Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control Panel - Intermittent Failure

R

RichardDouglas

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all, just had my new 'to me' 2006 California SE delivered and am having some issues with the Control Panel working intermittently.

For example...
- Went out this morning and started vehicle... vehicle not connected to hook up but been on charge for 48hrs... control panel came on without any issues... but needed time and date resetting
- Turned off ignition... control panel stayed on... could access all screens and diagnostic screen... no errors showing on diagnostic screen and plenty of power in leisure batteries (both brand new and been on hook up for 48hrs)
- pressed lower left button and screen goes off... waited 30 secs or so and pushed lower left button again... nothing happened, screen stayed off... checked fuses under seat, checked fuses under drinks holder, lower left button has red light on so control unit must have power.

- turned vehicle off, went inside to grab some lunch, came back out... went through same routine and control panel came on again... but once again had to reset time & date.
- pressed lower left button again and screen went off again.

- turned vehicle off, went back inside... came out later on... started vehicle... control panel doesn't start up.

I've been trawling through the forum and seen all sorts of responses, with one saying something about a relay under the seat being the issue.

Forgive me for asking, what's probably been asked many a time, but I just can't find a solution in the threads and was wondering if anyone had had the same issue and fixed it or whether I'm going to have to send the control unit off to be reconditioned ( I've seen the postings about the vendor in Holland).

Happy to buy a reconditioned on off someone on here if they have one.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have... its all new to me and I'm hoping to get it figured out before lockdown is relaxed.

Richard

2006 T5 California Comfortline SE, 2.5 Tiptronic

tempImageik7LV1.png

Last edited:
Hi all, just had my new 'to me' 2006 California SE delivered and am having some issues with the Control Panel working intermittently. Ive posted this in the T5/6 Power Control Sub Forum as well.

For example...
- Went out this morning and started vehicle... vehicle not connected to hook up but been on charge for 48hrs... control panel came on without any issues... but needed time and date resetting
- Turned off ignition... control panel stayed on... could access all screens and diagnostic screen... no errors showing on diagnostic screen and plenty of power in leisure batteries (both brand new and been on hook up for 48hrs)
- pressed lower left button and screen goes off... waited 30 secs or so and pushed lower left button again... nothing happened, screen stayed off... checked fuses under seat, checked fuses under drinks holder, lower left button has red light on so control unit must have power.

- turned vehicle off, went inside to grab some lunch, came back out... went through same routine and control panel came on again... but once again had to reset time & date.
- pressed lower left button again and screen went off again.

- turned vehicle off, went back inside... came out later on... started vehicle... control panel doesn't start up.

I've been trawling through the forum and seen all sorts of responses, with one saying something about a relay under the seat being the issue.

Forgive me for asking, what's probably been asked many a time, but I just can't find a solution in the threads and was wondering if anyone had had the same issue and fixed it or whether I'm going to have to send the control unit off to be reconditioned ( I've seen the postings about the vendor in Holland).

Happy to buy a reconditioned on off someone on here if they have one.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have... its all new to me and I'm hoping to get it figured out before lockdown is relaxed.

Richard

2006 T5 California Comfortline SE, 2.5 Tiptronic

There are more than one fuse for that panel. 3 I reckon. So maybe the power supply fuse is ok but the power to the memory bit is down through a different blown fuse. There are some diagrams by loz of the fuse locations. I think 1 under the seat and 2 behind the bottle holder? Brown 5 A. Other than that i would take the panel out using the emergency roof lowering procedure and check all the plugs are in tight at the back.

Back