Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2019 Ocean - Voltage plausibility fault?

BenCar

BenCar

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
(Apologies if this lies somewhere in this forum but I cant find it with google search).

I have a 2019 Ocean I bought a month ago. It was used for most of its life as an occasional van and was never 'charged' apart from when it did some van work. I've been replacing various bits and I'm wondering about the leisure batteries.

When raising or lowering the roof:
  1. the process stops
  2. I get 'voltage plausibility fault' on the display
  3. the control panel switches off
  4. I can then carry on when it restarts
Firstly Is this a real problem I can't ignore?
Is this likely to be dead leisure batteries, or I can see discussions about an 'earth shunt' that seemingly was a feature of pre-2010 vans (but I have a 2019).
Any ideas?

Thx
Ben

As far as I remember the T6 measures battery voltage at the earth shunt. I think a voltage plausibly fault is usually a result of the earth shunt resistance being an exceedingly high value.

You might want to review the earth shunt repair guide in resources for some troubleshooting. A good first step is to look at the voltage of each battery, compare it to the control panel and look if the amps on the control panel are realistic.

As far as I remember the T6 measures battery voltage at the earth shunt. I think a voltage plausibly fault is usually a result of the earth shunt resistance being an exceedingly high value.

You might want to review the earth shunt repair guide in resources for some troubleshooting. A good first step is to look at the voltage of each battery, compare it to the control panel and look if the amps on the control panel are realistic.
I've ordered the earth shunt kit and downloaded the guides. I plan to get under the fridge and see if there is anything lose or needs sorting. However, I've just re-searched the forum and there is a post from someone saying the T6 Ocean earth shunt isn't under the fridge. Do you know where it is before I take the van apart?
Thx for ur help.
B

(Apologies if this lies somewhere in this forum but I cant find it with google search).

I have a 2019 Ocean I bought a month ago. It was used for most of its life as an occasional van and was never 'charged' apart from when it did some van work. I've been replacing various bits and I'm wondering about the leisure batteries.

When raising or lowering the roof:
  1. the process stops
  2. I get 'voltage plausibility fault' on the display
  3. the control panel switches off
  4. I can then carry on when it restarts
Firstly Is this a real problem I can't ignore?
Is this likely to be dead leisure batteries, or I can see discussions about an 'earth shunt' that seemingly was a feature of pre-2010 vans (but I have a 2019).
Any ideas?

Thx
Ben
When do you get the Voltage Plausibility fault. Normally it happens within 10-20 secs of the control panel being switched on and is very hard to do anything without it interrupting.

I would be very surprised if the Earth Stud issue was on the T6.

When do you get the Voltage Plausibility fault. Normally it happens within 10-20 secs of the control panel being switched on and is very hard to do anything without it interrupting.

I would be very surprised if the Earth Stud issue was on the T6.
I get the fault when raising the roof. Within a couple of seconds of pressing the button to raise, it displays 'voltage plausibility fault' then the control panel shuts down and I have to restart the control panel. Usually this will happen 3 times each time I raise the roof. Thats the only scenario when the issue occurs.
Any ideas very gratefully received.
b

I get the fault when raising the roof. Within a couple of seconds of pressing the button to raise, it displays 'voltage plausibility fault' then the control panel shuts down and I have to restart the control panel. Usually this will happen 3 times each time I raise the roof. Thats the only scenario when the issue occurs.
b
I would suggest it might be your leisure batteries, does it happen with the engine running and operating the roof ?

The control panel resetting & plausibility fault is probably the camper side voltage collapsing under the load of the pump.

If you have a multi-meter and a friend, you could measure the rear battery voltage when operating the roof and see if it dips when operating.

b
When raising the roof you obviously have ignition On, do you have the engine running?

I suggest, to check the shunt theory, study the current indicated on the control panel whilst operating various loads, eg fridge and roof. If it's the shunt you should see a large overeading.

I suggest, to check the shunt theory, study the current indicated on the control panel whilst operating various loads, eg fridge and roof. If it's the shunt you should see a large overeading.
The control panel resetting makes me think undervoltage, but just my thoughts.

both has the same result.
As @yossarian suggests, try fridge on max and heater on max and see if the voltage fault flags without roof operating. I still think voltage of battery would be a sensible next step when operating roof.

Back