Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Compact shelter ideas

Gazbibelots1860

Gazbibelots1860

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi there, we’re off to France again this summer, we have a Decathlon Air seconds awning (which is part awning/part shelter) we used last time but it takes up loads of space and really it just served as a store room for all our stuff, it was too hot to sit in it anyway. It takes up a lot of space in the van packed away so I wondered if anyone could recommend any smaller shelters, that pack down really small, ideally with sides so we can put the kids car seats, dump bags etc in when we’re pitched up.

I guess it would be good to have something that gives us shelter from the sun/heat too (in addition to our wind out awning), the Decathlon awning got too hot to be in really.

Thanks

This is ideal for a cali packs down really small and it’s big enough for 4 adults and gear to sit and eat

Vented openable 4 sides, inexpensive and really easy to pitch

here in use in the new forest

IMG_0882.jpeg

Camper jam
IMG_0883.jpeg
west coast France
IMG_0884.jpeg

Last edited:
Decathlon Arpenaz works well. Pretty compact when packed and plenty of space when it’s up. I bought mine in France (cheaper there). Main poles are all aluminium and the structure is very rigid due to the design. Hardly needs any ropes to hold it down unless it’s really windy.

Last edited:
This is ideal for a cali packs down really small and it’s big enough for 4 adults and gear to sit and eat

View attachment 124039

Camper jam
View attachment 124040
west coast France
View attachment 124041
Brilliant thanks, don’t suppose you know

View attachment 124039

Camper jam
View attachment 124040
west coast France
View attachment 124041
brilliant thanks looks great! Good packaway size too. Hoping we don’t get rain but do you know if it keeps the water out, esp not having a ground sheet?

Decathlon Arpenaz works well. Pretty compact when packed and plenty of space when it’s up. I bought mine in France (cheaper there). Main poles are all aluminium and the structure is very solid due to the design. Hardly needs any ropes to hold it down unless it’s really windy.
This also looks good, very similar to the air seconds one we have but with poles, like the fact it has an enclosed groundsheet too, keen to know the size of the pack though, can’t seem to see it

Brilliant thanks, don’t suppose you know

brilliant thanks looks great! Good packaway size too. Hoping we don’t get rain but do you know if it keeps the water out, esp not having a ground sheet?
It’s really good in the rain , we’ve used it in absolute torrential rain, no leaks and it’s always light an airy , you can unzip the top section of each 4 sides and it will allow air and light in (mozi nets keep the buggers out)
i use two Moroccan matts (vw logo one in the photos ) as a ground sheet in the U.K., hotter climes no need , for the price it is exceptional

Last edited:
It’s really good in the rain , we’ve used it in absolute torrential rain, no leaks and it’s always light an airy , you can unzip the top section of each 4 sides and it will allow air and light in (mozi nets keep the buggers out)
i use two Moroccan matts (vw logo one in the photos ) as a ground sheet in the U.K., hotter climes no need for the price it is exceptional
By the way what are those rain shelters called you have attached to your wind out awning?

Ha ha, those are basic Oxford tarps , with a couple of extra eyelets punched into them , they are from Amazon, (posted the detail’s several times in various posts) inexpensive, pack up to the size of a sandwich can be pitched in various ways and helps keep the wind out to be tied down and keep the area under the wind out dry

Last edited:
Have a look at this thread for the component parts

This also looks good, very similar to the air seconds one we have but with poles, like the fact it has an enclosed groundsheet too, keen to know the size of the pack though, can’t seem to see it
No enclosed groundsheet at least not on my one.
Pack Dimensions: 89 x 22 x 30 cm, 11.6 kg

What I like about the Cinch is the disc-shaped bag. It sits behind the bench seat taking up almost no space. It's also a cinch to set up, it just pops itself up. Works well in wind, rain and sun. Get the Rolling Stone colour though - the Festival Green attracts flies apparently. What I don't like is the price. It's a robust bit of kit though, built to last.

What I like about the Thule awning sides is that you can see out through them. Very compact, they'll slot in with your chairs. They work very well as a sun shade, and are also good at shielding from wind and rain (though they're not water or windproof). What I don't like is the price...but you don't miss the cash once its gone, and I'm always happy to pop these out and zip them onto the awning bars and peg out in 3 minutes. I did think about one of those Comfortz awning rooms - really glad I didn't buy one - I don't want a full enclosure.

What I like about the Cinch is the disc-shaped bag. It sits behind the bench seat taking up almost no space. It's also a cinch to set up, it just pops itself up. Works well in wind, rain and sun. Get the Rolling Stone colour though - the Festival Green attracts flies apparently. What I don't like is the price. It's a robust bit of kit though, built to last.

What I like about the Thule awning sides is that you can see out through them. Very compact, they'll slot in with your chairs. They work very well as a sun shade, and are also good at shielding from wind and rain (though they're not water or windproof). What I don't like is the price...but you don't miss the cash once its gone, and I'm always happy to pop these out and zip them onto the awning bars and peg out in 3 minutes. I did think about one of those Comfortz awning rooms - really glad I didn't buy one - I don't want a full enclosure.
Oh the cinch looks cool! In fact I’m tempted by that stretch shelter they do instead!

We bought a Thule sun blocker for the front of the awning but we feel it doesn’t really block all the sun out, it’s a thick rubbery material so doesn’t pack down that small (and it wasn’t cheap!).

I like the idea of some lightweight side shades, like @Perfectos mentioned but may be happy to try and buy a sized set as I’m not sure I have the time or skills to make my own!

Have a look at the Olpro Kitchen tent, saw one at Busfest last year and really liked it for storage usage, my only concern about these separate tents/shelters is a lot of campsites seem to charge extra for them whereas an “awning” is usually free.

We have a Colapz shower/toilet tent. It’s really sturdy and takes a battering in the rain without leaking. We can store the table and chairs etc in it, and if we leave site we have a big pitch marker. Not sure we will bother with awning again.

IMG_0817.jpeg

We bought a Thule sun blocker for the front of the awning but we feel it doesn’t really block all the sun out, it’s a thick rubbery material so doesn’t pack down that small (and it wasn’t cheap!).

I like the idea of some lightweight side shades, like @Perfectos mentioned but may be happy to try and buy a sized set as I’m not sure I have the time or skills to make my own!
It’s not really making its more of making a small slit and hitting the reinforcement rings with a rubber mallet :bananadance2 :pinkbanana:bananadance2

come on you’ve got the skills for that :cheers

We have one and it sits easily behind the the rear bench seat with 2 64ltr boxes as well. I’m in van later so can send picture if you like

I am very happy with Arpenaz Base can be used as a living room or as a storage. I'd say it is missing some hooks or attachment points but it's justifies the price.

We have one and it sits easily behind the the rear bench seat with 2 64ltr boxes as well. I’m in van later so can send picture if you like
Ooh yes please, a photos of how you store it and the packed size would be really good to see, if it's not a massive pain for you!

We have a Colapz shower/toilet tent. It’s really sturdy and takes a battering in the rain without leaking. We can store the table and chairs etc in it, and if we leave site we have a big pitch marker. Not sure we will bother with awning again.

View attachment 124110
We have a similar set up. Minutes to put up and take down. Really sturdy and waterproof. Store all are stuff in here. Honestly it's the best thing we've purchased for the Cali. Don't know how we'd manage without it.
IMG_8603.jpeg

Halfords Bike Tent We have one of these.£50, tiny pack, fits in the space under the rear seat next to the drawer. Takes minutes to set up. Big enough to chuck loads of stuff in to clear out the van. Not 100% waterproof - get a small puddle in the bottom if heavy rain but we just keep anything we really don't want to get wet off the ground. For this year in France I have also bought 2 cheap tarps from Amazon - 180x210. Have sewn a kador strip on to one for the front, and will use the other one on the side of the awning - tested the tarps last weekend along with 1 of our Comfortz room panels, worked a treat. 1000011722.jpg 17193.jpg 1717669771002.png

link here to tarps we use - come with 3 connection points on each side for pole/pegs etc. HIKEMAN Outdoor Waterproof Multi-Purpose Camping Tent Tarp Ground Covering Groundsheet Mat Tent & Awning Carpet Multiple Size For Camping Hiking Picnic(Updated-grey,180 * 210cm) https://amzn.eu/d/ixR5nUa

we've been using a Khyam toilet tent so far, that we already had before buying the Cali
small when set up, but ok to store2 chairs, BBQ, table etc in.

My goodness - how much stuff do you folks take with you!!!! Even with my Vango Kilda Air Low awning under rear bench with a tarp as well we seem to have loads of space!! Perhaps as we were used to less storage in our T5 conversion we can pack lite. Wife has already sorted perfeclty sized clear containers ofr the 2 main cupboards into which all cooking stuff and mugs, plates etc go. Next to nothing in large bench drawer and the slim extra side drawer next to bench (ours had the upgraded draw) this acts as a pantry for tinned stuff. Double slepping bag either on rear bed extension or folded in wardrobe - we still have loads of space even with large black lab in there with his bed. When it comes to clothes all our stuff packs into a holdall each and our day sacs. No more woolly jumpers etc now modern polyester materials and down jackets that pack small; waterproof jackets always hanging on back of seats. In fact my wife is now wondering if she's forgotten something?? Perhaps years ago back packing made taught me how to pack well - just saying lol.

Having said that we treat as a hotel and don't spend time on the site; we're off up in the hills or on the beach etc so breakfast and gone till dinner and relax.

Hi there, we’re off to France again this summer, we have a Decathlon Air seconds awning (which is part awning/part shelter) we used last time but it takes up loads of space and really it just served as a store room for all our stuff, it was too hot to sit in it anyway. It takes up a lot of space in the van packed away so I wondered if anyone could recommend any smaller shelters, that pack down really small, ideally with sides so we can put the kids car seats, dump bags etc in when we’re pitched up.

I guess it would be good to have something that gives us shelter from the sun/heat too (in addition to our wind out awning), the Decathlon awning got too hot to be in really.

Thanks
For us (2 adults 2 kids eldest now 10) we have Been using one of these 2 decathlon pop up tents. Since we have had our Cali new in 2012.

We always go over to the continent every year for at least 2 weeks.

It’s awesome packs up flat. And great to chuck all the stuff in. We can it the garage.

We are now on our second version. The first one breaking, simply replaced it at the nearest decathlon.

We also have a L Coleman event shelter, which is great to give you cover from the rain or sun. Given its size it does not take up too
Much room and stows away quite nicely at the back of the bottom shelf.

We have also had a blow up drive away awning which we no longer use. (I need to find it a new home)