Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

California conversion to electric?

Discussion in 'General VW T5 & T6 California Chat' started by cristina McLean, Sep 5, 2017.

1. kaf2546

kaf2546 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    I picture an electric Cali with small back up petrol engine just to charge the batteries like BMW i3, electric air heater, induction hob (gains a work surface) and solar roof as extra back up. Therefore no diesel or gas. Could have an electric water heater option for outside shower and take gas canister stove for outside cooking.

2. Seán Kerr

Seán Kerr VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    I have an i3 but without the range extender, which suits me. I personally don't think the Cali will need a RE by the time an electric version is available. The rumoured i5 is meant to aiming for a 435 mile range and, by that time, charging will be faster and more readily available. Time will tell though!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  3. flying banana

flying banana VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    lithium mining. battery life. disposal. shipping. they're my guesses. it's as stupid as importing bottled water from Fiji to a country where it's good out the tap

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. flying banana

flying banana VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    my neighbour has an electric BMW I satsuma or whatever its called. he has it plugged in to his house. when I asked him what the range was he said 190 miles. ! no way was that lead long enough.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Seán Kerr

Seán Kerr VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Is that conclusion ('stupid') based on any particular study of the comparative total life environmental impact of electric vs combustion engined vehicles or just a list of all of the items you could think to place in the negative column? ;)

6. briwy

briwy VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Yes and even dafter is importing woodchip from Norway and Canada to burn in power plants.

• Like Like x 1
  7. flying banana

flying banana VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    what happens to batteries mate when they are knackered. and I'm not talking about the little ones that power the clock in the shed. a battery van would have a huge weight of battery packs in there. how much fossil fuel is burnt making the battery. mining the lithium I assume is not done with electric jcbs how much fossil fuel do massive ocean going ships pump through their crude huge heavy oil engines. and then there's charging the things. 32 amps supply needed and power stations burning fossil fuels to power the sockets. no facts but I reckon it's a waste of time

8. Seán Kerr

Seán Kerr VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    So it was the latter. Yes, of course you are correct about the energy required to manufacture, transport and dispose of electric vehicles. It sounds like your conclusion is based on those factors alone and/or a gut feel. The total lifetime environmental impact of the vehicles is what matters, which includes the impact of manufacture, transportation, use and disposal. I'm interested to understand if you've seen or been involved in any studies that conclude that transitioning to electric vehicles will have a negative environmental impact vs combustion vehicles on that wider and more relevant basis.

9. flying banana

flying banana VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    I work on railway mate. funny how they are now fitting brand new electric trains with 3 underslung diesel engines to drag around because apparently the wires are now seen as unsightly. what they mean is too costly

10. flying banana

flying banana VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    stupid idea to convert a cali. but good debate

11. flying banana

flying banana VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    bmw 116 d 83 mpg. Toyota prius mpg 64. plus battery manufacture and replacement every 5 year at least. no brainer what's best for the planet.and also how would an electric van be heated at night with no diesel parking heater? a great big oil radiator?be a big leisure battery to power that without hook up. it doesn't make sense on so many points it will never make sense while we are alive..well me anyway

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  12. Seán Kerr

Seán Kerr VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    A Prius is a hybrid, not fully electric. It has a combustion engine. Moving to electric vehicles will be better for the environment than combustion cars based on total environmental impact. No question and every single environmental body agrees. The i3 is significantly better than the 118d which, when studied in comparison by BMW (and independently verified by TUV SUD), was the Green Car of the Year.

13. Seán Kerr

Seán Kerr VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
  14. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    Interesting - at present it is dark outside and very/very windy BUT
    The local Solar Farm output is - 0 -

The local Wind Turbine Farm output is - 0 -, as they have all been switched Off as it is too windy.

So we're now on Gas/Oil/Coal and Woodchip power generation plus some Nuclear and Hydro generation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. John Guppy

John Guppy VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    And pooh power I expect WG. Have you seen the price of these BMW. I have a plug in Prius does over 70mpg cost £14 k s/h I am happy with performance
    No good trying to save the planet. Someone will destroy it what ever we do or say
    i can say if you buy an electric California. You will never be as happy as any T ? Owner

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. John Guppy

John Guppy VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    Just had a cold bath. As no sun today means cold water

• Like Like x 1
  17. John Guppy

John Guppy VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    I have considered having a C2G ( car to grid ) system installed in my property after investigation the company in charge of the grid system feeding my house have turned down my application for the following reasons
    1. I already have a 4Kw Solar PV system ( the max allowed at time of install )
    2. Our estate is fed from one transformer ( this means if transformer blows up its a long down time repair )
    Most estates are fed at both ends to enable them to switch both ends in case of a fault , this has been like it for 30 years and is costly to improve
    3. Imputing 4KW back into the grid means the immediate houses connected to the same Phase as me could read 240v or even higher
    So adding another feed from my car would cause all sorts of problems
    It seems no investment is being done it improving older parts of the grid ( I live in the centre of town )

New developments being installed are upgraded to take these extra facility including fibre internet directly into the house all paid for by the developer

seems everyone wins except the end user

If I was able to generate 8KW back into the grid it would supply a small number of houses on the same phase ether side of my house

18. RodCouncil

RodCouncil A Brit in Sweden VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    I'm feeling smug about not buying a new Cali at 76k and saving both the env and my wallet from wasting more materials on another car.

19. Loz

Loz Ocean 204 4M DSG MY17 Blackberry VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Why are you on here then? :)

20. RodCouncil

RodCouncil A Brit in Sweden VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    Because we bought a 2012 van for half the price.

The point is buying any new vehicle has a bigger environmental impact than going for a used one.