Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Concerned about diesel? Try this, the way forward.

I was really hoping this was going to be a petrol powered vw camper .
The solar powered thing is a great idea but it probably needs a little more refinement :)

I was really hoping this was going to be a petrol powered vw camper .
The solar powered thing is a great idea but it probably needs a little more refinement :)

Psst , the T6 Cali has a petrol version , only not in the UK;)

Would you buy a petrol cali if you could?

It's such a good conversion, you hardly know it's there! :)

In2002 we were at a road house near Alice Springs when a flying saucer on 3 wheels came rolling in at about 15 miles an hour. It was about 4ft high with the flat top covered with solar cells and a dome where the driver sat. It was backed up by a caravan of 2 trucks and a repair trailer. They spent a long time pumping cold air to revive the driver who was slowly cooking in his dome in 45 degree heat.
This was part of a university competition to cross Australia in a solar powered car. Although it was technologically a long time ago my faith in solar powered vehicles fell dramatically at the point and has never recovered.

In2002 we were at a road house near Alice Springs when a flying saucer on 3 wheels came rolling in at about 15 miles an hour. It was about 4ft high with the flat top covered with solar cells and a dome where the driver sat. It was backed up by a caravan of 2 trucks and a repair trailer. They spent a long time pumping cold air to revive the driver who was slowly cooking in his dome in 45 degree heat.
This was part of a university competition to cross Australia in a solar powered car. Although it was technologically a long time ago my faith in solar powered vehicles fell dramatically at the point and has never recovered.

Ah, the World Solar Challenge. My son took part in that last year. The racers manage a bit better than 15mph these days. The winning team (Delft University) did the whole 3,000 km from Darwin to Adelaide at an average speed of 92 kph and the top cars can max 130 kph - in fact, the organisers have to keep tightening the rules (eg max battery sizes) to keep the cars within the speed limit and allow the support vehicles to keep up.

Although they do still look like UFOs...

Ah, the World Solar Challenge. My son took part in that last year. The racers manage a bit better than 15mph these days. The winning team (Delft University) did the whole 3,000 km from Darwin to Adelaide at an average speed of 92 kph and the top cars can max 130 kph - in fact, the organisers have to keep tightening the rules (eg max battery sizes) to keep the cars within the speed limit and allow the support vehicles to keep up.

Although they do still look like UFOs...
Yes, they may keep improving performance, in fact, I'm sure they will, but requiring a team of support vehicles and having to look like a UFO in a country with wall to wall sunshine suggests that we won't see any practical vehicles running round the British countrysid soon! I don't know what your son did, I just hope that he didn't,t get cooked like the poor devil we saw.

@Willshake , feel free to step out of the dark and explain things....

I think I would as long as it was non turbo.

Back