Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Clear plastic strips on roof-well opening front-edge

Inbetween showers managed to take a few photos (and some that Perfectos requested a few days ago). Can't see any tape, so assume it's inside, i.e. hidden under the seal and intended not to be visible anyway (as one would hope for when factory fitted). Either way, this seems to be a separate issue from the 2 clear plastic strips on either side.

However, I still can't see what their function is or where there is a risk of metal-on-metal contact in this area because the only thing that is making contact with this top-edge and the plastic strips in question is just the rubber seal itself. Ans why are they just on either end, and not continuous across the whole top-ledge surface end-to-end?

When it goes back in for an inspection to see why one strip has started to dislodge I'll all once again

View attachment 115699

View attachment 115700

View attachment 115701

View attachment 115702

View attachment 115703

View attachment 115704
As I've explained in a previous post. The roof, manual or hydraulic, has to be centered when locked hence the profile for the front closure. If the roof is not perfectly centered it will move laterally as it closes and is locked and the rubber seal will rub on the paintwork, hence the tape.

Back