Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Complimentary California pre-holiday Check

Ting Tong

Ting Tong

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
If anyone fancies having free "Carpet and floor mat checks" amongst other things, then this may be of interest. I don't think I'll bother wasting all day on something I can do myself and, apart from the carpet and mat check, there's nothing else related to the habitation being checked.

Image2.jpg

Good thing but i think just a trick to get you to visit them , in the end they wil find something that "needs to be done" and charged for .
But they might as wel find a serious error you were not aware of specialy for people who don't even know how to check tyre pressure or oil level this is a must do ...

Could work out to be an expensive ‘Free’ wash & vac!

Could work out to be an expensive ‘Free’ wash & vac!
My wife bought an MX5 from a local dealer a few years ago, they offered a free car wash every Sunday , you dropped your car off then went into the show room for free coffee/tea cakes then given a shout when you car was ready
Talking to one of the salesmen, told me sales had rocketed since bringing in this free service

Good afternoon,

If everything is going well (mostly depends on Covid-19) we plan to visit Scandinavia. The route, in general, is already planned. I assume we will drive about 8,800 km.

Because the journey will bring us in remote areas I want to ensure that the camper is in good shape. Because of this I will bring the van to VW a month before we leave.

I copied the list of the free VW check and keep it for next year. There are a few items I would not be able to check myself:

• Wheel and wheel nut checks (VW has a torque wrench, I don't)​
  • Transmission check​
  • Exhaust system check​
  • Belts and levels checks​
  • Engine oil check (I could do this, but if it needs to be topped up they can use the original oel)​
  • Brake fluid check​
  • Coolant - strength and level checks​
  • Steering check​
  • Front and rear suspension checks​
  • Brakes visual check (pads and discs) (I will ask for this at the normal service in November anyway)​
  • Battery check​
  • Tyre alignment check​
I will add:
  1. Refill AdBlue
  2. Change the wipers

Before the holiday I will get new tyres regardless. It will be either the Michelin Latitude Cross or the BF Goodrich Urban Terrain (with the BF Goodrich Urban Terrain it seems they are only available with a Tyre Load Rating of "99". With my Michelin Cross Climate I have a Tyre Load Rating of "103". I am not sure if the Load Rating for "99" is sufficient for a fully loaded California Ocean).

What I try to say, if VW Ireland would offer that free check I would go for it. At the end if they find something it is up to me to decide if I want to get it changed or repaired and when.

Happy California,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

If everything is going well (mostly depends on Covid-19) we plan to visit Scandinavia. The route, in general, is already planned. I assume we will drive about 8,800 km.

Because the journey will bring us in remote areas I want to ensure that the camper is in good shape. Because of this I will bring the van to VW a month before we leave.

I copied the list of the free VW check and keep it for next year. There are a few items I would not be able to check myself:

• Transmission check​
  • Exhaust system check​
  • Engine oil check (I could do this, but if it needs to be topped up they can use the original oel)​
  • Brake fluid check​
  • Steering check​
  • Brakes visual check (pads and discs) (I will ask for this at the normal service in November anyway)​
  • Battery check​
  • Tyre alignment check​
I will add:
  1. Refill AdBlue
  2. Change the wipers

Before the holiday I will get new tyres regardless. It will be either the Michelin Latitude Cross or the BF Goodrich Urban Terrain (with the BF Goodrich Urban Terrain it seems they are only available with a Tyre Load Rating of "99". With my Michelin Cross Climate I have a Tyre Load Rating of "103". I am not sure if the Load Rating for "99" is sufficient for a fully loaded California Ocean).

What I try to say, if VW Ireland would offer that free check I would go for it. At the end if they find something it is up to me to decide if I want to get it changed or repaired and when.

Happy California,
Eberhard
Load rating of 99 - No.

Good afternoon,

• Transmission check​
  • Exhaust system check​
  • Brake fluid check​
  • Steering check​
  • Battery check​
  • Tyre alignment check​
I will add:
  1. Refill AdBlue
  2. Change the wipers

Happy California,
Eberhard
Load rating of 99 is for cars. You need a van tyre with a loading of 103. 99 tyres may be illegal and your insurance company may well have something to say! If in an accident on 99s then the police will certainly have something to say I expect.

Good afternoon,

Thank you Wildcamper for the information. I thought about this. Basically I h ave nothing against the Michelin, except they are a wee bit more expensive than the BF Goodrich.

I will check with BF Goodrich if the Urban Terrain comes with a Tyre Load Rate of 103 also. If not I have to get the Michelin... how I will explain the additional cost to my wife is a different matter....

Happy California,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

Thank you Wildcamper for the information. I thought about this. Basically I h ave nothing against the Michelin, except they are a wee bit more expensive than the BF Goodrich.

I will check with BF Goodrich if the Urban Terrain comes with a Tyre Load Rate of 103 also. If not I have to get the Michelin... how I will explain the additional cost to my wife is a different matter....

Happy California,
Eberhard
Hankook do 103 tyres. These came on my van from new, so fitted by VW.

Hello Wildcamper,

Which model from Hankook? I was looking for a tyre that covers 70 - 90 % road usage and 30 - 10% off road.

Have I said that, many, many years ago I got a set of Hankook tyres on my Skoda. By gosh, they were bad. I made the garage to take them off. They were horrible.

It might be that the Hankook tyres have improved, but with my experience in mind I would be more hesitant to get a set of new tyres from Hankook.

Happy California,
Eberhard

Something like RA28s. I did not choose them, they were on the van as delivered by VW. They work for me.

Love my Cali, but would avoid these free visits personally. I’ve never found a dealer of any make that cares as much about my vehicle as I do. I have found scratches and oily boot marks after I got vehicles back.... They don’t care and what level of personnel do you think they employ in these wash bays???

Back