Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hooking up charger to starter battery - where?

• Thread starter ChrisandPenney52
  • Start date
ChrisandPenney52

ChrisandPenney52

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi, I've killed two starter batteries because I've had to be away for long periods of time leaving an undriven Cali, so I've now bought a CTEK MSX 5 charger. Seems nice and safe with lots of phases to manage the charging process. I want to leave the charger attached to trickle charge when I'm next away.

Advice in the handbook is to attach the live charger clamp to the battery and install the towing eye to attach the the charger neutral to earth. Seems a bit specific, and my cables are way too short

How do others actually do it? I've attached a picture of the neutral attached to an L-shaped bracket near side forward of the battery. Thoughts about this or any other mounting as a suitable earth?

I've thought about using the mains hook-up and trusting that my 2008 2.5 SE model actually does charge the starter battery, but my tests show no evidence of this and at best in this era the technology was flaky so that's not in my plan.

Sorry to start yet another topic on charging but I've searched and can't see a specific answer to this question

Chris

Charger attach.jpeg

Live to the battery red terminal and the negative charger lead to a bit of bare metal like a stud or similar, but as you have a 2008 you have no battery monitor so could go straight onto the battery terminals in both cases.

Mine is able to go on both terminals as it´s a 2006 2.5 probably same as yours.
But as loz said. Bare metal is what you want.
Even if it´s a bit rusty you still might get a contact if you scratch it around.

Mine is able to go on both terminals as it´s a 2006 2.5 probably same as yours.
But as loz said. Bare metal is what you want.
Even if it´s a bit rusty you still might get a contact if you scratch it around.

Thanks Loz and Westfalia. What's the impact of the battery regulator and when did Calis start to have them? A bit of vehicle tech that's passed me by :-/)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmmm I have just put my CTEC on the battery posts, no other earth point, so far so good but I must go check

if you do not use the van for some time, disconnect the negative battery, that is 'the black cable that goes to the chassis, then attack the ctrek and he charges the battery without any leakage ... believe me you do so' hello

Back