T6 onward anti roof corrosion protection strips

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Raising the roof a couple of months ago I knew the ridges where the elevating roof and fixed roof meet at the front had been dirty for a while and I'm not overly bothered about that but I did raise the question in my own mind as to whether the dirt may form a conductive pathway that the 3M tape strips are there to stop.

So I thought I'd give it a clean when the weather broke nicely.
There are 2 strips of clear 3M type tape on the ridge (one on either side of the roof) I believe this is also a retrofit on some vehicles but mine came from the factory like it.

Anyway, didn't the weather break nicely? but low and behold the tape has lifted away on the drivers side. So I showed it to my VW Dealer who got me new strips.
Here we are a couple of weeks later and its a small job but worth keeping an eye open for and I think the hardest part is removing old dirty adhesive..
You can see they are shaped to fit the contour and handed.
UK Part Number passenger side = 7E7-853-979
UK Part number Drivers side = 7E7-853-980

LS.jpg

Pack.jpg

Helicopter tape . Just cut it to fit and stick it on yourself. I found mine was peeling up . Looked like some movement In the roof rubbing it when driving. Found a broken plastic clip on thhe scissors. Replaced that and the tape seems to stay put now

I hear you but if you don't have any helicopter tape, it's probably simpler and as cheap as, to get the correct shaped pieces from VW.

I hear you but if you don't have any helicopter tape, it's probably simpler and as cheap as, to get the correct shaped pieces from VW.
No. Its not. Is it more hassle to order some off ebay delivered to your house. Trim with some scissors and stick on. Or drive the van to vw van centre and wait 3 days for them to stick some on for you for free under warranty?

No. Its not. Is it more hassle to order some off ebay delivered to your house. Trim with some scissors and stick on. Or drive the van to vw van centre and wait 3 days for them to stick some on for you for free under warranty?
Well, your opinion is just fine and I'm not dismissing the virtues of helicopter tape but I rang my dealer, they arrived as quick as a lot of eBay purchases, I drove 8 miles to pick them up and got them free.

Some people may want the correct OEM part.
This thread is intended for those people.
I guess I needn't have bothered posting and won't bother in future.

Well, your opinion is just fine and I'm not dismissing the virtues of helicopter tape but I rang my dealer, they arrived as quick as a lot of eBay purchases, I drove 8 miles to pick them up and got them free.

Some people may want the correct OEM part.
This thread is intended for those people.
I guess I needn't have bothered posting and won't bother in future.
no need to be so touchy. it was just a tip for maybe others who's tape has moved and don't live near a dealer or have a warranty. that tape,dealer or not,will come off again.also i gave you a pointer as to why it was coming off. won't bother in future

Last edited:
Not touchy,
Just pointing out the genuine option is easy in a thread that I authored.
Your solution will be adequate for many I'm sure.
I contemplated that route myself before contacting my dealer but it simply wasn't worth deviating from OEM to me. Quick simple and cheap.

Anyway folks.
There you go, the choice is yours.

Last edited:
Helicopter tape . Just cut it to fit and stick it on yourself. I found mine was peeling up . Looked like some movement In the roof rubbing it when driving. Found a broken plastic clip on thhe scissors. Replaced that and the tape seems to stay put now
I have some PPF / Helicopter tape and and considering this myself. Dealer couldn't find the strip on their system.. hence I'm on here now looking for options.

How strange (or poor maybe) did you give them the part numbers I posted here?

no need to be so touchy. it was just a tip for maybe others who's tape has moved and don't live near a dealer or have a warranty. that tape,dealer or not,will come off again.also i gave you a pointer as to why it was coming off. won't bother in future
would you guys think plastidipping the areas could also be a viable solution?
The OEM strips have proved not durable enough peeling off just after 2 years. Helicopter tape may work, but it has to be cut into shape, adhere without bubbles, possibly needing a hot gun ..
so i was thinking of 3 layers of white plastidip may do the job ?

would you guys think plastidipping the areas could also be a viable solution?
The OEM strips have proved not durable enough peeling off just after 2 years. Helicopter tape may work, but it has to be cut into shape, adhere without bubbles, possibly needing a hot gun ..
so i was thinking of 3 layers of white plastidip may do the job ?
I don't know much about plastistrip at all but my gut feeling is,....
At best you are trying to create a plastic film that could be peeled off later if necessary which is what the strips are.
At worst, that fails and you lose the integrity that an adhesive tape provides and need to remember to check it more frequently just incase.

Of use I understand that you are wondering if you can get the 'At best' scenario plus some additional durability but it looks like a lot of faffing around and may not prove to be as tough and resistant.

It's a no from me - I won't be investing - I'm out. ;)

Last edited:

Raising the roof a couple of months ago I knew the ridges where the elevating roof and fixed roof meet at the front had been dirty for a while and I'm not overly bothered about that but I did raise the question in my own mind as to whether the dirt may form a conductive pathway that the 3M tape strips are there to stop.

So I thought I'd give it a clean when the weather broke nicely.
There are 2 strips of clear 3M type tape on the ridge (one on either side of the roof) I believe this is also a retrofit on some vehicles but mine came from the factory like it.

Anyway, didn't the weather break nicely? but low and behold the tape has lifted away on the drivers side. So I showed it to my VW Dealer who got me new strips.
Here we are a couple of weeks later and its a small job but worth keeping an eye open for and I think the hardest part is removing old dirty adhesive..
You can see they are shaped to fit the contour and handed.

View attachment 109816

View attachment 109817
So just got my OEM tape straps delivered today.

To be clear, position wise.. is it just here and ditto on other side?

Had some Paintwork done and just wanted to check positions.

Thanks

Screenshot_20230712_201125_Chrome~2.jpg

@FredFlintstone
Gee Fred :D
Yes I believe just the 2 strips.
The shape of them will help positioning by the way it aligns with profile.
Easy enough and dry run with the backing tape left in place gives you that confidence regarding 'a little bit inboard, a little bit out board'.
I just think cleaning the area well (mainly getting old glue off) is the best thing you can do in this process.

Looking forward to a dry day now, then will fit!

Wonder why the gap between along the centre of the roof doesn't need this protection?

Looking forward to a dry day now, then will fit!

Wonder why the gap between along the centre of the roof doesn't need this protection?
Don't get me thinking like that, I just went with the fact that they are experts in resolving an existing issue. :eek:.
However...next time I look, I will look closer to see if adding some more (either continuous or intermittent sections) looks to be a good contribution where by I would grab some helicopter tape to add as well.
But perhaps the addition of the manufactured strips is a belt and braces thing with other changes?