Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cock up of the day

Great idea for a thread

personally I’ve managed to get from the campsite near Lacock across the dual carriageway and up to the roundabout before j noticed the boot was open. Nothing fell out!! I had been wondering though why the ‘idiot’ behind me kept flashing his lights

VW …… why is there no sensor!

I did this the other day, drove about half a mile onto the main road with the boot open. When I braked to stop the boot closed by itself! Nothing lost.

There is a sensor. It silently shows a van icon on the MFD with a white boot; white bonnet for an open bonnet; or one (or more) white door(s) for open door(s). On our very first camping trip in Amarillo we drove all the way from London to Swanage with the sliding door only partially latched. I was unable to work out why the MFD wouldn’t work.

Why no alarm sounds if you drive off with a door open is beyond my intellect to comprehend.

There is a sensor. It silently shows a van icon on the MFD with a white boot; white bonnet for an open bonnet; or one (or more) white door(s) for open door(s).

Another T6.1 improvement - its now a red line for an open door on a white outline of the van.

My wife is the checker before going away - she's v methodical being a nurse!! I simply make sure all technical camping kit is ok. Off to Mull for nice walking holiday. Stopped overnight in Glencoe as doing the short ferry hops and went for short walk in shoes I was wearing as dry. Arrived on site next day set up and getting kit ready for walk - day 1 raining & couldn't find my expensive Salomon walking boots anywhere in van...................all I had were the shoes on my feet I'd driven in, which weren't Goretex and wellies!!!! Managed to buy a pair of Sealskin socks on Mull to wear in shoes for longer walks or wellies for shorter walks!!!! Have bought a cheaper pair of Salomon boots that stay in van just in case - first thing in van now are my walking boots!!!

My most memorable was wild camping in Cornwall, got up at dawn for a pee, and listened in horror as the sliding door rolled itself shut and locked. So locked out of my bus, keys in the ignition, wearing nothing but my boxers. No phone, no signal anyway, no houses nearby. Managed to get back in after 2 hours of careful thought without damaging anything. I won't share how as it's a security weakness on that vintage California. Happy Days!

Another one. Going away next day, the van was plugged into the garage electrics and i drove off connected. Luckily the plug pulled out of the van so I went straight back, parked and plugged in again. Nothing electric in the van worked. I checked all switches and then panic stricken got on the internet to the club. Lots of helpful suggestions, none of which made any difference. Oh no, I've wrecked the vans electrics and we are off tomorrow.
I then put on the light in the garage to find I had blown the mains trip, put it back on and everything worked including the van!! Relief. What an idiot i am.
I now put a note on the windscreen to remind me.

Another one. Going away next day, the van was plugged into the garage electrics and i drove off connected. Luckily the plug pulled out of the van so I went straight back, parked and plugged in again. Nothing electric in the van worked. I checked all switches and then panic stricken got on the internet to the club. Lots of helpful suggestions, none of which made any difference. Oh no, I've wrecked the vans electrics and we are off tomorrow.
I then put on the light in the garage to find I had blown the mains trip, put it back on and everything worked including the van!! Relief. What an idiot i am.
I now put a note on the windscreen to remind me.

After reading this forum intently during our year long wait between order and delivery of Amarillo I learnt that the first thing to do before hookup is to tie an orange ribbon around the steering wheel.

After reading this forum intently during our year long wait between order and delivery of Amarillo I learnt that the first thing to do before hookup is to tie an orange ribbon around the steering wheel.
Not a bad aide memoire that :)