Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning fresh water tank on T5 cali

B

brompton2

VIP Member
Hi there. On top of the fresh water tank there is a large opening for use when cleaning the tank. This should open when turned anti-clockwise (electrical sensor disconnected). I can't shift it. Is there a special tool or should it be just brute strength t0 turn this lid?

Hi there. On top of the fresh water tank there is a large opening for use when cleaning the tank. This should open when turned anti-clockwise (electrical sensor disconnected). I can't shift it. Is there a special tool or should it be just brute strength t0 turn this lid?
Brute strength, or use this tool or make something like it with a piece of wood and 2 bolts.

I’ve had a further go at unscrewing the lid of the fresh water tank. Tried using long-handled wrench + hammer handle as a lever with filler cap open to release any vacuum effect but can’t shift it. I don’t get how to work the water tank opening tool having found that as the lid is recessed 60mm below a circular opening in a steel bulkhead this prevents the application of effective leverage to the lid through the small opening.

My reason for wanting to open it is that the water sensor is malfunctioning. It was showing 2 bars full despite the tank having been drained and is now flashing indicating a fault. The pump is functioning normally.
I’ll be grateful for any further advice.

2B23B6AB-CE30-4624-BFCB-A4111B9947E7.jpeg

I’ve had a further go at unscrewing the lid of the fresh water tank. Tried using long-handled wrench + hammer handle as a lever with filler cap open to release any vacuum effect but can’t shift it. I don’t get how to work the water tank opening tool having found that as the lid is recessed 60mm below a circular opening in a steel bulkhead this prevents the application of effective leverage to the lid through the small opening.

My reason for wanting to open it is that the water sensor is malfunctioning. It was showing 2 bars full despite the tank having been drained and is now flashing indicating a fault. The pump is functioning normally.
I’ll be grateful for any further advice.

View attachment 105422

I think this tool is designed to be used from the direction of the gas bottle compartment but I still can’t turn it.

I had trouble with the tool - a set of open pliers with the handles against the ridges and nose held in mole grips worked for me.

Thanks. A nice piece of joinery. I think my fresh water tank lid must have been put on by a machine or a very strong man. Should surely have just been hand tightened. I've had the van from new, have never opened it before and just can't budge it.

The California had to go in for some work prior to its MoT and the VW workshop managed to loosen the freshwater tank lid for me. It's now on again hand-tightened and can be unscrewed if and when necessary. They said they used a 'special tool' - I suspect similar to those shown + brute force!

Once closed, you will probably need the tool again, so be prepared...

Back