Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Composition Media DAB+ Radio system with 6.33" touch-screen

R

RibbleValley

When ordering a T6 Ocean I know I want to spec App-Connect in order to use apps from my (in this case Android) phone - music, navigation etc..

To do that I understand you have to pay for the App-Connect function (£144) plus upgrade to the "Media" unit with 6.33" screen unit for £162

Various YouTube videos show this in action and working with the voice control button on the steering wheel to utilise Apple Siri or Google Now voice control.

My question - to do that do you need to also order Voice Control from VW - an extra £162, or is that only needed to utilise voice control functions of the media unit itself (i.e. not the Apple / Google functions).

Thanks!

I have the app connect & 6.33 screen, but with Apple Carplay

Voice control doesn't work on mine from the steering wheel as i didn't pay for voice control from VW. However siri voice control does work from the headunit touchscreen

When ordering a T6 Ocean I know I want to spec App-Connect in order to use apps from my (in this case Android) phone - music, navigation etc..

To do that I understand you have to pay for the App-Connect function (£144) plus upgrade to the "Media" unit with 6.33" screen unit for £162

Various YouTube videos show this in action and working with the voice control button on the steering wheel to utilise Apple Siri or Google Now voice control.

My question - to do that do you need to also order Voice Control from VW - an extra £162, or is that only needed to utilise voice control functions of the media unit itself (i.e. not the Apple / Google functions).

Thanks!
I also have the 6.33 unit with App Connect. I didn't pay for voice control. If I press the voice button on the steering wheel without a phone connected then i get a voice prompt 'inviting' me to purchase a licence key for voice control. However if I have my iPhone connected with carplay operational then I can activate Siri using the voice control button on the steering wheel or on the hed unit. Not that you don't get full Siri functionality. You can only ask Siri to do things related to the Carplay apps when it is connected. If you ask Siri to do other things (e.g. look something up on the internet) then she / he will ignore you. But it works just fine for navigation instructions (Apple Maps only), controlling the phone or sending messages.

I believe as I haven't got mine that you get voice control as s separate option on an Ocean or with the Discover Media Plus package. Hopefully somebody who has it can confirm.
Description I got from one catalogue is.....

“Discover Media Plus” navigation system(not illustrated). In addition to the func- tions of the “Discover Media” navigation system with eight loudspeakers, the equipment also includes: DAB+ digital radio reception, voice "control, Car-Net App-Connect, electronic voice amplifica- tion, Volkswagen Media Control, andthe “Comfort” mobile phone interface withthe MEDIA-IN interface.

Mike

I also have the 6.33 unit with App Connect. I didn't pay for voice control. If I press the voice button on the steering wheel without a phone connected then i get a voice prompt 'inviting' me to purchase a licence key for voice control. However if I have my iPhone connected with carplay operational then I can activate Siri using the voice control button on the steering wheel or on the hed unit. Not that you don't get full Siri functionality. You can only ask Siri to do things related to the Carplay apps when it is connected. If you ask Siri to do other things (e.g. look something up on the internet) then she / he will ignore you. But it works just fine for navigation instructions (Apple Maps only), controlling the phone or sending messages.

Oh! I was sure i tried that, i'll have to have another go :)

I believe as I haven't got mine that you get voice control as s separate option on an Ocean or with the Discover Media Plus package. Hopefully somebody who has it can confirm.
Description I got from one catalogue is.....

“Discover Media Plus” navigation system(not illustrated). In addition to the func- tions of the “Discover Media” navigation system with eight loudspeakers, the equipment also includes: DAB+ digital radio reception, voice "control, Car-Net App-Connect, electronic voice amplifica- tion, Volkswagen Media Control, andthe “Comfort” mobile phone interface withthe MEDIA-IN interface.

Mike
I believe that's correct Mike. But I believe that the OP wants to know whether it's possible to use the voice-control capability of Apple IOS (or Android) with Carplay (or the Android equivalent) using the voice control button on the steering wheel without buying / paying for the VW Voice Contriol. I can confirm that it works for Apple - I don't know about Android.

Quinnster77 - try again - it definitely works for me. You have to have an active / connected Carplay device at the time.

Dave

Thanks all. So it looks like I don't need to order voice control to have basic control over calls if the phone is connected to the system via USB cable (ie using the voice control features baked into the phone, be it Google Now or Siri). That is good news.

Also good news is the fact that you can order voice control later as it is just a software lock that requires a code to unlock (if I have understood correctly). Although I do think that this functionality should be included in the price of the upgraded head unit - the charge is pretty steep for a function that greatly enhances usability and also makes the vehicle safer.

I believe that's correct Mike. But I believe that the OP wants to know whether it's possible to use the voice-control capability of Apple IOS (or Android) with Carplay (or the Android equivalent) using the voice control button on the steering wheel without buying / paying for the VW Voice Contriol. I can confirm that it works for Apple - I don't know about Android.

Quinnster77 - try again - it definitely works for me. You have to have an active / connected Carplay device at the time.

Dave

Tried it today. If I press the steering wheel button quickly I get the message about enabling voice control. Press & hold I get Siri. Happy days

Reactions: DM
As this thread is specifically about the unit fitted in my T6 Beach In thought I'd just ask if anyone else was disappointed in the DAB & FM reception?
Both locally and on a longer journey today, the DAB kept dropping and switching to FM, which again was not always that good.
The thing is that the DAB reception on my old Caravelle was fine (retro fitted) in the same areas.
Anyone else had a problem?
T5 owners seem to think the DAB Aerial in the wing mirror isn't really up to the job.

Thanks all. So it looks like I don't need to order voice control to have basic control over calls if the phone is connected to the system via USB cable (ie using the voice control features baked into the phone, be it Google Now or Siri). That is good news.

Also good news is the fact that you can order voice control later as it is just a software lock that requires a code to unlock (if I have understood correctly). Although I do think that this functionality should be included in the price of the upgraded head unit - the charge is pretty steep for a function that greatly enhances usability and also makes the vehicle safer.
I have the same setup with out voice control and you can still use Siri and control the phone with the same button, one press gets the error about voice control activation but a long press activates Siri.

I have the same setup with out voice control and you can still use Siri and control the phone with the same button, one press gets the error about voice control activation but a long press activates Siri.

I only found out about this after ordering voice control alongside App Connect (we've got standalone VC on another car and it's great and it was around the time VW didn't seem to understand their own options combinations so played it safe and ordered both) Now seems like Voice Control might now be the most pointless optional extra! Anyone know of anything it can do that Siri can't?

I am also disappointed with the radio on the Ocean, the CD and USB music are excellent but the radio is not even as good as any of my portable house units.
I hope VW will eventually come up with a fix.

I am also disappointed with the radio on the Ocean, the CD and USB music are excellent but the radio is not even as good as any of my portable house units.
I hope VW will eventually come up with a fix.

I don't use the radio much, why don't you like it?

I don't use the radio much, why don't you like it?
It has a slightly sibilant/thin sound, not nearly as good as my Volvo's radio, this for a unit that cost over £1400, as I said the CD/USB sound is fine, just the radio on both VHF and DAB is disapointing.

my AM radio stations produces this swoop swoop swoop (siren like) sound that was totally absent in my Subaru Forester AM/FM radio/cd player.

Any ideas as to where this comes from....? Is there a fix. I doubt my VW dealer in Cape Town can help. its all stock standard.

And why the hell didnt they make a favourites page so you can put an AM station next to an FM station - this is software for &**&sakes..!

Back