Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas / LPG type warning label /sticker?

Phil Hall

Phil Hall

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
A more of an "out of interest question"

On Motorhomes, Caravans and some of the VW conversions they carry the diamond sticker warning gas aboard.

Any reason why we California owners do not have to display this sticker?

Cheers
Phil

Google LPG Gas stickers and it brings up a world of fun :)

It appears that for private use there is no legal requirement to display an LPG sticker on your camper or caravan.

However there are many "discussions" on caravan forums debating if it is better to have one anyway, or if having one might imply that you are carrying loads of gas and might set the fire service to high alert in case of an accident when actually they always assume that a caravan or motorhome is carrying a sensible amount of gas.

Google LPG Gas stickers and it brings up a world of fun :)

It appears that for private use there is no legal requirement to display an LPG sticker on your camper or caravan.

However there are many "discussions" on caravan forums debating if it is better to have one anyway, or if having one might imply that you are carrying loads of gas and might set the fire service to high alert in case of an accident when actually they always assume that a caravan or motorhome is carrying a sensible amount of gas.
Thank you. Followed up your Google advice - yes interesting and your reply post indeed summed things up well - Thank you.

I know there is lots on the web regarding these. I have a sticker on the outside and one on the rear storage compartment to indicate where the gas is.

I know there is lots on the web regarding these. I have a sticker on the outside and one on the rear storage compartment to indicate where the gas is.
Good idea. Which one do you use the red bottle on white background?

Got I little round one from the Germans... Saying it's passed its gas test - that's good enough, plus the obvious common sense from plod and fireman Sam.

I personally think that passing it's gas test is more important... Campsite should be checking for those! Just as anyone renting a house without the right certification is breaking the law...

And now someone will tell me that in 2 years I will need to have my Cali certificated again.... ???

The LPG sticker has nothing to do with the "gas test". It just indicates that LPG is on board. Yes Fireman Sam and Mr Plod will use their common sense, but they are not psychics and giving them some assistance cannot do any harm.
Not ALL T5's are conversions or Californias and those that are carry their gas cylinders in a variety of places or not at all.

Back