Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

County Counsel....

HectorPascal

HectorPascal

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Honestly, before all this Pandemic-monium began t'was our plan to use our Cali to methodically visit all the Counties of dear old Blighty. To learn their character and history. Visit all the great places we have never had time to before and maybe jot a word or two down in a web-log. Just the two of us and our mutt, Daphne.

Hardly and original idea I'll admit but it felt fresh enough to us. As for Daffers, well she could not care less as long as she is with us along the journey. We got off to a faltering start last month as we headed for Norfolk. We spent our first night in a Bury St Ed's hotel (any room at all was a struggle to find). Thereafter we managed two nights in a small site with a local owner who was as creative as he was friendly. That is part of the fun though (isn't it?) - making things up as you go along.

I digress. The reason for this post is - as ever - to tap your collective wisdom. We are looking for the sort of nuggets of information that you might winkle out of the old worthy at the end of the bar. Little known facts and places we should spend our time exploring. Not so much the main obvious attractions but the quirky and arcane that might help us to flesh out the spirit of the county and its character.

So. Norfolk. What does that old county have that will fascinate, beguile and charm us? Over to you.

Honestly, before all this Pandemic-monium began t'was our plan to use our Cali to methodically visit all the Counties of dear old Blighty. To learn their character and history. Visit all the great places we have never had time to before and maybe jot a word or two down in a web-log. Just the two of us and our mutt, Daphne.

Hardly and original idea I'll admit but it felt fresh enough to us. As for Daffers, well she could not care less as long as she is with us along the journey. We got off to a faltering start last month as we headed for Norfolk. We spent our first night in a Bury St Ed's hotel (any room at all was a struggle to find). Thereafter we managed two nights in a small site with a local owner who was as creative as he was friendly. That is part of the fun though (isn't it?) - making things up as you go along.

I digress. The reason for this post is - as ever - to tap your collective wisdom. We are looking for the sort of nuggets of information that you might winkle out of the old worthy at the end of the bar. Little known facts and places we should spend our time exploring. Not so much the main obvious attractions but the quirky and arcane that might help us to flesh out the spirit of the county and its character.

So. Norfolk. What does that old county have that will fascinate, beguile and charm us? Over to you.

Girl power.

The hill fort near Thetford castle, A place that Boudica would have known well. One of the starts of an ancient trackway, the Icknield way (icknield probably refers to the Iceni) and possibly the start of Boudica's march on Colchester.

Hi HectorPascal,

What will charm and beguile you?
Only you can answer that question. Travel with open eyes and open mind and you may find what you are looking for. If you follow the routes that others have taken you will only find what they have found.
My advice would be to stop often, don‘t walk in the rain and don’t sit inside when the sun is shining.

This lady is using John Julias Norwich's guide to the history of england in 100 places, as inspiration to tour in her T4 Autosleeper. She's quirky but (probably 'and' is better) fun.

Hi sounds like a great idea to me. A few suggestions from over the border.

Try Oxburough Hall has a priest hole which is unusual but part of the roof are under restoration just now.

Norwich is a fine city with a good range of shops and quaint old areas, try the path along the river which starts near the football ground and winds its way along the river past historic sites such as Pulls ferry, cow Tower and the Bishops bridge. You can deviate to the Catherdral around Tombland and visit Elm Hill lovely old street often used in films.

Norwich has a diverse market and some great restaurant's try the Grosvenor Fish and Chip shop very poplar but be prepared to que, tables downstairs small green space opposite and you can eat them in the pub opposite as long as you are a customer. All in an area of old Norwich called Pottergate with great independent shops.

For parking in Norwich I would suggest Rouen Rd, close to the centre and good for the suggested walk and about 10 mins from the centre, no height restrictions campers allowed but only 197 places cost around 5.50 for all day. Not sure why I'm telling people about this great little carpark, can it remain our secret :thumb

Blakeneypoint - National Trust take a boat trip out to see the seals.

Fairhaven Water gardens between Norwich and Acle, a nice little garden which has a nice trip along the local broads.

The Mickleburgh Collection if you are into military things.

Nice coastal type road from Kings Lynn to Great Yarmouth, with lots of well known sites - Sandringham House, Sheringham, Hunstanton, Thornham and Brancaster, Cromer famous for its crabs, Gt Yarmouth with its seafront, but also has a few hidden gems with the restored Victorian Gardens, Nelson monument and Elizabethanhouses you can also see the local wind farm from the sea front,

Inland other places of interest Wroxham and the broads, Reedham where you can catch the ferry over the river Yare, Bressingham Gardens, Cockley Cley Iceni village.

So heres a few suggestions to be getting on with if you need anything further please PM me.

Don't forget Suffolk we have a lot to offer too as I'm sure all areas of the UK have.

Hope you have a graet trip Pd

Thank you 'Granny Jen', 'Herman', '2into1' and especially 'Pd' (I appreciate the effort that you put into that reply and there is a bottle of wine for you when we meet. Our van is called 'Canopus' if you see us, Claim it!)

We will try to do all that lot and maybe get hold of John Julius Norwich's book too - sound fun and educational.

Best wishes all.

North Norfolk coast line very nice. Holkham Beach, Cookies Crab House (Cley by Sea); wonderful!