Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Composition media radio and enabling Voice Control

Alan Andrews

Alan Andrews

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have all the Voice control buttons on the media radio head unit and multi function steering wheel, and would like to have Voice Control working.

When I press the Voice button on either the head unit or the steering wheel, I get an on-screen message to say that I need an activation code from my VW dealer.

I booked my Ocean in the Birmingham Van Centre today to have Voice Control enabled.

But I've been told that Voice Control can only be enabled if it is specified in the original factory build order.

And if so, why does the on-screen message say so?

Is this correct?

I'm tempted to contact VW UK direct to ask them.

Does anyone have any experience with enabling Voice Control on their California please?

Many thanks

You probably already know this but do you have the 6.33 screen? just wondering because if you choice the voice enhancement at £114 on the configurator it wants you to add the 6.33 touch screen composition media radio.

I have the same thing happening on mine, my dealer told me that I would have to have a unit fitted and that it is not actually a code the unit would cost around £300 so I just use Bluetooth instead. Can you use your microphone to speak through when somebody rings you on your phone when you are in your Ocean driving.

I have the same thing happening on mine, my dealer told me that I would have to have a unit fitted and that it is not actually a code the unit would cost around £300 so I just use Bluetooth instead. Can you use your microphone to speak through when somebody rings you on your phone when you are in your Ocean driving.
Thank you for your replies.
Yes I have the 6.33inch screen and can use App Connect to speak to the phone. App Connect is ok but have to be very careful with amount of data that gets used. I'd like to have Voice Control for the radio controls.

VW Birmingham did not mention about any extra module/unit that is required - but this would fit in with what they were trying to say.

Even so, why would they provide a Media/Radio heads unit and Multi function steering wheel with all the Voice buttons if they cannot be upgraded at a later date? This does not make sense to me.

Even so, why would they provide a Media/Radio heads unit and Multi function steering wheel with all the Voice buttons if they cannot be upgraded at a later date? This does not make sense to me.[/QUOTE]

I know where you're coming from, I was told by our dealer it's a VW thing they like to keep the spec on a Particula vehicle genuine whatever that means. Here is another VW mystery for you I have a two tone red-and-white VW generation six, I can only buy the white touchup paint for my vehicle even though I need both simply because the original base vehicle is white, I was told by the parts department that I would need to go into the paint department and have them mix me a one litre can for me to use, so I went on Facebook and got the paint code for the cherry red :headbang

Even so, why would they provide a Media/Radio heads unit and Multi function steering wheel with all the Voice buttons if they cannot be upgraded at a later date? This does not make sense to me.

I know where you're coming from, I was told by our dealer it's a VW thing they like to keep the spec on a Particula vehicle genuine whatever that means. Here is another VW mystery for you I have a two tone red-and-white VW generation six, I can only buy the white touchup paint for my vehicle even though I need both simply because the original base vehicle is white, I was told by the parts department that I would need to go into the paint department and have them mix me a one litre can for me to use, so I went on Facebook and got the paint code for the cherry red :headbang[/QUOTE]
that is crazy.

Hi unfortunately it’s not possible for voice control to be activated retrospectively App connect is possible depending on what type of usb you have ( it needs to be Apple certified). The reason it comes up saying contact your dealer is because it was for a period of time possible on passenger car the t6 shares the same radio as the beetle. Unfortunately it’s never been unlocked by factory as a retro fit option for vw commercial vehicles, I know the Cali is not strictly a commercial vehicle but it’s base vehicle is the T6.

Back