Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Glass worktops deep scratches/cracks

Trebor

Trebor

No looking back .
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi just noticed that my fridge and cooker glass tops have deep scratches / cracks . We have been away all summer sailing in Western France but did have the window above the worktop smashed in France last Feb . I suppose the scratches/ cracks must have been caused by the toughened glass which shattered all over the worktops . What I can't understand is why the worktops haven't shattered as they are toughened as well I think . Think I need some stainless steel worktop covers from Club Shop before they shatter . Do they stick down over the whole area ( to stop the glass tops shattering ) or just strips ? Any advice much appreciated .

IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0491.JPG IMG_0497.JPG IMG_0497.JPG

058EB77D-3130-4DEE-8A98-62AD11A6B194.jpeg 706A531F-6F9D-48A0-ADF3-E648A3CF6DD5.jpeg E4857D9E-BAEE-4A52-8C38-92A2D5C0E911.jpeg They cover the whole worktop and secure in place with 3m tape so can be removed if needed

Calikev Is the adhesive over the whole surface or just in strips ?

It’s around the edge but it is put on by ourselves after manufacture so can be altered if need be

Hi Trebor

I can't answer your question as I have used clear glass safety film on my worktops. You would still see the scratches, but the safety film is designed to hold the glass somewhat together if it does smash. Never seen the film in action- touch wood- so don't know how good it actually is. It was quite fiddly to cut to size etc

Just a thought? Did you have the side windows repaired as part of an insurance claim? If so it might be worth contacting your insurance company and explain how the glass worktops were damaged in the same incident and ask for it to be processed as part of the same claim to see if they will pay for replacements?

Ian

Ian . Thanks for that . I'll contact insurance . Not holding my breath though ( claim was £1500 for 2 windows ) .

Ian . Well Comfort Insurance (Aviva) came up trumps ! Just received payment to get my new glass worktops fitted by Vw . This was following the window over galley being smashed and passenger side in Feb this year . Very good service . Thank you .
Hi Trebor

I can't answer your question as I have used clear glass safety film on my worktops. You would still see the scratches, but the safety film is designed to hold the glass somewhat together if it does smash. Never seen the film in action- touch wood- so don't know how good it actually is. It was quite fiddly to cut to size etc

Just a thought? Did you have the side windows repaired as part of an insurance claim? If so it might be worth contacting your insurance company and explain how the glass worktops were damaged in the same incident and ask for it to be processed as part of the same claim to see if they will pay for replacements?

Ian
Hi Trebor

Ian

Ian . Thanks for that . I'll contact insurance . Not holding my breath though ( claim was £1500 .

Ian . Well Comfort Insurance (Aviva) came up trumps ! Just received payment to get my new glass worktops fitted by Vw . This was following the window over galley being smashed and passenger side in Feb this year . Very good service . Thank you .

Back