Cornwall intel?

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Chaps,

Plotting a week long trip to Cornwallshire and would like some inside info on the best spots to visit. Non tourist locations. Beaches/coves/harbours and fish-n-chips shops etc. Good campsites near the sea.

All/any info greatly received.

S.

There's some stuff on our blog from our "run from the rain" tour last year, but brief highlights are:

Highertown NT campsite near St Austell. Quiet, easy walk down to little beach (stoney). Easy cycle/walk to Polperro (touristy, but oh-so-quaint), close to Eden and Gardens of Heligan (great farm shop). One of my favourite campsites - it's a field (take leveling ramps). Swallows nest in the washing up area...

Henry's campsite. Possibly the most unusual campsite I've ever stayed. Bit pricey, but worth doing for the experience :) Handy for the Lizard, plus a lovely pasty shop in the village, Mullion, costal walks. There is a cafe on the lizard, does a lovely cream tea while you sit on the outdoors bit and if you are lucky, see the seals :) There is a seal sanctuary near Gweek which is nice.

Treen Farm - it's next to the Minack Theatre. The theater is brilliant, can get booked up, but we got tickets on the day when we were there July last year. It's also near Land's End, but that is just touristy hell.

I forget it's name, have only tent camped there, but there is an okay campsite next door to Camelot, sorry, I mean tintagel. Again, a bit touristy but the castle is worth a visit.

http://bettybus.wordpress.com/2012/10/0 ... -somerset/

Have a good trip.
dan

Polmanter touring park near st Ives is good although a bit expensive. Very good facilities (shop, restaurant, serviced pitches) within walking distance of st Ives for the energetic -especially on the way back. Will be there the first week in July!

Bay view farm campsite just outside Looe. Overlooks the bay, right on the coast path so you can easily walk to Looe and on to Talland bay, Polperro etc.

If you visit, you definitely need to try and get the limited pitches at the bottom of the site, very quiet spot nice and sheltered and the best views of the bay. Most people seem to prefer to stay higher up the field and closer to the facilities.

We were just back there last weekend in glorious weather

http://gwithianfarm.co.uk

This is a great site - excellent pub opposite :) You have to try their food!

Good site with a shop and a coastal walk. Close to Carbis Bay and St Ives.

We loved staying here and will be back at some point this year probably when we go to see my Dad in St Ives.

James

We love Dove Meadows in Marazion. Its a quiet site and feels very much 'off the beaten track' but is just a short stroll from the fabulous beach and Marazion town with it's good restaurants and pubs. Definitely worth a visit!

All good so far chaps, keep em coming..... :cool:

S

To Californiaman

We discovered Treoan 3 years ago, love it. We are off there in August.
Are you going there this summer?

Hi, Clare

Not sure we'll make it this summer. I am now out of holiday until our new leave entitlement begins in July so it gets a bit fiddly. We've spent a couple of the Christmas holidays down there though.

We're down in Falmouth shortly though for a flying visit - planning to stay near Maenporth - to see my nieces final exhibition before she finishes at the Uni.

So many special places

Portleven - Chips and pasties

Lizard - Roskillys Ice Cream

Trebarwith Strand Beach

Etc etc

Best Pasties ever in Porthleven!
Trebarwith Strand beach in the north is beautiful, a stream runs down through the rocks to the beach, lots of rockpools but you have to be carefful with the tides - they come in fast!

Back