Child seat

Californication69

Californication69

Bill
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Opinions on best child seat (just the one grandson, at the moment)
I’m guessing the bench seat isn’t IsoFix ?
He’s 20 months going on 3 :D
I’m thinking maybe have this then keep it for the next small one.
Then buy a new one in 2 years for a 4 year old and up?

I think the Ocean bench is Isofix.

The Beach bench has two isofix points. None on the middle seat.

If you can bear the cost Maxi Cosi Pearl is good.

We use Rodifix for our boys and they do all the was from age 4 to 12 years.

All passenger seats in the rear are Isofix across all vehicles.

An extra tip:

If the isofix-hooks in the bench seat of the T6.1 are similair to the ones in the T5.1, you might want to know the following: Seats with 'rods' (photo 1) are incredibly hard to get through the opening between the seat and the backrest. Seats with straps & hooks (photo 2) are much much easier to place and remove. While not a huge problem when it's just for the occasional drive, it is really a pain when camping. But perhaps VW made the isofix-connections in the bench more accesable in the T6.1 model.

isofix-autostoel.jpg

original.jpeg

An extra tip:

If the isofix-hooks in the bench seat of the T6.1 are similair to the ones in the T5.1, you might want to know the following: Seats with 'rods' (photo 1) are incredibly hard to get through the opening between the seat and the backrest. Seats with straps & hooks (photo 2) are much much easier to place and remove. While not a huge problem when it's just for the occasional drive, it is really a pain when camping. But perhaps VW made the isofix-connections in the bench more accesable in the T6.1 model.

isofix-autostoel.jpg

original.jpeg
It’s easier fitting the “ rods “ if you pull the seat forward 6 inches and then pull the strap to recline the seat back slightly. Once fitted in place pull the strap to return the seat back to the upright position and slide the seat backwards.

Pretty obvious but a seat with a leg is a right pain wrt the drawer. Get one with a tether.

Last edited:
Never had any issues placing a child’s seat on the bench seat in our t6.1 coast. The top tether is an extra on the iso fix. We have two children -age 4 & 7- and use the cali as a daily driver (and of course for our travels). When travelling we place the chair and seat for them several times and no problem at all. We do not use the top theter because iso fix is more convenient for us. Everyone has their own idea about this.
We used to use a child’s chair with one leg and although it is foldable, when traveling this was a cumbersome thing to move and took up a lot of space (this was in our t4 westfalia and we did not have iso fix mounting points there. Later we used an iso fix element that is detachable but firmly attached when put in place and then we took a child’s chair with us without that extra leg).

Never had any issues placing a child’s seat on the bench seat in our t6.1 coast. The top tether is an extra on the iso fix. We have two children -age 4 & 7- and use the cali as a daily driver (and of course for our travels). When travelling we place the chair and seat for them several times and no problem at all. We do not use the top theter because iso fix is more convenient for us. Everyone has their own idea about this.
We used to use a child’s chair with one leg and although it is foldable, when traveling this was a cumbersome thing to move and took up a lot of space (this was in our t4 westfalia and we did not have iso fix mounting points there. Later we used an iso fix element that is detachable but firmly attached when put in place and then we took a child’s chair with us without that extra leg).
Thank you, Danke!
Could you let me know the make and model of said seats please.
Cheers

The top tether or leg are non- optional features in forward facing seats that prevent the seat rotating around the ISO fix attachment points in a frontal collision.

Edit: better article https://csftl.org/why-tethering-is-... United States it's,than a rear facing tether.

Last edited:
Thank you, Danke!
Could you let me know the make and model of said seats please.
Cheers
We use several child chairs and seats: a set in my wife's car and a set in the California. We previously had the base of maxi cosi and this had a leg and you could click in a maxi cosi carrier (for babies). Later we bought other child seats when they got bigger: amongst Britax (with extra leg) and also one of which you can detach the backrest so that when they are bigger you only have a booster seat but with iso fix.

We just switched from a Maxi Cosi Family Fix base seat to a Maxi Cosi Titan +.
Big plus for us: no leg and we can use the seat in cars/motorhomes with no ISOFIX.
5d0b720976e578f7e0f956354c2309d0.jpg

Last edited: