Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Chip impact on deliveries

I'd suspect that is likely to be the case, especially if it's vans with the driver assistance packages that are being delayed (or maybe it is the Engine module for the high power variants)

I'd suspect that is likely to be the case, especially if it's vans with the driver assistance packages that are being delayed (or maybe it is the Engine module for the high power variants)
Could be anything, nowadays, engine, BCM, Infotainment, digital dash, Camper Control Panel, Webasto or Eberspacher heaters and all the Driver Assist aids. The list goes on and on.

There is a shortage of truck ABS valves due to manufacturer shutting down in lockdown 1. They are not able to manufacture part quick enough to build up any stocks. Price of available valves has increased.
This sort of scenario may also effect new vehicle builds as well.

I thought it was the delivery drivers not being able to get fish & chips.

I was thinking wood chip (biomass)

Comment from VW executive in the news:

He said one likely shift in the near future is that automakers will try to reduce the number of chips needed in each part of the cars and trucks.

“Historically, we’ve made decision as if chips were nearly infinite, so each and every module required a chip, every window lift, every modulator,” he said. “There’s ways that we start to look at it when we develop the cars, can we do more modules with less chips? It can be done. These are all things we are looking at.”

Comment from VW executive in the news:

He said one likely shift in the near future is that automakers will try to reduce the number of chips needed in each part of the cars and trucks.

“Historically, we’ve made decision as if chips were nearly infinite, so each and every module required a chip, every window lift, every modulator,” he said. “There’s ways that we start to look at it when we develop the cars, can we do more modules with less chips? It can be done. These are all things we are looking at.”
Which is as far as I know, what Tesla has been doing all along..

Which is as far as I know, what Tesla has been doing all along..
I saw an industrial article saying most manufacturers relied on many modules using fairly old technology and tesla used a more centralised approach.
we are now finding issues just sourcing bog std components now and developments are on hold. We managed to just upgrade the existing system for now and buy stock.
I understand the reluctance to develop new modules on a regular basis and theres much work and cost goes into testing, developing repeatable manufacturing process and proving reliability
Sounds like it will generally get worse before it gets better in late 2022 I read.

Back