Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cherry Red vs Ascot Grey

Ascot Grey or Cherry Red

• Cherry Red

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Ascot Grey

Votes: 36 67.9%

• Total voters
Morning all - having read a cliffhanger thread on the choice of Ascot Grey vs Cherry Red when the wrong colour was delivered, I thought it would be fun to have a poll on the last remaining free colour options.

Personally, I think they are the best two colours. But maybe I’m a cheap skate.

Red is described as marmite. Yet in the above post it was overwhelmingly the choice of the people.

I reflected on this - are Cherry Red people, like the colour, more assertive and outspoken?

Are Ascot Grey folks more unassuming in their views like the ‘shy Tory’ who eschews revealing their leaning in the polls?

I’ve made the poll anonymous to negate any ‘shy Tories’ (politics aside, for metaphorical purposes only!).

Let the vote decide.

NB - I think both look fabulous with black ‘swamper’ detail.
I wonder: the cliffhanger thread you read, is that mine?

It is indeed. I read from start to finish one night this week.
1700938099879.jpeg
So you already know the outcome :D it turned out to be this one (the one on the left ;)). I love it and didn’t see a single ascot grey one when travelling to Spain this summer, touring around in Northern Spain and back home to Bruges. There are three ascot grey California’s in the area where I live but then again there are many here who have a cali. I live near a campsite (Memling) and see often foreign cali’s but few in ascot grey (I can’t even remember if I actually saw one). A lot of white or beige ones. To be clear: I have nothing against those colours: our previous T4 Westfalia was white and mojave beige is a colour that I learned to appreciate. So I guessed ascot grey wasn’t a colour many are fond of. Everyone has their own choice and idea about it, of course; For me ascot grey gives it a nostalgic look and I wanted this.

Last edited:
View attachment 116721
So you already know the outcome :D it turned out to be this one (the one on the left ;)). I love it and didn’t see a single ascot grey one when travelling to Spain this summer, touring around in Northern Spain and back home to Bruges. There are three ascot grey California’s in the area where I live but then again there are many here who have a cali. I live near a campsite (Memling) and see often foreign cali’s but few in ascot grey (I can’t even remember if I actually saw one). A lot of white or beige ones. To be clear: I have nothing against those colours: our previous T4 Westfalia was white and mojave beige is a colour that I learned to appreciate. So I guessed ascot grey wasn’t a colour many are fond of. Everyone has their own choice and idea about it, of course; For me ascot grey gives it a nostalgic look and I wanted this.
Thanks for the photo. That T25 period colour is great.

I agree re AG looking nostalgic. It’s Porsche Crayon, (or thereabouts), very period. Very different to the palette of metallic greys on the roads today.

I think we have a clear winner. Mission Accomplished.

At the end of the day. The only colour that matters is the one YOU like yourself. I haven't seen any real stinkers on Californias. Nothing that would effect resale.

Pity they do not do this colour. A four tone Cali option.

capture.jpg

I went with the AG order. Changed from CR > CW > AG.

I imagine this happens a lot with Californias. Never deliberated over a car colour so much, nor changed original order.

I get buyer’s remorse on occasion when I see a red van. Especially with black modular steel wheels.

Then I spotted an AG Transporter conversion locally. Looks surprisingly good in grey winter skies and carries dirt well.

Now busily hoarding kit in the garage like Armageddon is coming. That or a California in March.

I like red but not the Cherry Red had bad experiences with none metallic reds on vehicles in the past - hence why I went for Fontana red - it just happened to come up on a search for a used low mileage cali - but colour is a personal thing some may really hate Fontana red but to me its the best colour - there is no right or wrong we can have an opinion but we shouldn't diss anyones choice

I went with the AG order. Changed from CR > CW > AG.

I imagine this happens a lot with Californias. Never deliberated over a car colour so much, nor changed original order.

I get buyer’s remorse on occasion when I see a red van. Especially with black modular steel wheels.

Then I spotted an AG Transporter conversion locally. Looks surprisingly good in grey winter skies and carries dirt well.

Now busily hoarding kit in the garage like Armageddon is coming. That or a California in March.
I too am waiting for an AG Ocean that is in build week 3 of 2024 and should arrive here around March. I’d love a two tone and have seen Ascot Grey with white upper, looks super smart, or I’d like an olive green lower half, very retro. But I’m put off planning to do that by concerns about insurance so am thinking it might be something to do later.

I too am waiting for an AG Ocean that is in build week 3 of 2024 and should arrive here around March. I’d love a two tone and have seen Ascot Grey with white upper, looks super smart, or I’d like an olive green lower half, very retro. But I’m put off planning to do that by concerns about insurance so am thinking it might be something to do later.
We are on the same path. AG build week 3.

Which dealer?

Breeze, Poole. Just saw in fact that mine is now week 4.