Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Condition of batteries

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
My California left the factory just over 2 weeks ago and is now at Sheerness awaiting transport to the dealership. It’s extremely unlikely I’ll now take delivery before the lockdown starts on Thursday morning. Therefore the very earliest I’ll get it now is the first week of December (maybe later). So my question is, will the batteries be ok after 8 or 9 weeks without any charging whatsoever?

My California left the factory just over 2 weeks ago and is now at Sheerness awaiting transport to the dealership. It’s extremely unlikely I’ll now take delivery before the lockdown starts on Thursday morning. Therefore the very earliest I’ll get it now is the first week of December (maybe later). So my question is, will the batteries be ok after 8 or 9 weeks without any charging whatsoever?
If they are disconnected they should be ok. If they are very flat, below around 10.5V they die permanently. When you first charge them you will quickly be able to see if they hold their charge. VW are reluctant to change batteries under warranty, and their battery test cannot be relied upon.

If they are disconnected they should be ok. If they are very flat, below around 10.5V they die permanently. When you first charge them you will quickly be able to see if they hold their charge. VW are reluctant to change batteries under warranty, and their battery test cannot be relied upon.
Anybody know whether the leisure batteries are disconnected until reaching the dealership? I assume the stater battery will always be connected.

Give the dealer a call and ask him if they would be so kind to put the van on hookup about 4 weeks after arriving.

One would have thought that VW would supply the vehicles to the dealer with the leisure battery disconnected. Then the dealer would connect & charge them as part of the pre delivery and inspection process.

No idea whether they disconnect them our not. What I can say is that our van was made late December 2019 and not collected until mid-July 2020. Leisure batteries have been absolutely fine. I charge them once a month for 24 hours via the cable from the house.

Don't do what I did and overthink everything!

One would have thought that VW would supply the vehicles to the dealer with the leisure battery disconnected. Then the dealer would connect & charge them as part of the pre delivery and inspection process.
There is no PDI on the Camping side of things. The Leisure Batteries are all connected. If fully charged they should last 2 or 3 months no problem.

There is no PDI on the Camping side of things. The Leisure Batteries are all connected. If fully charged they should last 2 or 3 months no problem.
Reassuring, thanks WG and all. It’s just that I’m sure I’d read somewhere on here about a member having a real hassle with flat batteries on collection of his/her van. I’ll stop fretting now :)

No pre-delivery inspection on a vehicle costing up to £70,000! That has to be poor (understatement) customer service - come on VW you can do better than that!

When we to test drove ours, 9months old, it been sat for 3 months after return from internal lease. The display said 0% charge and about 11v, perhaps the controller had been left on but I feared the batteries would be permanently damaged. The % remaining doesn't seem the most accurate measure of battery conditions, I tend to go from voltage.
Anyway the dealer charged then and they did seem to be losing charge quickly on our first trip away despite hours of driving between stops but kept records incase of a claim.
I plugged into the hook up regularly early on and they seemed to be revived. Now I have solar installed which keeps them in great condition from March till around now when here in the north of Scotland solar gain is low not to mention the lack of sun.

No pre-delivery inspection on a vehicle costing up to £70,000! That has to be poor (understatement) customer service - come on VW you can do better than that!
It’s the same on the Marco Polo. The vehicle has a PDI the Habitation equipment go whistle.

Yes it’s very poor isn’t it! I’d expect a complete check, a bottle of Champagne and a bouquet of flowers for the money were all parting with. I’ve been told I’ll just be handed the keys due to Covid.

I’ve developed my own Excel spreadsheet checklist. Won’t be able to go through all of it on collection day I.e. water and gas, but most of it.

Yes it’s very poor isn’t it! I’d expect a complete check, a bottle of Champagne and a bouquet of flowers for the money were all parting with. I’ve been told I’ll just be handed the keys due to Covid.

I’ve developed my own Excel spreadsheet checklist. Won’t be able to go through all of it on collection day I.e. water and gas, but most of it.
Not uncommonly, when plugged into EHU the Mains socket on the Kitchen unit is Live, but the Mains Charger for the Leisure Batteries doesn’t work and there is No Mains icon on the Control Panel.
If that is the case the Kitchen Kettle type IECC mains plug into the Mains Charger has not been fully engaged. The Mains Charger is located above the rear Leisure Battery accessed via the cover at the base of the rear wardrobe via the boot.
The plug is on the L or tailgate side of the Charger.

Would be great to see your checklist

Not uncommonly, when plugged into EHU the Mains socket on the Kitchen unit is Live, but the Mains Charger for the Leisure Batteries doesn’t work and there is No Mains icon on the Control Panel.
If that is the case the Kitchen Kettle type IECC mains plug into the Mains Charger has not been fully engaged. The Mains Charger is located above the rear Leisure Battery accessed via the cover at the base of the rear wardrobe via the boot.
The plug is on the L or tailgate side of the Charger.
Something to check. Thanks.

There is a checklist in the downloads section...
Thanks. My search function seems to just say “OOOPS...” etc when I try and search. A link would be very welcome. Thank you.

Thanks. My search function seems to just say “OOOPS...” etc when I try and search. A link would be very welcome. Thank you.
Indeed. You need to scroll down the menu to the “Resources” section. You can download it there. Hope that helps.

Don’t be such a misery, you might be surprised when you get to the dealership it might be covered so you get a “surprise“ when the cover comes off:oops::)

I picked a spanking Merc once, the rep was all there prepared car covered, bunch of flowers for the Mrs who couldn’t be arsed coming. I nipped in “give me the keys open the door I’ve got a dental appointment to get to “:D

Hi

Sorry to jump in on this thread. This may be a silly question but I am new to owning a Cali (2012 version) and a came with a manual in German which was probably left outside in the rain so I can't read it and understand how you charge the batteries when not driving. I have just checked the indicator and the battery indicator states 30%. Do I just plug in a cable to the outside side of the van into the mains at home to recharge the battery or do you have to do something else?

Many thanks

Hi

Sorry to jump in on this thread. This may be a silly question but I am new to owning a Cali (2012 version) and a came with a manual in German which was probably left outside in the rain so I can't read it and understand how you charge the batteries when not driving. I have just checked the indicator and the battery indicator states 30%. Do I just plug in a cable to the outside side of the van into the mains at home to recharge the battery or do you have to do something else?

Many thanks
Yes, charge up at home. Recommended to do for 24hrs once a month to keep batteries in good condition. Check voltage rather than percentage. Yours may be old and need replacing.

Hi

Many thanks
Yes as @AlisonF says use your EHU cable and plug into the house supply you will need a connector to connect your blue plug EHU cable to a three pin plug. The van has a built in battery charger situated under the fridge ( or may be above the rear battery in the bottom of the wardrobe for later models) Dont forget you need to set the circuit breaker in the rear cupboard to the live (red) position then check on the camper control unit that the plug symbol is showing center top of the screen

Hi Alison and Beechke1

Many thanks for your prompt responses. I have the cables so will connect up and charge the battery as recommended. Thanks, looking forward to using the van post lockdown...
Adrian

Excel and Pages versions available if anybody wants them.