Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Crit'air sticker needed for Puy de Dome/Clermont Ferrand?

G&Ts

G&Ts

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi,

We're heading to France this Saturday and plan to spend two weeks in Puy-de-Dome area. Somehow I missed that the whole Puy-de-Dome/Clermont Ferrand area is part of an Emergency Low Emission Zone (ZPA), where temporary restrictions may be imposed depending on pollution levels. We don't have a Crit'air sticker as aren't planning to visit any cities, so didn't think we'd need one :talktothehand.

Looking at https://www.green-zones.eu/en/ (is this a reliable source?), it doesn't look as though any restrictions are currently in place in this region - have I understood this correctly?

If so, can we travel in this area without a Crit'air sticker without risk of being fined? i.e. would a sticker only be needed if/when/where restrictions were actively in place?

The website states 'In case of pollution peak, a police order based on the prefect´s decision will define the exact borders of the activated zone and announce the entry into force of the area.' How will we know if this happens while we're away? I see there's a Green Zones app, has anyone used this?

Just trying to figure out how concerned we should be! I presume it's too late to try and buy a sticker now as it has to be posted to the UK...

Thanks.

Hi,

We're heading to France this Saturday and plan to spend two weeks in Puy-de-Dome area. Somehow I missed that the whole Puy-de-Dome/Clermont Ferrand area is part of an Emergency Low Emission Zone (ZPA), where temporary restrictions may be imposed depending on pollution levels. We don't have a Crit'air sticker as aren't planning to visit any cities, so didn't think we'd need one :talktothehand.

Looking at https://www.green-zones.eu/en/ (is this a reliable source?), it doesn't look as though any restrictions are currently in place in this region - have I understood this correctly?

If so, can we travel in this area without a Crit'air sticker without risk of being fined? i.e. would a sticker only be needed if/when/where restrictions were actively in place?

The website states 'In case of pollution peak, a police order based on the prefect´s decision will define the exact borders of the activated zone and announce the entry into force of the area.' How will we know if this happens while we're away? I see there's a Green Zones app, has anyone used this?

Just trying to figure out how concerned we should be! I presume it's too late to try and buy a sticker now as it has to be posted to the UK...

Thanks.

I think is is not expensive to get one - €4.51 So may I suggest that you order one anyway and if it does not come at least you will have a notification to show you have tried.

If I remember correctly, the confirmation email does contain a temporary certificate that you can print out and put behind the windscreen. Easily applied for online and less than 5 euro.

And you are right that you only need the sticker if pollution levels are high. But to me it seems hard to see that coming if you’re not local to the area.

From the FAQs

What will I receive? How long ?​

Following your order, you will receive:
-a confirmation email (within 4 hours),
-a dematerialized invoice by email (within approximately 24 hours) with the facsimile of your sticker.
-an Air Quality Certificate by mail (within approximately 10 days).

The facsimile justifies your request and the classification of your vehicle pending receipt of your certificate by post.

Thank you both for your replies! I've taken your advice and placed an order online, the website did indeed say we'll get a temporary certificate by email. So far I've received a confirmation email quoting a certificate number, hopefully an electronic certificate will follow in the next 24 hours for printing.

Now I can relax and start looking forward to our trip... ;).

I have just ordered one as will be driving through France and possibly going through or into cities.
As the owner of a 2008 T5 which is 257 co2, Euro 4 according to Parker’s, does this just say my van isn’t very clean? What does it allow me to do?
Its says I’m class 3
CEBFC910-9EBC-4C6D-87BC-9B112479DEDB.jpeg
So will I see signs saying 3,4,5 not allowed ?
How does it work?
Are they all temporarily restrictions.

Hi,

Thanks.
They come really quickly - within a week and I appreciate it’s a cost but I think they are worth having as you only fit once and then don’t need to worry about wherever you go and when !

Hi All, just tried - twice - to order a sticker via tge official site quoted above - thanks for the link, by the way - and on both instances it stalled when I uploaded a opy of the V5 document, taken with my mobile phone camera.
Has anyone else had issues like this?
Thanks
Mike

Hi All, just tried - twice - to order a sticker via tge official site quoted above - thanks for the link, by the way - and on both instances it stalled when I uploaded a opy of the V5 document, taken with my mobile phone camera.
Has anyone else had issues like this?
Thanks
Mike
Yes it wouldn't work for me either. I shrank the image to the correct size but it still wouldn't take it. In the end I re-saved it as a PDF and then it worked. There are various websites to resize and change JPEGs etc

Last edited:
Yes it wouldn't work for me either. I shrank the image to the correct size but it still wouldn't take it. In the end I re-saved it as a PDF and then it worked. There are various websites to resize and change JPEGs etc

thanks Lambeth Cali; I used to be OK with similar activities when we had a PC, but on an HP laptop I can't see a path to effect such a document conversion, from smartphone photo - .jpg, format, to a .pdf format - help!

thanks Lambeth Cali; I used to be OK with similar activities when we had a PC, but on an HP laptop I can't see a path to effect such a document conversion, from smartphone photo - .jpg, format, to a .pdf format - help!
Sometimes the Printer software has this function. It does on my Mac with Canon and HP printers. When you go to print you can select to convert the picture to a pdf and save on the computer.

Hi,

Thanks.
Your sub-question was if this site is reliable. Maybe it is, but they sell the French Crit'Air sticker for in their own words "as little as" 30,90 euro, where the official site of the French government (https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/) only asks 4,51 euro (inclusive postage).

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

this might work

Your sub-question was if this site is reliable. Maybe it is, but they sell the French Crit'Air sticker for in their own words "as little as" 30,90 euro, where the official site of the French government (https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/) only asks 4,51 euro (inclusive postage).

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
The Gov site does warn against fraudulent sites.
Does anyone know which class a Cali is?

3AFB8D6A-E491-4516-B00F-53FEC71F1086.png

if anyone as confused as I am
I have to say, it's a right old faff, but you gave to do it, or risk the fine. We've now got the French Crit Aire sticker and the equivalent German one. You can't just buy them 'off the shelf' as you have to submit a copy of your vehicle registration document (V5) in order to verify the class of pollution category into which your vehicle falls - the stickers come with your registration number embedded within them. Happy days! We're now on tenterhooks awaiting our vet appointment next Tuesday, to get the Animal Health Certificate, without which, we can't travel!

I have to say, it's a right old faff, but you gave to do it, or risk the fine. We've now got the French Crit Aire sticker and the equivalent German one. You can't just buy them 'off the shelf' as you have to submit a copy of your vehicle registration document (V5) in order to verify the class of pollution category into which your vehicle falls - the stickers come with your registration number embedded within them. Happy days! We're now on tenterhooks awaiting our vet appointment next Tuesday, to get the Animal Health Certificate, without which, we can't travel!
Did you put them in the correct place ? Bottom right apparently. Our drivers side.
I shall move mine tomorrow!

Did you put them in the correct place ? Bottom right apparently. Our drivers side.
I shall move mine tomorrow!
The French document specified right side; didn't say top or bottom. We've now got, in descending order from top right corner: Swiss motorway Vignette, German pollution Vignette, French Crit Aire Vignette. At least they're there, and they show the van's registration details.

Bumping this, which vehicle type did you choose for the Cali?
3EF50A2D-58D9-46C6-A56E-0F7F0806981B.png

M1
As written on my registration certificate (Belgium)
The UK V5 document shows 'VW Transporter in addition to a shortened additional type description, also 'private/light goods' so the latter is the class to which I allocated Barbara Ann. I found the French government site provided automatic translation to English, so it was quite clear as to the equivalent French vehicle class.

I am just in the process of applying for mine and I have missing info on my V5
The section v.7 CO2 (g/KM) is blank and I need this for the application. Anyone else had this?

Back