Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Corsica

P

Pesce

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi everybody,
finally my Cali it's on the road :thumb

In May (12 to 25) we will travel to Corsica! Any suggestion?
Someone know if there's some place quite to free camping??

Thanks

We are going back to Corsica in July.

Be aware that it is illegal to do freecamps on the island and it is very illegal to use open fire in the wild. A few years ago we witnessed a big fire on the island, so it is very understandable. But still there are so many places to stay. We love the west coast and the areas around Fango and the national park.

It is great to use Google in supplement to the campingsites you find on the net. With Google you can use streetview and the pictures in the search result. That gives a good impression of the area in whole.

Corsica – We used the ACSI app on the iPhone. There last July, Bonafico is stunning – tip there is a road (D260) behind the parking area at the base of the town. Follow that road it takes you out of Bonafico onto a cliff top which gives stunning views of overhanging houses on cliff edge. I also believe there is a footpath from this car park.
ZK2B7779.jpg

North from Bonafico is a beach on the N198 east coast called Rondinara D158 there is a campsite there very near the beach and it has to be one of the most beautiful places on the island. Unfortunately there were no spaces so we couldn’t get in but they do take motorhomes. The independent newspaper described it as the rural Ritz of campsites?

We then drove north and stayed just south of Portio Vecchio and can recommend Camping U Pirellu. It has a nice restaurant, great facilities and an infinity style pool which overlooks the road. It’s a short drive to the beach (Turn right) out of the camp site and take your pick they are beautiful. The clear water was just like I imagine Maldives would look like – yes that great. Stayed 2 nights.
ZK2B7837.jpg ZK2B7841.jpg

There are then quite a few nice campsites as you drive North towards Bastia. We stayed at Marina D'Erba Rossaitwas very clean, was on the beach and had lots of facilities particularly for children. It was too big and busy for us though and we stayed just one night.
ZK2B7880.jpg ZK2B7890.jpg

From here that we drove over the mountains to the west coast and small village of Porto. (UNESCO heritage area) This route took us on the D84 through the centre of Corsica and National park . I wouldn’t want to drive that road again but have to say I would recommend it as an experience. The landscape at Porto is awesome with red granite cliffs that look like pitons.
ZK2B7961.jpg

There are campsites in Porto which were full so we again drove north along the D81 and off this road hugging the coast found a campsite called “La Morsetta Camping. It is on the beach (pebbles not sand) and is quiet and has clean facilities. Loved it.
IMG_4059.JPG
Drove north to the town of Calvi –again just beautiful and plenty of campsites – one nice one at the north end of the town on the beach. Took the mountain road from here to St Florent and stayed at Kalliste camping village. This was a small site with very good facilities and path to beach. Had a kids club though and was quite noisy but great for one night. St Florent was a 10 minute walk and its beautiful.
IMG_4103.JPG IMG_4112.JPG

We were in Corsica for a week and missed out on Ajaccio but said at the time, “why didn’t we know about this place before?” – it was incredibly beautiful. Have a great trip I’m envious.

Last edited:
>>In May (12 to 25) we will travel to Corsica! Any suggestion?

Hi,

In this parallel thread you'll find my route suggestion:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/posts/141160/

I might add that though wild camping is not allowed, in early spring and late autumn the police tends to look away, if you're in very remote areas. Mostly in the beautiful rough back country you do need a four wheel drive.

Regards from Amsterdam,
Marc.

We will be visiting Corsica in early May and on landing at Ajaccio heading North and then circling the coast clockwise with detours inland to Corte and the Col de Bavella.
Here is a list of campsites we will probably use for just one night at a time Average cost at this time is about 20 Euros per night for two people with electricity In several of the campsites the full range of facilities eg Swimming pool restaurant will not be open in early May but this means they should be quieter which suits us fine

Ajaccio Les Mimosas
Porto Sole e Vista
Calvi Bella Vista
St Florent Kalliste
Pietracorbara La Pietra
Bastia San Daminanio
Corte Restonica
Aleria Marina d Aleria
Porto Vecchio Arutoli
Bonifacio Camping Les Isles
Filitosa Kiesale

All the campsites listed can be found on Archies camping App and on the Visit Corsica website
Google maps and GeoPortail are both excellent for checking out the location of campsites

I will try to post comments and pictures during the trip or on our return

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

hey,
thanks for all the suggestion!
I've noted everything :thumb

What do you think about wild camping in the island (without open fire!!!)?

Corsica is relatively poor and heavily dependent on income from tourism. Personally I didn't begrudge paying the average fee of 20 Euros per night to stay on commercial campsites many of which were very quiet at this time of year and some of which were in stunning locations.

As promised here are some more details of our recent trip to Corsica.
I have had to split my original post in two in order to comply with forum regulations regarding images per post

Since we were travelling from South Wales we decided to use Brittany Ferries Portsmouth Caen ferry then Corsica ferries from Toulon to Ajaccio outward Ajaccio to Nice inbound We allowed a day and a half to cross France with overnight stops at Bourges on the way out and Lyon on the return.

Day 1 On arriving at Ajaccio we checked in at Camping les Mimosas and then drove out to Pointe de la Parata for a walk.

On Day 2 we headed North along the west coast via Cargese and Piana to Porto, stopping off for a walk above the Calanches de Piana
5251b845a29b3605f64a1b0844efd466.jpg

On Day 3 we travelled via the D81 to Calvi stopping at Bocca a Croce for a short walk.
e158d217fd1ce936bb5b50d10053012d.jpg

After checking in at Camping Bella Vista we spent the rest of the afternoon and evening exploring Calvi
fc9fb169b013cb1e5aa482fe1ff70a08.jpg

On Day 4 we drove to L’Ile Rousse before spending the afternoon touring the Balagne hill towns, stopping off at San Antonino and Speloncato ……
e78c605f97ea2e5dc5dd3c38fccee9bd.jpg

..... then via the Desert des Agriates to Camping Kalliste in St Florent.
ff4e8201c527fe1b8b788d1f74ecdc36.jpg

On Day 5 we drove to Murato to visit the early Pisan church of San Michele
1c4018db62385ac4dc91e953a5330254.jpg

Then via Patrimonio and the Cap Corse Corniche……
2182534ff48c934317c488fb5101a5e0.jpg

….. to Camping La Pietra at Pietracorbara, stopping at Nonza
e4e0a1a4faa0d2e6d8d171d8bcc2a3f5.jpg

....and Port de Centuri..

Day 6 was spent in Bastia…….
46ebd8fcda69030661604bbbc9eee9e6.jpg

staying overnight at Camping San Damiano, south of the city between the Etang de Biguglia….
c3735ee0468e77b19b43c2c671e10dbf.jpg

....and the sea.

On Day 7 we headed inland via the Castagniccia to Corte, stopping off at La Porta
50858aebddd67748ab315914730d8872.jpg

….and Morisaglia birthplace of Pasquale Paoli.

Having checked in at Camping Restonica we spent the rest of the day exploring Corte on foot
1b06344d2f7035b95a2988726e8c9981.jpg

And here are the details of our second week in Corsica Hope you enjoy the photos

On Day 8 we drove to the head of the Restonica Valley
751dc82a4401445b4137861d430d4454.jpg

……. For a walk from the Bergeries de Grotelle.
3be93307b78794fc2838e68ff2de3837.jpg

In the afternoon we drove to Riventosa for a short walk to Poggio di Venaco and back then via the Tavignano valley to Aleria where we stayed at Camping Marina d Aleria.

On Day 9 we drove via Solenzara and the Route de Bavella
0528d6770def57c16eb09c168cca1be2.jpg

….. to the Col de Bavella for another walk to view the Aiguilles de Bavella.
adf40a9494f68c10321447fc8d76f556.jpg

From the Col de Bavella we returned via Zonza and L Ospedale to the coast at Porto Vecchio where we stayed at the Hotel Costa Salina.

On Day 10 we drove to Bonifacio and found a parking place in the Upper Town The morning was spent exploring the Upper town and the Marina and in the afternoon we walked along the cliffs towards Capo Pertusato
c00cad374c76ddb756992dcfeeb67d22.jpg

Our campsite for the night was Camping des Isles at the southernmost point of the island and overlooking the Isles Lavezzi

On Day 11 we headed North West via Rocapina ….
6d663ec7ac06c744111685790e17cc97.jpg

….. Sartene
dacce526683752334139392d21b76762.jpg

…..and Campomoro to our last campsite before returning to Ajaccio at Domaine Kiesale - a campsite set amongst cork oak and olive trees on a vineyard, with a restaurant supplied with organic produce by the owners brother.
25e3ba42053de8d374f560c6e0cca1d8.jpg

Day 12 our last on the island was spent visiting the prehistoric site at Filitosa
731f57cb98cf9a28b487b035b9928dc2.jpg

….. then via Porto Pollo and the coast road
a87407f7bcace96ab9a89de78b46bee2.jpg

.........back to Ajaccio for an early morning departure next day for Nice.

ea217e1c97309da9598a78cb60971a8d.jpg

And here are the details of our second week in Corsica Hope you enjoy the photos

On Day 8 we drove to the head of the Restonica Valley
751dc82a4401445b4137861d430d4454.jpg

……. For a walk from the Bergeries de Grotelle.
3be93307b78794fc2838e68ff2de3837.jpg

In the afternoon we drove to Riventosa for a short walk to Poggio di Venaco and back then via the Tavignano valley to Aleria where we stayed at Camping Marina d Aleria.

On Day 9 we drove via Solenzara and the Route de Bavella
0528d6770def57c16eb09c168cca1be2.jpg

….. to the Col de Bavella for another walk to view the Aiguilles de Bavella.
adf40a9494f68c10321447fc8d76f556.jpg

From the Col de Bavella we returned via Zonza and L Ospedale to the coast at Porto Vecchio where we stayed at the Hotel Costa Salina.

On Day 10 we drove to Bonifacio and found a parking place in the Upper Town The morning was spent exploring the Upper town and the Marina and in the afternoon we walked along the cliffs towards Capo Pertusato
c00cad374c76ddb756992dcfeeb67d22.jpg

Our campsite for the night was Camping des Isles at the southernmost point of the island and overlooking the Isles Lavezzi

On Day 11 we headed North West via Rocapina ….
6d663ec7ac06c744111685790e17cc97.jpg

….. Sartene
dacce526683752334139392d21b76762.jpg

…..and Campomoro to our last campsite before returning to Ajaccio at Domaine Kiesale - a campsite set amongst cork oak and olive trees on a vineyard, with a restaurant supplied with organic produce by the owners brother.
25e3ba42053de8d374f560c6e0cca1d8.jpg

Day 12 our last on the island was spent visiting the prehistoric site at Filitosa
731f57cb98cf9a28b487b035b9928dc2.jpg

….. then via Porto Pollo and the coast road
a87407f7bcace96ab9a89de78b46bee2.jpg

.........back to Ajaccio for an early morning departure next day for Nice.

ea217e1c97309da9598a78cb60971a8d.jpg

Great photos and reminds us of our trip. Thanks for sharing :)

Seriously considering Corsica this summer. But we can't go 'till late June / early July. Is that too late? Will it be too busy?

We went Corsica, La Maddalena and Sardegna last july. It was perfect. Not too busy. Our friends went August snd it was horrible.

Thanks @Kmann . Hopefully we will be OK then. How did you get on with Corsican roads? Did you have to plan your routes carefully or can the Cali pretty much go anywhere (I'm not generally daunted by mountain roads - having towed canoe trailers over some shockers - but there are some horror stories floating around).

Thanks @Kmann . Hopefully we will be OK then. How did you get on with Corsican roads? Did you have to plan your routes carefully or can the Cali pretty much go anywhere (I'm not generally daunted by mountain roads - having towed canoe trailers over some shockers - but there are some horror stories floating around).

The only Road we gave up on, was the dirt path to Camping Paradiso. It was pure off-road, and not suited for our brand new T6.

All the main roads are in good condition, and even smaller Roads are fine. We only meet a fes sandy/stoney passes when on adventurous paths. So you should not worry, but look foreward to a fantastic trip. Corsica is amazing in so many ways.

We drove the west coast to down, and most of the east coast up again. The old coast road (D81) is spectacular.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
The only Road we gave up on, was the dirt path to Camping Paradiso. It was pure off-road, and not suited for our brand new T6.

All the main roads are in good condition, and even smaller Roads are fine. We only meet a fes sandy/stoney passes when on adventurous paths. So you should not worry, but look foreward to a fantastic trip. Corsica is amazing in so many ways.

We drove the west coast to down, and most of the east coast up again. The old coast road (D81) is spectacular.
You've sold it to me. Off to check ferries :)

Ferries get very busy and must be booked before you leave, we loved Corsica, had 4 weeks there in 2016 great contrast between the coast and the mountains, much cooler as you would expect in the mountains. There is a great little campsite just below High Asco, Camping Monte Cinto family run, even do evening meals to order, well worth a visit.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...ing_Monte_Cinto-Asco_Haute_Corse_Corsica.html

If you like the mountains there are fantastic walks to be had in stunning scenery, the GR20 runs down the mountain spine of Corsica.

We also stayed at Camping Californa, lovely site directly adjacent to the beach, very hot however.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...ng_California-Zonza_Corse_du_Sud_Corsica.html

We went from Toulon to Ajacio and returned Bastia to Piombino in Italy.

Ferries get very busy and must be booked before you leave, we loved Corsica, had 4 weeks there in 2016 great contrast between the coast and the mountains, much cooler as you would expect in the mountains. There is a great little campsite just below High Asco, Camping Monte Cinto family run, even do evening meals to order, well worth a visit.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...ing_Monte_Cinto-Asco_Haute_Corse_Corsica.html

If you like the mountains there are fantastic walks to be had in stunning scenery, the GR20 runs down the mountain spine of Corsica.

We also stayed at Camping Californa, lovely site directly adjacent to the beach, very hot however.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...ng_California-Zonza_Corse_du_Sud_Corsica.html

We went from Toulon to Ajacio and returned Bastia to Piombino in Italy.
Thanks for the advice. Yes - we'll book before we go. What time of year did you go? Did you also book sites or just play it by ear and turn-up?

Thanks for the advice. Yes - we'll book before we go. What time of year did you go? Did you also book sites or just play it by ear and turn-up?

We were in Europe for almost 3 months May - July, the only thing we booked were the UK and Corsica ferries, that leaves complete flexibility, we just used our phones to search sites wherever we went. Some of the bigger sites round the coast get very busy but we tend to avoid those anyway. Many are near the coast road and are noisy, we used Google maps to find the ones in quieter locations.

We were in Corsica in June which is quieter as most of Europe is not on holiday then.

Corsica really is lovely. Brush up on your France tho. I nearly got into trouble ogling French Foreign Legion soldiers too. (-:

Back