Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control panel

L

lewisnoble

VIP Member
Hello!

I have a 2008 California, all well with it. But I see from here that control panels (above the windscreen) can be problematic, and that recon units are available from somewhere.

Earlier this month, my brother was in his campervan (Ford Transit) at a site near Swanage, and a 2008 174 Cali was parked near him. They got talking, and my brother mentioned some of the jobs he has helped me do on my van (e.g. renewed cooker shutdown sensor). The guy in the Cali said that his control panel had failed, and that he had purchased a repair kit from a German website, fixed it easily himself.

Is that Cali owner a member here?? If so, can you direct me to that website?? Or does anyone else know about this??

I am reluctant to purchase a complete new or recon unit, but we are doing a long trip in the summer and a repair kit might be a good idea.

Lewis

I know there is a German site where you can get replacement buttons that are not available from VW so it may be that that he was talking about as don't believe anyone is selling repair kits for these other than the button.

cheers

Hello Alex, yes, you are right, the kit was replacement buttons.

Regards

lewis

Lewis:

I was talking to your brother - a very nice chap (and we had a fantastic weekend in Dorset).

I got a replacement button from a very friendly German chap called Andreas on ande.ernst@+++++.com. He has sent lots of buttons to UK Cali owners and has probably saved us thousands of pounds... There are also some instructions he has done on how to replace it (they are in German, but with pictures) which are on this site somewhere (I've printed them off, so if you can't find them, I can scan and send what I have - let me know). I haven't actually changed the button yet as mine seems to be generally ok, but I have bought the spare part as a precaution.

I also found a complete control panel for sale on eBay recently, so worth keeping a look out.

Let me know how you get on and if you want me to scan and send the instructions.

Steve

We do have the control panel knobs coming in stock soon, we hope to have them by next week.

There seem to be 2 common problems with the panel.
1. Broken knobs. (covered here)
2. Faded or failed display.

This thread on the French site:
http://www.t5calif.info/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
mentions that Socodep repairs the display (for 250€...).
See 3rd post 5 Feb 2014.

Also, contributor Denis 44 seems to have a stock of spare displays & harnesses for sale.
See post 13 Feb 2014.

I don't garantee any of this info!

It certainly would be good to have a reliable source of cheap(er) repairs.

Just bought a new knob from this site £22-99 including postage,, arrived in2days,just fitted it now and am really happy with the money i have saved, if anyone in the ripon/harrogate area needs help fitting one ,i am happy to help

Back