Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Claiming under warranty

B

Brianandjoy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
we have recently bought a 2 year old California and think the additional batteries might be faulty. The VW dealer we bought it from is 200 miles away. How do we go about making a claim under the warranty for new leisure batteries?

You can go to any VW garage. It doesn´t have to be the one you
bought it from.

Are you sure batteries are coverd on a 2nd hand ?
Reading your other topic on the problem with your batts. did you check the system itself , fuses...
There has been reports where only one of the two batts was disconected due a broken fuse .

Are you sure batteries are coverd on a 2nd hand ?
Reading your other topic on the problem with your batts. did you check the system itself , fuses...
There has been reports where only one of the two batts was disconected due a broken fuse .
Still on original VW Warranty which is 3 years in the UK.

4 years and 9 months from new and with a 5 year factory warranty, an indicator has stopped working (blown bulb?). What are my chances of making a successful warranty claim?

4 years and 9 months from new and with a 5 year factory warranty, an indicator has stopped working (blown bulb?). What are my chances of making a successful warranty claim?
Would it not be easier to just change the bulb? Depending on how far away your VW dealer is you may well spend more on fuel to drive to the dealer, maybe more than once, than the cost of a new bulb. Bulbs are very cheap.

We made a claim on our leisure batteries which was on the last day of the VW 3 year warranty. We were even told that if it had been a day later we wouldn’t have been able to claim.

Would it not be easier to just change the bulb? Depending on how far away your VW dealer is you may well spend more on fuel to drive to the dealer, maybe more than once, than the cost of a new bulb. Bulbs are very cheap.

It depends how accessible the rear offside light cluster is. I’ll have a look in the morning.

If it’s a blown bulb then VW will charge you a Diagnostic Fee + £1 for the bulb.

It depends how accessible the rear offside light cluster is. I’ll have a look in the morning.
Its just two screws holding the light unit in place, accessible once the boot is open. So a 2 minute job unless you've got LED back lights, then its a warranty job for a whole new light unit.

Its the sort of thing that Halfords charge £8 to fit + probably £2 for the bulb.

Have you checked the Handbook. On my T5.1 the Handbook has full details on how to replace the bulb on Page 440.

Have you checked the Handbook. On my T5.1 the Handbook has full details on how to replace the bulb on Page 440.
I opened the boot this morning, undid the two screws and removed the light cluster. I popped out the bulb - it didn't look blown but was damp. I wiped it dry, re-seated it and Hey Presto! it worked. <5 mins.

So damp in the light cluster is the issue. I can see the condensation on the inside of the lens. I'm guessing this dates back to a small chip in the top of the lens from March 2017 when I fitted the bike rack, bought from Banwy, heavily discounted in a Black Friday sale November 2016.

Unless the failure repeats more frequently than every few years, I won't spend silly money replacing the lens.

I opened the boot this morning, undid the two screws and removed the light cluster. I popped out the bulb - it didn't look blown but was damp. I wiped it dry, re-seated it and Hey Presto! it worked. <5 mins.

So damp in the light cluster is the issue. I can see the condensation on the inside of the lens. I'm guessing this dates back to a small chip in the top of the lens from March 2017 when I fitted the bike rack, bought from Banwy, heavily discounted in a Black Friday sale November 2016.

Unless the failure repeats more frequently than every few years, I won't spend silly money replacing the lens.
When I had a chip I put a dab of polystyrene glue (model glue) on the inside. This sealed the chip and no more water came in. Can't see the chip or glue from the outside. This does depend on the type and size of chip.

Back