Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Correct Tyre Pressure on T6

Lesley Dale

Lesley Dale

Anastasia
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi.... I have read conflicting answers as to what your tyre pressure should be on a 2018 California Ocean TDI BMT so I am a little confused. The warning light (!) came up on my dashboard, after a long journey, so I checked my tyres and the Front nearside was registering 48.1 psi & the others 51psi - So I checked the Tyre Pressure information on the Drivers door for 235/55 R17 300X - and that says 45/45 psi.

They are Bridgestone's all round and recently had two new ones fitted on the front by Selecta Tyre, the wheels balanced & the geometry adjusted rear & front. So I would presume that they would have set them at the correct pressure. To make sure I put in the correct pressure I even checked the internet which then ranged from 44 psi to 54 psi - also putting more air in the front than the back or vice-verse.... Even more confusion!! Can anyone please tell me what the CORRECT tyre pressure should be for my vehicle!

I'm generally the only one in the Vehicle with my two small dogs, obviously all set to go travelling with all the gear.... So would it be classed as "Laden" !!!

Hi.... I have read conflicting answers as to what your tyre pressure should be on a 2018 California Ocean TDI BMT so I am a little confused. The warning light (!) came up on my dashboard, after a long journey, so I checked my tyres and the Front nearside was registering 48.1 psi & the others 51psi - So I checked the Tyre Pressure information on the Drivers door for 235/55 R17 300X - and that says 45/45 psi.

They are Bridgestone's all round and recently had two new ones fitted on the front by Selecta Tyre, the wheels balanced & the geometry adjusted rear & front. So I would presume that they would have set them at the correct pressure. To make sure I put in the correct pressure I even checked the internet which then ranged from 44 psi to 54 psi - also putting more air in the front than the back or vice-verse.... Even more confusion!! Can anyone please tell me what the CORRECT tyre pressure should be for my vehicle!

I'm generally the only one in the Vehicle with my two small dogs, obviously all set to go travelling with all the gear.... So would it be classed as "Laden" !!!
Hi there, the relevant tyre pressures are listed on the ‘b’ pillar on the driver’s side, or in the handbook. The tyres should be checked when cold, i.e. before a long journey and then filled to the correct pressures. I always fill to the max., as if carrying a full load, bearing in mind the extra weight that a Cali has.

Door Pillar is the correct one; Check & inflate when the tyres are Cold, as pressure(s) will increase slightly as the tyres warm up.

Tyre fitter might have just used the setting for a VW transporter van, which is likely to run at higher pressures as likely to be based on a fully laden van.

Hi there, the relevant tyre pressures are listed on the ‘b’ pillar on the driver’s side, or in the handbook. The tyres should be checked when cold, i.e. before a long journey and then filled to the correct pressures. I always fill to the max., as if carrying a full load, bearing in mind the extra weight that a Cali has.

Hi Jodalo.... Thank you for replying.... I did check the 'b' pillar & also checked the tyre pressure when they were cold. So I will now reset the tyre pressure to 45 psi all round. Thank you

Door Pillar is the correct one; Check & inflate when the tyres are Cold, as pressure(s) will increase slightly as the tyres warm up.

Tyre fitter might have just used the setting for a VW transporter van, which is likely to run at higher pressures as likely to be based on a fully laden van.

Thank you..... You're right with regard to the tyre fitter setting it for a VW Transporter. Cos I remember correcting him when I picked it up & said it was a California & not a transporter. So didn't realise at the time that it would make a difference.
Just hope now that the warning light goes off - as some threads posted seem to be having trouble with it resetting.

Dont think I have in 30years had a tyre fitter put the correct pressure in !
I feel even the fully laden pressures are a minimum and VW pressures are for comfort not optimal wear.
As with Ford Transit custom sports with Non commercial tyres these wear fast too.

Thank you..... You're right with regard to the tyre fitter setting it for a VW Transporter. Cos I remember correcting him when I picked it up & said it was a California & not a transporter. So didn't realise at the time that it would make a difference.
Just hope now that the warning light goes off - as some threads posted seem to be having trouble with it resetting.
The warning light is unlikely to go off on its own. It has to be reset and then it will automatically recalibrate the system. There are different methods of resetting depending on vehicle year and if you have control buttons on the steering wheel or wiper stalk. You reset it via the dashboard multi function display. Go to Settings-Tyre Pressures-Reset.

Took Anastasia my Cali back down to Selecta Tyre, great guys down there, who corrected all the tyre pressures to 45 psi all round and showed me how to reset the warning light.... So all good to go now! Thank you all for your help & comments.

The warning light is unlikely to go off on its own. It has to be reset and then it will automatically recalibrate the system. There are different methods of resetting depending on vehicle year and if you have control buttons on the steering wheel or wiper stalk. You reset it via the dashboard multi function display. Go to Settings-Tyre Pressures-Reset.

Is my understanding right: when you reset the tyre pressure warnings, the system takes your current pressures as its baseline, whatever they are, and then flags deviation from this baseline. So you define the correct pressures to your vehicle. And it can’t tell you whether what you’ve chosen is right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is my understanding right: when you reset the tyre pressure warnings, the system takes your current pressures as its baseline, whatever they are, and then flags deviation from this baseline. So you define the correct pressures to your vehicle. And it can’t tell you whether what you’ve chosen is right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s my understanding of the California (T5) monitoring system, it senses pressure differences by monitoring the rotation/wheel diameter. So if you inflate your tyres to the wrong pressure it will trust you and only warn if senses a change . It’s not like TPMS systems that have a pressure sensor on each wheel sending actual pressure readings.

I run 44 front and 42 rear. Cold settings.
Used the same pressures on 235/55/17 and current 235/60/17 tyres.

I have Tyrepal sensors fitted and the pressures vary with temperature changes in both ambient and tyre.

Front can go up to 48 on a run during the summer, rears will also go up.
Normally tyre pressures increase by a minimum of 2psi after about 5>10 miles.

Back