Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Convert Ocean / SE cooker to those £1 gas canisters

Calor sell a 1 piece regulator/tap for Campingaz 907/904/901.
Combined with the above quick release it is much easier and safer to change/check bottles.

Calor sell a 1 piece regulator/tap for Campingaz 907/904/901.
Combined with the above quick release it is much easier and safer to change/check bottles.
Can you describe how the quick release works ? I’m intrigued.

Its an inline bayonet connector, the end connected on the gas bottle side has a valve that shuts off the flow if the other half isn't plugged in. just pull back the sleeve to disconnect the two halves. quick-release-connector-1-600x600.jpg by having the same fitting on your BBQ for example means you can swap bottles easily.

Pictures and How To:

As it comes in two different halves very important then to get them the right way round i.e. the end with the automatic shut off valve nearest the gas cylinder.

As per the title. I've wondered about this a few times, may even have asked, but never got a definitive answer if its possible or the exact parts to do it?
Why do it?
- easy availability of the canisters in every £1 shop
- cheaper gas (I've not done the calcs, but compared to having to pay top dollar to replace your 907 in remote area, it must be).. Edit, I did the maths... A 907 is equiv of 12.1 cannisters so the equivalent cost is £12.10....which beats every 907 price I've seen)
- you know where you are. You've got one attached, and X in the cupboard, rather than some sketchy idea of guessing the bottle weight
- if you did have a leak, the volume wouldn't be so great vs a bottle
- depending where you made the connection, disconnection (say under the sink) would be more convenient to the 907 procedure, and may be more rigorously applied.

Why not?
- environmental impact of many cannisters vs a reusable bottle (but they can be recycled?)
- more frequent change overs. (not a problem for me, as not a heavy user).
Many folk talk of a 907 lasting a year, so a cannister would last a month (ish).

This latest thinking about this was prompted by another thread where a member is struggling to find 907s in stock and has seen a price of £50+vat or EUR 15 in France.
Its a good thread man :thumb
even though it may not be for me and some would say its a stupid idea:) its good
to know if its possible and threads like these make the forum better reading.

Jesus Wept...
£60k+ California and someone is trying to save a couple of quid...???

Many in the yachting community do their own refills (where 907’s are used to save cabin space). The cost of their hobby makes owning and running a Cali look like small change. However, they still don’t want to be ripped off on gas!

Campingaz 907s are easy to find in the U.K. and France but In my experience they are difficult to find in Portugal, and I couldn’t find any in Spain. I understand from watching some YouTube van travellers they are also very elusive in Scandinavia and Eastern European countries. A back up or alternative system may be useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last time we went to Spain we changed ours there was still a tiny amount of gas in the cylinder. The new one was about 18 euros. But im sure they are even cheaper in the French supermarkets... That was the first exchange in 3 years.. We normally use the replacement carts and the £10 stoves and cook outside. 6 of these last us 3 weeks. When its raining its the electric camping kettle (on a site with hookup of coarse)....