Colour Question - Discuss

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Why are the majority of Motorhomes and Caravans WHITE in colour with a few decals.?

Why not, at least, a limited range of "Leisure" colours like the California?

Good question. Market forces I guess, supply and demand. They are quite big and use of decals can break up the space that might be too much in a single colour.

White is a cheap , not saying it looks cheap , but simply costs less than a color.
White paint is not a color , but a base to make a color.

White absorbs less energy from the sun and therefore cooler inside.

Slightly off topic but...

Ironically although white is the "lightest" colour it's actually the heaviest due to the fact you have to apply more of it (thicker layer of paint) when painting a vehicle than any other colour!

Also off topic but whoever designs or installs the decals for motorhomes needs to go on a design course because every motor home I ever see has totally awful application of the graphics with lines and shapes being interrupted by windows and shut lines. The graphics never seem to complement the shapes of the surroundings. ....but that's my OCD kicking in. Sorry.

Dunno about MHs, maybe it's a herd thing. They do seem to believe in safety in numbers.

Just seen a couple of the new two-tone Calis at the dealership showroom. They were in quite strong colours, not too sure if I liked them. But I think a pale colour like powder blue below, and white above, would look suitably retro.

IMG_5041.JPG

Off-White / Beige (occasionally almost Tan) used to be a lot more popular in the 1980s on Hymers etc.

White sucks & has peaked. Lot of darker bronze, graphite & blue new MHs in Portugal last month.

White box has had it's day. I think it started with caravans being produced in any colour as long as it's white and motor-home converters felt they had to do the same in order to "comply" with the caravanning market.

I do notice that one or two manufacturers are now keeping white for the main body and using various slap-on's of black for the cab area. I think it looks awful.

Why are the majority of Motorhomes and Caravans WHITE in colour with a few decals.?

Why not, at least, a limited range of "Leisure" colours like the California?
An even bigger question is,
Where do they get those dreadful furnishing materials from that bedecks every white motorhome?

My sister has one & I was remarkably surprised by how nice & modern the interior is, still white outside.

I always liked the blues that some Hobby motorhomes come in.

Not all motorhomes are OLD fashioned inside???? That's totally wrong?
we had a t5.1 based Karmann Colorado 7spd dsg easily flew along at 80mpg all day long..
Knocked socks of most things inside ..stunning build quality
and there white to reflect the heat from the sun better hence most being white..
Check out the big c class burstners they may be gold or silver but up on top the roof is white for a reason..
Also owned a Westfalia Columbus on a ducato
The interior was far from crap/old fashioned?? In fact it was a California on a bigger better scale
I love my Californias but sometimes I think people are biased until the actually see for them selves.. I would own another motorhome or van conversion (Westfalia) in a heartbeat.but for my time in life right now a California is more suitable..