Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charging phones whilst travelling...what are people using ?

BigPritch

BigPritch

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi there - T5 SE 2007.

Been having issues with the 12v Cig lighter that have had to remove the fuse altogether.

Use my phone for Navigation so need to have it on charge whilst travelling.
Rather than run a long cord from the 12v beside the rear bench sliding door, is there anything people use ?

We bought an adapter for the 'old style' 12v (one in the kitchen unit), but very slow/low voltage.

Appreciate some ideas from you guys.

Thanks

Hi there - T5 SE 2007.

Been having issues with the 12v Cig lighter that have had to remove the fuse altogether.

Rather than run a long cord from the 12v beside the rear bench sliding door, is there anything people use ?

We bought an adapter for the 'old style' 12v (one in the kitchen unit), but very slow/low voltage.

Thanks
We have t5 2006 and used the cable from the cig lighter and spliced it up in two. One for a telephone holder on the driver side and one for 2 usb sockets on the passengers side. Also to prevent battery drain via the usb sockets they can be switched off with a tumble switch.
The load speed is not that great, but is does the trick.

20240829_125327.jpg

20240829_125312.jpg

20240829_125304.jpg

Hi there - T5 SE 2007.

Thanks
Why not fix the 12v socket or replace with a USB socket?

Why not fix the 12v socket or replace with a USB socket?
Its about 6th on a list of 'things to sort' tbh, was just wondering if there was a solution I hadn't considered.
The USB's have been pushed back, so can't be used (can't work out how to get to them to try & fix).
Cheers

We have t5 2006 and used the cable from the cig lighter and spliced it up in two. One for a telephone holder on the driver side and one for 2 usb sockets on the passengers side. Also to prevent battery drain via the usb sockets they can be switched off with a tumble switch.
The load speed is not that great, but is does the trick.

View attachment 128435

View attachment 128436

View attachment 128437
Thanks for that but mine looks nothing like that I'm afraid...

The USB's have been pushed back that you can't reach, the only 12v is in the cigarette tray.

Cali Dash.jpg

Hi BigPritch, thats is a completely different dash. Whats wrong with the double usb on the passengers side?

Hi BigPritch, thats is a completely different dash. Whats wrong with the double usb on the passengers side?
They've both been pushed right back into the dash, so can't be used. Been told its a 'take the whole of the dash off to get to them/fix them' ie, not cheap.

It looks like a standard usb socket to me, should come out with a little help. All the other square push buttons in the dash are easy to take out.
Have you tried removing the vent above, this could give you room to push the usb socket out from behind. You need a trim removal set to remove the vent or the usb socket

Nice vid. I think the quick option is to remove the glovebox. Just 4 or 5 torx screws inside the box and it is loose. Disconnect the lightswitch and flip the box over on top of the dash. Might just give you enough room to push the usb socket from behind
On a T6, there is a plastic bulkhead between glovebox and vents/ electrical switches, caused me a minor problem running hdmi from media system to glovebox, with the trim tools unclipping is straight forward

I would try to prise out the existing usb and check if it’s functional and wired up both ends -

It’s probably wired with a piggyback fuse to the ignition fuse (fuse 19 if I recall) - check the number of your ignition live.

If it is piggybacked, as is usually done, then it would be worth checking the piggyback fuse is OK if your existing socket is non functional electrically

If the existing USB cannot be removed with a plastic trim tool down its edge I would try the glovebox removal approach to see if you can get at it from behind as it is just a few screws and then a lift forward and up

With a bit of a fiddle it’s not hard to wire up a dash USB socket to the ignition live fuse - you may need to make a small hole to access the fuse box. I found poking a long cable tie through a good approach to threading the wiring

See this video for help
I would suggest you use the big earth bolt which is revealed when you have the glovebox out for an easy negative

If USB simply fallen back in the dash then removing the adjacent blank will give to a possible means to reseat the usb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would try to prise out the existing usb and check if it’s functional and wired up both ends -

It’s probably wired with a piggyback fuse to the ignition fuse (fuse 19 if I recall) - check the number of your ignition live.

If it is piggybacked, as is usually done, then it would be worth checking the piggyback fuse is OK if your existing socket is non functional electrically

If the existing USB cannot be removed with a plastic trim tool down its edge I would try the glovebox removal approach to see if you can get at it from behind as it is just a few screws and then a lift forward and up

With a bit of a fiddle it’s not hard to wire up a dash USB socket to the ignition live fuse - you may need to make a small hole to access the fuse box. I found poking a long cable tie through a good approach to threading the wiring

See this video for help
I would suggest you use the big earth bolt which is revealed when you have the glovebox out for an easy negative

Absolutely brilliant vid/answer thank you.
Do you know if the red lights stay on, when the ignition is off @Phase one ?
Thanks

Last edited:
To all that have responded - THANK YOU !!
@WelshGas , @Phase one , @Tycho
I will give the answers a go, maybe have to buy another USB socket, which should be just a 'plug & play'.

VERY VERY much appreciated.
Learning all the time....

When wired into ignition fuse the light is off when ignition switched off

There are a variety of designs online for the usb itself with red or blue light and the precise design of the usb also varies - some flat, some indented, some with 3 dots some without.

When wired into ignition fuse the light is off when ignition switched off

There are a variety of designs online for the usb itself with red or blue light and the precise design of the usb also varies - some flat, some indented, some with 3 dots some without.

Hmm, thats interesting, as mine are always on (red), even when ignition off/keys out.
I know the fuse that they are into, is same as cig lighter.
Thank you.

Correct - Cig lighter is still powered when ignition off on my T5.1
I have my usb piggyback fused to fuse 19 so light and usb socket off with ignition off

PS if accessing the big metal cross member point behind glovebox for the earth/ neg you will need a 6mm bolt and nut as it has a very convenient 6mm hole

Back