Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

connecting solar panels

A

andrew bazeley

VIP Member
My many weeks spent at no-hookup 4-day summer festivals find me feeling very guilty about not using solar panels while I'm standing still. They sound great, but I'm mighty confused about how you actually connect them up to the leisure batteries. Can you connect to any of the 12v sockets, or do you have to rig up a connection to the battery under the passenger seat? It really should be simple, if it is to be encouraged.

My many weeks spent at no-hookup 4-day summer festivals find me feeling very guilty about not using solar panels while I'm standing still. They sound great, but I'm mighty confused about how you actually connect them up to the leisure batteries. Can you connect to any of the 12v sockets, or do you have to rig up a connection to the battery under the passenger seat? It really should be simple, if it is to be encouraged.
You will need a charge regulator of some sort between the panels and the battery. We have ours connected directly to the battery under the passenger seat, but you could plug the regulator into a 12v socket.

solar-system-basics-diagram.png

Speak to Martin at Travelvolts he is an acknowledged expert in leisure electrics on VW T5 & T6s.

Back