Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New to all this!!

L

Laura Easson

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
hi folks!
So after years of wanting a camper we’ve finally made the decision to go for it!! We’ve got a California ocean on order and are expecting it next month. Yey!!
We’ve got a 9 month old baby so if anyone has any top tips on using the van with a little one I would love to hear them!
Cheers, Laura

Hello and welcome!

hi folks!
So after years of wanting a camper we’ve finally made the decision to go for it!! We’ve got a California ocean on order and are expecting it next month. Yey!!
We’ve got a 9 month old baby so if anyone has any top tips on using the van with a little one I would love to hear them!
Cheers, Laura

:welcome You'll have such a good time with the baby. Our daughter started at 18months-ish and she sees it as her second home. Definitely do some local stays to see how it works for you but usual advice is keep it simple and don't buy lots of accessories until you see what you need.

Things that have worked for us:

1) We use a Sleepyhead Grand at home and have done with our 3yr old since she moved into a cot, and now a bed. This transfers perfectly into the California so she has familiarity and sleeps a treat. So I'd definitely recommend some kind of familiar bedding to what baby is used to, to ease transition.

2) The parcel shelf makes a perfect baby bed if parents are happy to sleep in roof bed. It's nice and enclosed, safe and warm. Also means you can put baby/child to bed early and keep using the living space in the evening.

3) Packing cubes are perfect for storing/retrieving things from the wardrobe. Different colour and size options means all those changes of clothes/practical bits and bobs that you need access to at a moments notice can be retrieved without stress.

4) My OH is not a typical camper and had to be sold on the Cali lifestyle. Caravan and Motorhome Club sites have made that MUCH easier. Spotless facilities, Baby and Todder washrooms, play parks and peace and quiet overnight that doesn't wake anyone. The only problem now is that she doesn't like it when i book non-club sites!

Most of all, just cherish it. Travel massively enriches our family life and our daughter just adores being outdoors and away from home - as evidenced this weekend when she came down with Scarlet Fever and was less upset about the illness than she was about the cancelled holiday! :D

Welcome , look in the kids section of the forum for tips.

Welcome Laura
We‘re quite on the same road, our son (3weeks) camped a week ago for the first time in our Cali. He loved it

welcome to the forum best of luck for the future camping

Welcome. We have a 22 month old and are still kind of Learning the ropes. Too much to write down here for tips but hope to see you at a show or meet for a chin wag :thumb