Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning awning

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all just got back from a smashing holiday in the french pyrenees and today is cleaning the van out day!
The only problem is that I've got quite a few fingerprints on my black factory awning and also the hook up cable flap.
I've always had trouble cleaning them off in the past, I've tried soapy water, white spirit and even t cut once when I was really desperate :eek:
Can anyone suggest a way of cleaning these please?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I use WD-40, works for me.I Apply small amount on cotton rag wipe on and wipe off taking care not to catch the paintwork although I have never had a problem.(read instructions)
Also works for taking out polish and wax residue on plastic trim and rubber window seals.. :thumb

Alan said:
I use WD-40, works for me.I Apply small amount on cotton rag wipe on and wipe off taking care not to catch the paintwork although I have never had a problem.(read instructions)
Also works for taking out polish and wax residue on plastic trim and rubber window seals.. :thumb

Excellent cheers for the tip!
Just finished cleaning it now so will nip out and have a go.

Didn't have any wd40 so used 3 in 1 silicone spray. Unfortunately my finger prints are still there!
Is wd40 better or do I need to try something else?

Hi freely

WD-40 is silicon free and is claimed to clean tar, grease etc.
Always handy to have around.
Not sure if it'll get rid of silicon though! :doh

Back to black. Available at all good stockists (and Halfrauds)

Alan said:
Hi freely

WD-40 is silicon free and is claimed to clean tar, grease etc.
Always handy to have around.
Not sure if it'll get rid of silicon though! :doh

Whoops!

Californiaman said:
Back to black. Available at all good stockists (and Halfrauds)

Got some of that will give it a go. Wonder if it removes silicon lol.

You still in france?

Just back today. We were blessed with amazing weather - until it turned a little blustery overnight near Boulogne and then chucked it down all the way home from the chunnel!

Excellent. Hope you didn't think we were avoiding you but when the missus says it's time to move on there's no point arguing!
We had 3 days of lovely warm sunshine in argeles and 1 in la rochelle (although the site and local area of aytre was a dump!) and even a sunny but much colder afternoon in lannion prior to catching the ferry back from roscoff.
Like you though it poured with rain on the way back to the ferry so overall thought we did quite well with the weather.

No worries. Maybe next time. I think we'll ferry down rather than drive next time. I would like to drive the route des cols again one day (I did it a number of years ago in a rather more sporty Subaru!) or maybe visit the Picos de Europa instead.

Did you venture anywhere near the col de Tourmalet? I couldn't believe the devastation from the floods in June. Quite amazing the resilience of the locals.

Californiaman said:
No worries. Maybe next time. I think we'll ferry down rather than drive next time. I would like to drive the route des cols again one day (I did it a number of years ago in a rather more sporty Subaru!) or maybe visit the Picos de Europa instead.

Did you venture anywhere near the col de Tourmalet? I couldn't believe the devastation from the floods in June. Quite amazing the resilience of the locals.

No didn't go there but now I look on the map we got quite close - after leaving estaing we drove to a site at sazos near luz st. saveur but didn't fancy it so came back to argeles.
We were warned at the site there that the cauterets road was closed at certain times of the day because of the flooding so they must've caught it too.

We were warned at the site there that the cauterets road was closed at certain times of the day because of the flooding so they must've caught it too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

Yes Cauterets did catch it too. We have a house there and were there in August/Sept. The road (only way into the town) was washed away with the flood in June and the town was cut off for about a week. Food running out, banks running out of money, a few houses washed away. Fortunately no one was badly hurt but the road is now closed until the end of November during normal working hours while they build a new one.
It wasn't as bad as Bareges though on the way up to Tourmalet where the the damage is horrendous as you say. Many homes and businesses completely wrecked.
I'm amazed that it wasn't covered in the British media, only the fact that Lourdes was flooded seemed to be mentioned.
The weather in the Pyrenees is becoming very unpredictable, bad floods late last year and most snow for thirty years. The main ski lift in Cauterets was taken out by an avalanche so the town has suffered in the last twelve months. Fabulous place though.

I hope your place survived ok! It is one of my favourite places in the world but as you say, unpredictable - the mountains give... And take away!

We also camped in France this year, and boy did those pigeons like us !!!! ....we had their droppings all over the roof of the Cali, and on our Awning...took a lot of washing !!! ...but we weren't sure if there were any recommendations on how best to clean the actual canvas of the awning.....any tips?
Ditto, the paintwork on the roof....ours is reflex silver.
We've also had to roll up our awning in wet and windy weather and have spotted some "mouldy/ mildewey" type of stains....any guidance on cleaning this off?
Don't want to use cleaning products which might cause damage so all/ any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks.

Back