Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control panel/voltage plausibility fault update

Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Problem fixed by the amazing member on this forum, Loz.
2008 SE California.
Everything in the vehicle worked as it should on a trip 2 weeks ago to North Wales. On returning and just before switching off the engine a message “voltage plausibility fault“ appeared on the control panel. I’ve not seen this before and at the time had no idea about how it would affect the van‘s functionality.
Basically, everything that operates via the control panel, fridge, auxiliary heater, roof, time/date, interior lights wouldon’t function without the engine running.
Once the engine was switched off the panel also switched off and nothing would not operate.
Originally when Loz looked at it he thought the problem was a faulty fuse holder but on further inspection he diagnosed the earth shunt to be the problem.
We accessed the shunt which is underneath the fridge (we used a hole saw) and found it needed tightening.
What Loz did do is replace the bolt with a longer, sturdier one and also added another earth using a point in the wardrobe.
All sorted and now working perfectly and as it should.
I know that the earth shunt problem is an issue that has been resolved in later models but for members who have vehicles between 2006-2008 and perhaps 2009 and experience similar electrical problems then this is certainly an area to look at.
Trying to use the Cali without a fridge and without cabin lights made for a testing weekend.
Another huge thanks to Loz for his patience, knowledge and kindness.

Problem fixed by the amazing member on this forum, Loz.
2008 SE California.
Everything in the vehicle worked as it should on a trip 2 weeks ago to North Wales. On returning and just before switching off the engine a message “voltage plausibility fault“ appeared on the control panel. I’ve not seen this before and at the time had no idea about how it would affect the van‘s functionality.
Basically, everything that operates via the control panel, fridge, auxiliary heater, roof, time/date, interior lights wouldon’t function without the engine running.
Once the engine was switched off the panel also switched off and nothing would not operate.
Originally when Loz looked at it he thought the problem was a faulty fuse holder but on further inspection he diagnosed the earth shunt to be the problem.
We accessed the shunt which is underneath the fridge (we used a hole saw) and found it needed tightening.
What Loz did do is replace the bolt with a longer, sturdier one and also added another earth using a point in the wardrobe.
All sorted and now working perfectly and as it should.
I know that the earth shunt problem is an issue that has been resolved in later models but for members who have vehicles between 2006-2008 and perhaps 2009 and experience similar electrical problems then this is certainly an area to look at.
Trying to use the Cali without a fridge and without cabin lights made for a testing weekend.
Another huge thanks to Loz for his patience, knowledge and kindness.
Oh cripes, I'm going to a festival this weekend with no fridge working, the warm wine is going to be very testing :eek:

I'm glad it's sorted for you :)

Oh cripes, I'm going to a festival this weekend with no fridge working, the warm wine is going to be very testing :eek:

I'm glad it's sorted for you :)
Fill it up with freezer blocks?

Freeze bottles of water at home and put those in the fridge against the back wall. They will stay frozen for a long time and after melting provide you with nice cold drinking water.

Back