing it's provisional and not confirmed ?

He also said that VW will be looking into every case individually to decide what to do regarding if people will get charged extra or not

Spoke with my dealer today who assured me that changing my spec hasn't delayed my van.

My build week is 21, so guessing it won't be delivered by June 30th ?

My dealer said my build week can change so guessing it's provisional and not confirmed ?

He also said that VW will be looking into every case individually to decide what to do regarding if people will get charged extra or not
Sounds like a very reasonable attitude in the circumstances. i hope it goes well for you.

Back