Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Shelter instead of driveaway awning?

Monica

Monica

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi
We are thinking of buying a shelter instead of a driveway awning as it is much cheaper and can be used in the garden as a gazebo without the sides.
Is anyone using this decathlon shelter? Any good?
Thanks in advance
Monica

Screenshot_2016-03-15-17-40-49.png

We also ditched the drive away for a free standing decathlon inflatable shelter. Much prefer it. It's possible to park very close and step out from van into the shelter, if you want to. Can't comment on the one you are looking at however

We also ditched the drive away for a free standing decathlon inflatable shelter. Much prefer it. It's possible to park very close and step out from van into the shelter, if you want to. Can't comment on the one you are looking at however

We like the inflatable one but it is not for sale anymore :-(

We have a Kyham screen house quick erect shelter but bought the Decathalon inflatable base as well. However we sent the Decathalon one back as although it was functional we found it heavy and bulkier than the Kyham and no quicker to put up.

We like the inflatable one but it is not for sale anymore :-(
That's a shame as it's very versatile. You can add sleeping pods which we use for longer stays. Worth keeping an eye out on the auction sites.

I'm thinking about getting a Decathalon Quechua Base seconds instead of an awning. It pops up in an instant and goes away in a couple of minutes. 8ft square and 6ft high and around £140.

We already have some of their pop up tents and they're really good quality.

It's just a shame that some campsites seem to charge extra for this sort of thing!

I prefer the separate shelter idea (I have the inflatable MSH Decathalon one no longer available), BUT just worth a mention that I know of one site that won't allow a free standing shelter. This one is in Lytham, and their license doesn't allow tents. A conventional drive away awning (that connects) is OK there, but not a free standing one.

I think the site's conditions may be a planning 'one off', unless "you know different"

I'm thinking about getting a Decathalon Quechua Base seconds instead of an awning. It pops up in an instant and goes away in a couple of minutes. 8ft square and 6ft high and around £140.

It's just a shame that some campsites seem to charge extra for this sort of thing!

I agree, it's crazy. We have even been on sites where driveaway awnings are OK but the Base Seconds is not.
Or it is, but it has to be on the tent part of the site. Had quite a "discussion" about this once with one particularly jobs worth and he reckons it is to do with the planning permission for the site. Seems that if the tent can be attached to the van it's OK and is a driveaway awning, if it can't then it's a tent and has to be on a different part of the site.:headbang

We have a Kyham screen house quick erect shelter but bought the Decathalon inflatable base as well. However we sent the Decathalon one back as although it was functional we found it heavy and bulkier than the Kyham and no quicker to put up.
We already have a Kyham screen house and intend to use that.

I understand it may be possible to add a 'connection' so that you can claim it could be attached eg Velcro or a kador strip. We actually have an Easycamp Daytona but have only attached it to the van on one trip otherwise had it sideways.

We have a pop up gazebo by Quest. It is genius. Goes up in under 30 seconds.

We use a coleman party shelter and just wind the awning out to meet it seems to work ok .

We had a vango blow up awning, great to put up and down but very heavy and always felt it cut the van off from outside. Have just got a Quechua base to sit at the back of the wind out awning, hopefully the best of both. I will find out at Eskdale.

We went for the pop Quechua - brilliant. Wind out the awning a couple of foot and tie into to the wind out awning poles.

We use a Brandrup canopy, as shown in our photo, or a Khyam Motordome Classic Driveaway in grey, to match the silver van. Both great, just horses for courses.

saving money to buy a oztent RV2 or RV3 myself. Search for 'oztent' on this forum to read some interesting threads about awnings and tents. It is heavy , expensive , fast to setup and bullet proof just like a cali. I'v been looking at an reading about all awning tents I could find but the oztent stays on the top of my wishlist.

Back