Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coolant low level alarm. Oil in cooling circuit - OIL COOLER

Andresz

Andresz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 HighTop
Hello
I got the alarm saying "STOP and check the coolant level".
The level is at maximum, no leakage spotted.
Could it be anything else than false alarm of a broken sensor, or dirty sensor?.
(I did not run the van being afraid of potential overheating.)
Thanks
Andrzej

Re: Coolant low level alarm

Ok, spoken to some smart Polish repairman and now I know what it is. Nothing good though. The coolant is black, which means there is engine oil leakage onto the cooland circuit. Remains to be seen where the leakage is, and there is a big cleaning of the cooling circuit involved...

Sounds really bad andresz I hope it gets sorted without huge cost
And inconvienience

Calikev said:
Sounds really bad andresz I hope it gets sorted without huge cost
And inconvienience

Thanks for the wishes Calikev, but I am afraid it will be both costly and inconvenient.
Probably the only thing which I can do now, is to put it on a lorry and send it to Poland (I am based in France) to reduce the costs and have it correctly done, or sell it as it is, making the buyer aware.
I will think about it.

Bad news :(

Hope you get it sorted. It's a hard decision sometimes when they go expensively wrong, ours has been trying our patience in the last few months. But I just looked at how much enjoyment she brings us and figured the repairs were worth it.

Mechanical healing vibes heading your way.
dan

Hi Andresz,

Sorry to hear about your van - I really liked the look of it and if they had come in a right hand drive I would have liked one.
I am not a mechanic but I seem to remember when an old Daimler 250 V8 that I owned had similar symptoms, it proved to be the cylinder head that had gone. I had it repaired then lost my confidence in it and sold it on. Hope you are able to find a modestly priced repair and that you are able to keep it - you know how much a replacement will cost (ouch).
All the best my friend.

Bob

brother10 said:
Hi Andresz,

Sorry to hear about your van - I really liked the look of it and if they had come in a right hand drive I would have liked one.
I am not a mechanic but I seem to remember when an old Daimler 250 V8 that I owned had similar symptoms, it proved to be the cylinder head that had gone. I had it repaired then lost my confidence in it and sold it on. Hope you are able to find a modestly priced repair and that you are able to keep it - you know how much a replacement will cost (ouch).
All the best my friend.

Bob

sing $hit happenz :cry:

Thank you for your support Robert

Thank you for the support.
She's due to the lorry truck trip to Poland on Friday....
I will post once the thing is done.

Here we are. Taking off to Poland this afternoon. :censor

Sitting comfortably on the upper deck in Business Class.

image.php

You were always a cool dude Andresz, but no pinching the bottom of the stewardess on her way through the cabin. I assume they will have fine Polish vodka on board?

Good luck to you and the van.

Bob

Just remind the driver that you have a high top when he is going under low bridges. Otherwise you might have a quick conversion and be seeking a pop top.

Have Fun

The other Bob

brother10 said:
You were always a cool dude Andresz, but no pinching the bottom of the stewardess on her way through the cabin. I assume they will have fine Polish vodka on board?

Good luck to you and the van.

Bob

Robert, do not agitate my imagination with those stewardesses too much, it goes straight to very dangerous thinking. I quess, I will stay with vodka for safety and security.

Thank you for the support
Cheers
Andrzej

HistoryBob said:
Just remind the driver that you have a high top when he is going under low bridges. Otherwise you might have a quick conversion and be seeking a pop top.

Have Fun

The other Bob

The other Robert ;)
This is a serious issue with the height. I myself keep the fingers crossed and putting my faith into professionalism and experience of the driver.
As for the pop-up, you are not going to persuade me, you jealous chap !

All the best
Andrzej

Hello Andrzej,
I have just seen this post rather belatedly and, by now, you probably know the problem.
I had the same problem earlier this year and the fault was a failed oil cooler. This is apparently a known but not common fault on pre-facelift Cali's. The coolant system will have to be flushed several times to remove all traces of oil contamination.
Regards,
Wojtek

Sounds like a split oil cooler that has allowed the oil and coolant to mix. Needs lots of flushing once repaired.

cheers and good luck

Thank you guys for the suggestion with the oil cooler. This is actually exactly the same conclusion I came into, reading lots of T5 repair forums the day before yesterday. I passed this guess to the repairman in Poland, and he will follow it up. He is aware about the need for generous flushing of the cooling system. I also suggested him to replace all the rubber elements which could potentially suffer, as a result of contact with oil. They are still working on it... Thank you SMG and Wojtek for looking into it.

Re: Coolant low level alarm. Oil in cooling circuit - OIL CO

The job is completed. I picked up the van in Poland 3 days ago after oil cooler replacement. Made 1000km, no more sign of oil in the coolant :cool:

Cost:
Lorry truck to Poland 500 Euros.
Parts: pipes, oil cooler, new coolant, new engine oil: 500 Euros.
Labour: 200 Euros :D , involving the parts replacement and extensive flushing of the coolant circuit... Several days of work. I guess this is where I made savings...

All rubber elements had to be replaced and all other cooling circuit elements (like radiator, pipes, cabin heater) had to be removed and cleaned. Huge amount of labour involved.

Apparently this is a frequent failure in pre 2008 VW T5, therefore I strongly recommend for those who have the pre-2008 to replace the oil cooler as precaution... (and coolant pump, due to another fault)

image.php

Glad it is all done. Wouldn't say it is a frequent failure though on T5's.

Cheers

Brilliant news :thumb Great to know you're back on the road. Look forward to seeing you at COTF next year .

smgcowfold said:

Cheers

Hi
Even if this is un-frequent, having the knowledge which I have now, I myself would go for the precaution split oil cooler replacement. Much too much hassle to deal with it afterwards, to take any risk.

HistoryBob said:
Brilliant news :thumb Great to know you're back on the road. Look forward to seeing you at COTF next year .

Thank you Robert
I certainly will be there, so see you.
Andrzej

smgcowfold said:

Cheers

Alex
Could you tell me about the coolant pump, please.
Should this also have had been replaced? I am concerned about the integrity of its' rubber sealing when in contact with engine oil.
Thanks
Andrzej

I would replace the seals on the water pump for this and inspect the pump at the same time

cheers

smgcowfold said:
I would replace the seals on the water pump for this and inspect the pump at the same time

cheers

Thank for this, sounds reasonable.
Do you know how many working hours it would be with WV to do it?
Regards
Andrzej

Back