Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control panel knob rip off.

Ozzy Pete

Ozzy Pete

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
It’s probably been said many many times but why can’t somebody come up
With a reasonably priced control panel knob.
I like many people Have suffered from the , If you forgive the words....Broken knob.
Just fixed mine today and took me about an hour start to finish.
But when you actually see the part that’s failed it makes your blood boil that VW or someone else can’t come up with something reasonably priced. 99% of the time you don’t need a new facia panel, I didn’t.
The knob Would probably cost only a few pence to produce so come on someone out there with a 3D printer, you will make a fortune......

There used to be one but 3D printed knob was worse and didn’t look good

£40.00 in club shop less dicount i assume
£40 or £45 it’s still a VW ripoff when all you need is the knob and not the whole facia panel unless the person that is taking it apart is so heavy handed they brake it. So I have one brand new facia panel for sale £25....LOL..

I know I’ve seen a self tapping screw used to fix this
might try this screw if my knob ever gives up …..

Regardless this all pails into insignificance when you see the price of a complete NEW UNIT in the California club shop at £999. The joys of VW California ownership...

You just have to find yourself a random knob with the same inner diameter, toothed (?).
And the outer diameter can be whatever it will be, but has to be equal ar smaller than the original knob.

I used to use a knob from a Parrot CK3100. Fits perfectly over the turning switch, but is a lot smaller in height and diameter. But it worked fine!

IMG_20180702_120317.jpg

Maplin's used to be good for this type of thing. But now no longer around.

Try somewhere like RS components or Farrells online.

If the right materials are used, a 3D-printed version should be possible at hardly any cost.
There's a plan fot it here.
e5a8b2121e313918095d490562289a74_display_large.jpg

@capt kirk cool! my control panel is just fine for now, but you could possible make @Ozzy Pete and others in the future quite happy.

I printed that knob and keep it in my spares box for when needed

It's a bit rough and ready but my 3d printer is a bit cheap. Maybe ted prints can knock up some better quality finish ones?

I’m just hoping it doesn’t happen again. I can’t see it will as this time we will be treating it like it’s made from thin plastic. Oh wait a minute it is made from super thin (not very strong) plastic...
Like many easily breakable parts fitted to the California why would VW even contemplate making them “unbreakable”? Where is the sense in that? .
No profit either.

I’m just hoping it doesn’t happen again. I can’t see it will as this time we will be treating it like it’s made from thin plastic. Oh wait a minute it is made from super thin (not very strong) plastic...
Like many easily breakable parts fitted to the California why would VW even contemplate making them “unbreakable”? Where is the sense in that? .
No profit either.
........ and how many years have they fitted control panels with these pathetic plastic control knobs without addressing the known weakness ?
I wonder how to control knob on the T6.1 is going to fare ?

........ and how many years have they fitted control panels with these pathetic plastic control knobs without addressing the known weakness ?
I wonder how to control knob on the T6.1 is going to fare ?
VW don't make the Control Panel they just fit it. If it failed under Warranty then they just exchange the whole unit and the 3rd party that make it for VW bear the cost.

VW don't make the Control Panel they just fit it. If it failed under Warranty then they just exchange the whole unit and the 3rd party that make it for VW bear the cost.
I don't see see that it makes a lot of difference to us as Cali owners who makes the control unit. We are being supplied with something that is not fit for purpose, and is almost guaranteed to fail, and could be easily, and cheaply be modified not to fail. At the end of the day it is us that pays for the cost of this poor design in cost of buying and maintaining our Cali.

I don't see see that it makes a lot of difference to us as Cali owners who makes the control unit. We are being supplied with something that is not fit for purpose, and is almost guaranteed to fail, and could be easily, and cheaply be modified not to fail. At the end of the day it is us that pays for the cost of this poor design in cost of buying and maintaining our Cali.
How often do you change your phone, computer or TV? Just saying.

Th
Thats not an answer, that’s a cop out. It was just like the Awning failures, VW knew very well what was going to last and what was going to fail. Regardless wether they make the item, which most are made by outside contractors on cheapest price. If VW cared about their customers they would look beyond the warranty period and tell their contractors their product was just not good enough, but why do that when it means they will not make more huge profits of of customers backs. We know that VW are not honest with their customers so why change now?

How often do you change your phone, computer or TV? Just saying.
The last time l had a television breakdown was with a British built Murphy, in the 1970s, but l have had our control panel fail on our Cali relatively recently, and it was very inconvenient too!
We were in a very remote spot, wild camping high up in the West Highlands. VW recovery said, due to your location all they can say is, we will get to you sometime today. They were coming from Glasgow,.So it was out out with the manual, drain down the hydraulic oil, fix on the lash down kit and drive to Inverness, on the other side of Scotland to get there by 3 pm, so that they could order the parts for the next day. Three days of our holiday lost !
Dating back to Bakelite knobs, they always put in a brass insert, or metal d-ring to negate the knob failing. Wise up VW.