Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Collecting the Cali soon and getting ready with the essentials

18ME

18ME

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Collecting the Cali on March 4th so now collecting the essentials and accessories ready to start using it.

Visited the Caravan & Motorhome show today and bought a Cadac Safari Chef 30 HP and an Outdoor Revolution Cayman Combo Air PC awning. Also joined the CAMC and camping and caravan club.

I‘ve just looked at the Cali checklist download, it’s from 2016 so is that the latest one? There’s no mention of a gas bottle on the checklist so guessing it doesn’t come with one. What sort of rough price would you expect to pay for a full new bottle and best place to get one? Went for the HP Cadac as don‘t really want to use a large gas bottle. What’s the most popular gas bottles, Coleman C500?

Forgot to ask at the show about connecting the awning to the Cali, is it just a figure of 8 strip that I need?

I ordered the Cali with a towbar so that I can use a bike rack on it for a couple of electric bikes so now need to research the best racks that fold. Didn’t spec the comfort mattress based on many opinions on here so also need to do some research on them too.

Getting quite excited now :bananadance2

Congrats!

Calis haven't really changed, so 2016 will still be fine.

Good choice on the Cadac and CAMC. 500 do the trick.

RE awning, you'll need the figure of 8, as well as the kador strip (to connect your awning to the figure of 8).

Best bikerack in my opinion is the Thule XT-3 - https://amzn.to/49DjmC6

Folds down enough, can fit 3 bikes as standard and upgraded to four if needed, and also can fit a storage box if needed - Thule Backspace XT - https://amzn.to/49i8zxJ

Also, being Thule it also 'matches' the manufacturer of the OEM bikerack as well as awning re material/quality etc.

ref the mattress / topper
i would try and get to the club shop and try different options before you commit money
we tried various options (bare seats folded down, inflatable, duvavly, and ended up with IXTEND
what suits one may not suit another :)

i would try and get to the club shop and try different options before you commit money
we tried various options (bare seats folded down, inflatable, duvavly, and ended up with IXTEND
can echo this RE matresses. The OEM comfort one isn't great, and many third parties are better. That said, brand, memory foam, thickness etc all play a part. Keep in mind, the thicker you go, the harder to fold up the rear shelf, and so on.

A solid example of knowing/experiencing the vehicle before overcomitting on too many accessories (not that any of us ever listened to that advice when we got ours to be honest... :D) .

For your Cadac HP, I’d use the Campinggaz 907 type - same as you use in your van. Then you can swap over if they run low. Some people just use the one bottle, but that’s too much faff for us. We started out using a 904 (half size), but they became hard to source as refills. You’re right, the van doesn’t come with a bottle, but it SHOULD come with the isolation valve to fit on top of the bottle - something to check.

For your awning, get a “drive away kit”. It will come with a kador strip (normally 6mm/6mm) and 3 metres of fig of 8 strips. If you can, try and get a kador with 6mm one side, and 6mm plus 4mm other side. It will give you all the options for different sized kit. Also - buy the best, not the cheapest - the fig of 8 strips need to be robust and not flexible (kador strip just pulls out of these - happened to us!).

Enjoy it when it arrives - just in time for spring get always!!

Congrats!

Calis haven't really changed, so 2016 will still be fine.

Good choice on the Cadac and CAMC. 500 do the trick.

RE awning, you'll need the figure of 8, as well as the kador strip (to connect your awning to the figure of 8).

Best bikerack in my opinion is the Thule XT-3 - https://amzn.to/49DjmC6

Folds down enough, can fit 3 bikes as standard and upgraded to four if needed, and also can fit a storage box if needed - Thule Backspace XT - https://amzn.to/49i8zxJ

Also, being Thule it also 'matches' the manufacturer of the OEM bikerack as well as awning re material/quality etc.
Thank you and thanks for the advise and suggestions.

I do like the look of the Thule bike rack and the box. In the pictures on Amazon it shows the storage box and a bike behind it, shame you couldn't get the box and two bikes on, although I probably wouldn't need to have the box as there's only going to be the two of us.

Where's the club shop?

I do like the idea of the concertina folding mattresses and the hire Cali we had last year had the VW comfort mattress but I never slept on it although my other half did one night and said it was comfortable enough for her, but based on most opinions here I decided not to spec it and get a better one. I like the look of the iXtend one and it has good reviews but I can't believe the prices of some of this stuff. You could buy an half decent second hand car for the cost of all these accessories. :eek:

For your Cadac HP, I’d use the Campinggaz 907 type - same as you use in your van. Then you can swap over if they run low. Some people just use the one bottle, but that’s too much faff for us. We started out using a 904 (half size), but they became hard to source as refills. You’re right, the van doesn’t come with a bottle, but it SHOULD come with the isolation valve to fit on top of the bottle - something to check.

For your awning, get a “drive away kit”. It will come with a kador strip (normally 6mm/6mm) and 3 metres of fig of 8 strips. If you can, try and get a kador with 6mm one side, and 6mm plus 4mm other side. It will give you all the options for different sized kit. Also - buy the best, not the cheapest - the fig of 8 strips need to be robust and not flexible (kador strip just pulls out of these - happened to us!).

Enjoy it when it arrives - just in time for spring get always!!
Thanks. The Cadac HP is for the sole use of the smaller screw in gas canisters. I could have gone for the LP version and bought a regulator to use for either but I didn't want to carry another larger bottle. I could possibly end up regretting it but I guess until you start using these things you don't know. Is the large 907 bottle for the Cali only a camping gaz version so would it be best to just go to a camping gaz supplier for the first bottle?

I wasn't aware of the kador strip so will look for a drive away kit. Where's the best place for these?

Collecting the Cali on March 4th so now collecting the essentials and accessories ready to start using it.

Visited the Caravan & Motorhome show today and bought a Cadac Safari Chef 30 HP and an Outdoor Revolution Cayman Combo Air PC awning. Also joined the CAMC and camping and caravan club.

I‘ve just looked at the Cali checklist download, it’s from 2016 so is that the latest one? There’s no mention of a gas bottle on the checklist so guessing it doesn’t come with one. What sort of rough price would you expect to pay for a full new bottle and best place to get one? Went for the HP Cadac as don‘t really want to use a large gas bottle. What’s the most popular gas bottles, Coleman C500?

Forgot to ask at the show about connecting the awning to the Cali, is it just a figure of 8 strip that I need?

I ordered the Cali with a towbar so that I can use a bike rack on it for a couple of electric bikes so now need to research the best racks that fold. Didn’t spec the comfort mattress based on many opinions on here so also need to do some research on them too.

Depending on where in Worcestershire you are. Walsall is the cheapest we’ve found in this area:

That's a great price for a full 907 cylinder that @Betsycalifornia has found.

Your other option is to keep an eye on eBay for someone local selling an empty 907 cylinder cheap.
Then once you have an empty, you can take it to your nearest supplier who stocks Campingaz bottles and swap it for a full one.

I managed to pick up an empty cylinder last week off eBay for £8. But then it cost me £49 to exchange at my closest stockist :mad::mad: Couldn't find a cheaper option without travelling a long way.

We are collecting our Cali on the 8th March so I am also starting to round up a few bits and pieces. We already had one 907 cylinder, but my plan is to carry a second to use with our Cadac Safari.The second cylinder will also be a backup for the cylinder on the van should that run out mid way through a trip. I have a low pressure butane regulator and adapter to fit the Campingaz cylinder which attaches to the Cadac.

Where's the club shop?

I do like the idea of the concertina folding mattresses and the hire Cali we had last year had the VW comfort mattress but I never slept on it although my other half did one night and said it was comfortable enough for her, but based on most opinions here I decided not to spec it and get a better one. I like the look of the iXtend one and it has good reviews but I can't believe the prices of some of this stuff. You could buy an half decent second hand car for the cost of all these accessories. :eek:
Chesterfield from memory. There’s a link on the forum front page. Campervanbits

Looking at the ixtend mattresses but can’t figure out what the padding under the rear shelf is. I’m guessing nothing to do with the mattress?
1708122698360.jpeg

That’s a storage bag hanging down, the padding on top of the rear shelf is standard fitment in the ocean etc.

That’s a storage bag hanging down, the padding on top of the rear shelf is standard fitment in the ocean etc.
Thanks, found it. The Flexbag which seems to be a good idea and a very neat finish at the back of the van when you open the tailgate.

Looked on the club shop website but can’t figure out which one if any is for the two seat bench 6.1 ocean.

Thanks. The Cadac HP is for the sole use of the smaller screw in gas canisters. I could have gone for the LP version and bought a regulator to use for either but I didn't want to carry another larger bottle. I could possibly end up regretting it but I guess until you start using these things you don't know. Is the large 907 bottle for the Cali only a camping gaz version so would it be best to just go to a camping gaz supplier for the first bottle?

I wasn't aware of the kador strip so will look for a drive away kit. Where's the best place for these?
907 is a Campinggaz product. Most caravan and camping shops keep these. Around £70 to £75 is a fair price. New empty bottle cost about £45 (Halfords included) and refills £35 to £45. Go Outdoors occasionally have silly not to miss offers on. I (along with a good number of other Cali Club members) bought a full one last year with a Campinggaz stove for £40 ! The Club shop also sells new bottles for £50, and does refills. @Betsycalifornia has found a good deal. Chorley Gas is usually a good bet., although with postage you’ll get one more locally cheaper.

Drive Away kits available at the club shop, and again, most caravan and camping shops. Club shop link…. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/maypole-6mm-6mm-drive-away-awning-fixing-kit

907 is a Campinggaz product. Most caravan and camping shops keep these. Around £70 to £75 is a fair price. New empty bottle cost about £45 (Halfords included) and refills £35 to £45. Go Outdoors occasionally have silly not to miss offers on. I (along with a good number of other Cali Club members) bought a full one last year with a Campinggaz stove for £40 ! The Club shop also sells new bottles for £50, and does refills. @Betsycalifornia has found a good deal. Chorley Gas is usually a good bet., although with postage you’ll get one more locally cheaper.

Drive Away kits available at the club shop, and again, most caravan and camping shops. Club shop link…. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/maypole-6mm-6mm-drive-away-awning-fixing-kit

I'll keep my eye out for a gas bottle and although the nearest Go Outdoors is about 45 minutes away it might be good to have a look around.

I noticed there's two different makes of the drive away kits, Maypole and Kampa. The Maypole has 3 x 1m figure of 8 strips and the slightly more expensive Kampa has 3 x 75cm strips. Would one be better than the other in that respect?

I'll keep my eye out for a gas bottle and although the nearest Go Outdoors is about 45 minutes away it might be good to have a look around.

I noticed there's two different makes of the drive away kits, Maypole and Kampa. The Maypole has 3 x 1m figure of 8 strips and the slightly more expensive Kampa has 3 x 75cm strips. Would one be better than the other in that respect?
Currently Go Outdoors aren’t showing stock of 907s. It tends to be at the start of the camping season.

The awning length is about 2.6m. So 3 x 0.75m would be Okay for the tent, but a little short for the awning. Best to cut the fig of 8 strips to exactly fit the pull out awning. Also some Kampa Dometic strips we bought last year were made of quite soft plastic which Is not ideal! Most of the awning manufacturers make them - Outdoor Revolution, Vango etc. and ideally get them in a fabric bag.

Currently Go Outdoors aren’t showing stock of 907s. It tends to be at the start of the camping season.

The awning length is about 2.6m. So 3 x 0.75m would be Okay for the tent, but a little short for the awning. Best to cut the fig of 8 strips to exactly fit the pull out awning. Also some Kampa Dometic strips we bought last year were made of quite soft plastic which Is not ideal! Most of the awning manufacturers make them - Outdoor Revolution, Vango etc. and ideally get them in a fabric bag.
Just had a trip to Winfields Outdoors as they are the closest camping shop, just to see what they do and asked about the 907 bottles but although they normally stick them they were out of stock but expecting some in the next couple of weeks. Full new bottles are £69.99 and refills £34.99. They’ve taken my details and will let me know when they’re in.

Didn‘t realise the Cali rail was 2.6m and assumed they were 3m. Thanks for the info :thanks

Maybe should also mention, you can often pick up old 907 bottles on eBay / Facebook / Gumtree. It doesn’t matter what condition they are (within reason) as your refill will be a nice clean blue bottle. This is probably the cheapest was to get a full bottle.

We got Chorley Bottle Gas to deliver a 907 to the dealer so it was there when we collected it. Asked the dealer first if that was ok of course.
Was at our local recycling centre a few weeks later and found a perfect 907 cylinder which was carry as a spare and for the BBQ.

Last edited:
Just picked up a 907 at Go Outdoors, refill at £28. Swapped an old empty bottle I got 2nd hand For a £10, Chuffed with that £38 all in.

If you go your local tip or recycling centre they might have some I got one 907 for nothing it costs the council to get rid of them so they should give you them. it cost nothing to ask

Thinking of the Brandrup Ixtend mattress and the flexbag but looking on the club shop there are different colours for the flexbag. Titanium black, Palladium and Moonrock grey. I’ve spec’d the art velours, so which colour would be the best match?

In the same boat here. We are waiting our delivery date but looks like the 1st. So many things to consider and look at, it’s like being a child in a sweet shop again. I am mainly concentrated on shelving, draw liners and carpets at the moment to offset any issues with rattles. We had a conversation for 3 years and this was a major issue.
Also have gone for a SpaceMate sliding rear compartment shelf..
Enjoy, we certainly will

Back