Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Classic Cali Starter Battery Mains Charger Mod.

pirat

pirat

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
John said:
I have to take the starter battery out to store and charge in my garage. I don't know of a easier solution as I don't like to charge the battery when connected as I worry that the external charger may cause damage to the Cali's electrics.
The "Ctek" might be the solution for your problem John. Many members of the board where I usually hang around are using it without any problem, some of them even have it fixed permanently.

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000RHWCNY/?tag=eliteelect-21

Pirat

Thanks for that Pirat

It looks a interesting product. I have a similar charger which can charge all sorts of battery types and sizes but unfortunately it needs a 12v input to power it.

The CTEK looks like it is mains 240v powered and small enough to be mounted in the Cali. I would be interested to know how the members of your forum installed it. It would be good if it was installed to make use of the mains 240v system in the Cali so that the starter battery is then charged when the mains hook up lead is connected. :thumb

This would be good for winter battery top up's and good on site when camping. No flat battery when the roof is lowered and your Cali engine is started. :clap :D

John

John said:
I would be interested to know how the members of your board installed it.
That's how they did it John:
Ctek sits under the sink atop the waste tank.
240V side is connected to the original charger for the camping batteries which is situated underneath the fridge. (inside hatch in left side kitchen unit)
12V live side is connected to the Cut-off relay, starter batterie pin. (bottom right pin)

http://www.caliboard.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=7584
photo: cbleek

Pirat

StarterBatteryChargermod.jpg

The mains charger unit M11 charges all batteries on a Facelift Cali's and Classic Cali's that were produced after 2007.

However, It only charges the leasure batteries on a older Classic Cali's pre 2008 so the starter battery will need to be toped up by a external mains charger.

See this Subject for more info.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48

Thanks to pirot who has informed me of a mod, that had been used by members of vwcamper.de, to install a additional mains charger to charge the starter battery when connected to a mains hookup.

I have moved the post here to start a new topic.

Thanks pirot

John

Pirat

Do you have any more details of this modification ?

I can see that the mains connection to the CTEK charger should be protected as it is connected to the same 240v circuit as the original on-board charger for the leisure batteries.

However, is there something that stops the starter battery from discharging back through the CTEK charger when the starter battery is not being charged. Is there a diode and fuse installed in this 12v connection.

Finally how was the 12v wire routed through the Cali from the CTEK when its located in the Kitchen unit to the starter cut off relay that looks like it is in the engine bay.

John

Hi John,

Reverse currant is 1,3 mA, because Ctek constantly monitors the battery voltage. Even when not hooked up. Real low, so you can forget about it.

The cut-off relay is located under the drivers seat (german version) but I suppose it's on the left side also in the UK-version. Anyway, its in front of the battery, left or right, whatever. So the Ctek is nearby and cable routing should be simple.

Speaking of cables:
If you don't want to cut any original 240 V cables to connect the Ctek to the relay, get a Y-adapter for an easy plug and play installation.

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001USNCFQ/

http://www.caliboard.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=4038

You cut one of the females off and replace it by a so called "Schuko-coupling", now the Ctek has a 240 V supply point.

Pirat

That's great Pirat makes it a lot easier to do. :thumb

The adaptor you show looks like a standard desktop computer mains connector which I already have. :thumb

I need to modify my earth shunt so will do both jobs together with the fridge removed. :D

Many thanks John