Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Corrosion on Dakar Wheels

Pasper2

Pasper2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Sorry 2nd post in as many minutes

Has anyone suffered corrosion on the Bi Dakar wheels? Did you try for warranty repair?
Guess VW could argue the case regarding what cleaning agents have been used but still thought they would stay pretty perfect after just under 3 years.

No idea of the cleaning history as only just got him but thought I would ask your thoughts experiences.

Cheers Justin

I haven't noticed any corrosion on mine, but I don't use any special cleaner on them, just soap & water.

I've bought one set of bi-dakar, and they are, like any other VW wheels, sensible to corrosion...
I've made then powder coat in silver...I'll see if it's better.

I had this on my BMW M3 and vowed never to by diamond cut/polished alloys again. Mine started 'spidering' from the centre caps outwards, BMW replaced the whole set but would only do it if the wheels had not been curbed or refurbished in the past no idea on VW's policies.

It has happened on a few Berghaus editions that had them that i'm aware of.

I know at least one of the people concerned had the affected wheels replaced under warranty.

Not corrosion at such (and straight Dakars not Bi- ) but like every other diamond cut wheel I've had on any vehicle, sooner or later you get crazing of the lacquer.

I'll be getting my colour powder coated in the near future and removing the diamond cutting.

Equally, can't really complain as they were given to me free as part of another good will gesture :)

Many "luxury" manufacturers replace them as a good will (not warranty) gesture... I've had it on Range Rovers and Lexus, but most are likely to cite "environmental factors"... kerbing, washing, stone chips, micro-pitting etc.

Still... It's worth a try, as always nothing to lose but try not to feel bad if you don't get anywhere and let it detract from your enjoyment.

Rgds
Mark

Well a claim has gone off to VW and awaiting the answer, sent by Vindis Northampton

OK dilemma here: Vindis Northampton's warranty manager has said he thinks the wheels should be replaced, however its up to VW to approve it, if when they get the wheels back they do not agree I am liable to the full cost of replacement wheels and fitting. I don't actually have the option of having the old wheels back once sent back to VW. Its quite bad corrosion but could get it repaired locally for probably £100 per wheel. The cost of new VW Bi Dakar replacements is likely to be £1000.00 +
Not been in this situation before and not sure whats best?

Have you got a spare wheel. If so I would fit that get them to send the one you take off to VW for assesment. If they accept the claim on one they should accept the claim on all the wheels. I would be looking for another set / type of wheels if I was having to pay for them. If you had thought about having a set of winter steel wheels could be another of way of sending off the Dakars