Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cheerio and thanks for all the fish .....

California_Ocean

California_Ocean

Vehicle
Cali now sold
So I sold my California Ocean after two and a half years of ownership, and I was really sad to see it go. The new owners are however very happy with their purchase. I'm not buying another camper, I'm moving back to boats and have found a nice sailing boat in the Med to waste my time and money on. The solar energy project and new instrumentation is keeping me off the streets.

:thanks

Thanks to all for the warm welcome when I joined, and to the members who answered questions and provided a mine of useful information. It's been a very civilised forum in comparison with some others I have been on (not VW Cali forums).

I'm going to go dark now as I don't have a camper any more ... the sea awaits .... if anyone is interested I can post some pictures of the water equivalent of Cali Camping.
Cheers :cheers

So I sold my California Ocean after two and a half years of ownership, and I was really sad to see it go. The new owners are however very happy with their purchase. I'm not buying another camper, I'm moving back to boats and have found a nice sailing boat in the Med to waste my time and money on. The solar energy project and new instrumentation is keeping me off the streets.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome when I joined, and to the members who answered questions and provided a mine of useful information. It's been a very civilised forum in comparison with some others I have been on (not VW Cali forums).

I'm going to go dark now as I don't have a camper any more ... the sea awaits .... if anyone is interested I can post some pictures of the water equivalent of Cali Camping.
Would be great to see what you have moved too on the ocean.

Cool enjoy

What’s she called ?

Nice quarters.
Where’s the wheel house? And Wheel !

What’s she called ?

Nice quarters.
Where’s the wheel house? And Wheel !
She's going to be called "McKelvie" ..... might sound like a wierd name but there is a story behind it. I grew up on the west coast of Scotland and every year we went sailing for our summer holidays in this .....

1718391918167.png

... we would visit an anchorage on the Island of Luing called Ardinamir. There was a formidable old lady who lived in the anchorage and she had a visitors book which we signed and drew in every year. She had an awesome cat called McKelvie .... here is her story, written up in the Clyde Cruising Clubs Sailing Directions ...

1718392119779.png

1718392428862.png

Last edited:
Enjoy! Luing is a wonderful place - one of the first places we ‘wild camped’ after buying our first Cali in 2019. In fact, my profile pic was taken on Luing on that trip :)

My wife just asked me what I was reading, I showed her the pictures of your boat, she immediately said 'I assume he can sail'.
I assume you can too, it looks stunning, good luck on your travels.
Yes ... I can thankfully :thumb... I'd be mad to buy something like this without experience .. and thankyou for the good wishes.

I wish you fair winds and following seas.

She's going to be called "McKelvie" ..... might sound like a wierd name but there it has a story behind it. I grew up on the west coast of Scotland and every year we went sailing for our summer holidays in this .....

View attachment 124768

... and we would visit an anchorage on the Island of Luing called Ardinamir. There was a formidable old lady who lived in the anchorage and she had a visitors book which we signed and drew in every year. She had an awesome cat called McKelvie .... here is her story, written up in the Clyde Cruising Clubs Sailing Directions ...

View attachment 124769

View attachment 124770
That’s an awesome story. Thanks for sharing !

Yes ... I can thankfully :thumb... I'd be mad to buy something like this without experience .. and thankyou for the good wishes.
Nice boat. Keeping her in the Med? Brought mine back last year after 6 years in Spain/ Portugal because of the problems caused by the B word. After a season in the UK though those problems are looking less daunting.

Nice boat. Keeping her in the Med? Brought mine back last year after 6 years in Spain/ Portugal because of the problems caused by the B word. After a season in the UK though those problems are looking less daunting.
Yes, she will be in the Northern Adriatic ... so all the Croatian Islands. The B word caused me problems selling my last boat as it was UK Flagged but VAT paid ... they insisted the new owner would have to pay VAT again because it was a UK boat and needed importing. This was not true and I sorted it out after a bit of grief with the Croatian and Slovenian Port Authorities ... got the same issue again with buying. It will be going on the UK ships register and they said I'd have to export it and re-import it, paying VAT again .... took me 3 weeks to get them to retract that. I got myself German citizenship when Brexit became unavoidable to bypass all these issues, but it still causes confusion and mayhem. :(

Any plans to go back to the Med? Still doable, and possibly the only B-Word benefit is that you could, as a U.K. resident buy and keep a boat in the Med without paying VAT on it - it could be kept under Temporary Admission as the Owner is not EU resident. I used to do this before Croatia joined the EU. You still have to abide by Schengen rules if you don't have a second EU passport or an EU spose, but that's a 25% saving or thereabouts on a boat in the Med. :thumb

Last edited: