Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooker Worktop Imploded

Tetley2

Tetley2

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I stepped inside my van at midday today and was shocked to find the glass worktop over the cooker had imploded spraying glass all over the hob and living area.
The glass has never been mistreated or put down whilst the burners were hot and it was not cracked either.
Yes, the van was warm inside but it's been a lot warmer and I had the blinds down to keep the worst of the sun out. Don't know if it was due to heat build up but can't see any other reason why it should suddenly go.
Lucky it did not happen whilst we were inside!
It's out of warranty, but I rang VW customer services anyway due to the nature of the problem (safety) who redirected me to a dealer.
So, just be aware.

I stepped inside my van at midday today and was shocked to find the glass worktop over the cooker had imploded spraying glass all over the hob and living area.
The glass has never been mistreated or put down whilst the burners were hot and it was not cracked either.
Yes, the van was warm inside but it's been a lot warmer and I had the blinds down to keep the worst of the sun out. Don't know if it was due to heat build up but can't see any other reason why it should suddenly go.
Lucky it did not happen whilst we were inside!
It's out of warranty, but I rang VW customer services anyway due to the nature of the problem (safety) who redirected me to a dealer.
So, just be aware.
Sorry to hear this. Has been mentioned before. That's why those vinyl covers, either coloured or frosted are useful. Keeps the glass fragments together.

Our worktop protectors are not intended for this purpose but would save lots of mess if fitted.

Andrew.

I wonder if the glass has been subjected to some minor impact in the past thereby creating a weak spot? Whilst I do not recall any particular incident, I cannot rule out the possibilty of something slipping through my fingers, maybe a ceramic mug or bottle for example. So, maybe the temperature alone was not the cause. I'll never know.

I wonder if the glass has been subjected to some minor impact in the past thereby creating a weak spot? Whilst I do not recall any particular incident, I cannot rule out the possibilty of something slipping through my fingers, maybe a ceramic mug or bottle for example. So, maybe the temperature alone was not the cause. I'll never know.
More likely caused by differential expansion where part was in Sun and part in Shade.

More likely caused by differential expansion where part was in Sun and part in Shade.
Should be helped by the split top from MY18!

I used to work for a very exclusive orangery company and know of such things happening. There is a minor imperfection in the glass, cant be seen cant be screened out in manufacture. It causes tension and at any time can just pop. I think it was just with tempered glass which this would be.

So dont beat yourself up. Whatever you did or did not do probably had nothing to do with the glass shattering.. Yes those protectors would save the "explosion" of pieces and keep it all together but nothing can prevent it. Luckily its reasonably rare.

I had a sunroof implode on a brand new Volvo whilst driving on the motorway in Belgium. Made a hell of a bang. Fortunately the blind below it was closed or the car would have filled with glass. Volvo attempted to deny any responsibility at first but came around when I got bolshy. Good job as they had to strip all of the roof lining to get all the bits of glass out - it took days!

Has anyone fitted the stainless steel worktop covers from the Club Shop ?

Yes. The stainless steel covers are easily fitted and easy to clean. You still have to remember there is glass beneath but more confident placing heavier items on top. IMHO well worth the money.

I had the fridge work top explode over me whilst I lay in bed beside it a couple of years ago. It was 6am and not a hot day. Afraid there are a few if us on here. No joy on claiming on the warranty. It is still a rare problem fortunately.

I used to work for a very exclusive orangery company and know of such things happening. There is a minor imperfection in the glass, cant be seen cant be screened out in manufacture. It causes tension and at any time can just pop. I think it was just with tempered glass which this would be.

So dont beat yourself up. Whatever you did or did not do probably had nothing to do with the glass shattering.. Yes those protectors would save the "explosion" of pieces and keep it all together but nothing can prevent it. Luckily its reasonably rare.
We had it happen to a shower screen door at 3am it nearly gave me a heart attack.

We had it happen to a shower screen door at 3am it nearly gave me a heart attack.
It happened to my lovely coffee table shortly before 00:20 on 4 March 2009.

P3044291.JPG
Caused by imperfections in the glass, usually nickle sulphide. It should be covered by warranty.