Croatia via Belgium Germany Austria Slovenia. Via GC 680

J

Jester

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi all,

Has anyone driven to Croatia via the above route, from my reading, most country’s I will travel through advise motorway speeds are 80km/h ie 50mph if so how strict is their enforcement, should i be concerned. I should also get the vignettes as a matter of course. Any advice most welcome.

We went to Croatia in May/June on a 4 week trip via Holland, Germany, Austria and Slovenia. I don't remember the speed limits being a problem, in Germany motorways seemed mainly 130km/h (i.e.a very reasonable 80mph).

We loved Slovenia and Croatia so much, we last went 50 years ago in our 1969 T2 when it was Yugoslavia, we were thinking about a return trip later in August/Sept but the current floods in Slovenia are putting us off for a while.

Just noticed you are a Grand Cali so your speed limits I guess are different.

I wonder if anyone is in Slovenia at the moment and can advise on the situation with the flooding?

Just noticed you are a Grand Cali so your speed limits I guess are different.

I wonder if anyone is in Slovenia at the moment and can advise on the situation with the flooding?
I live there and, yes, the flooding is bad for the affected areas. Check the website https://sloveniatimes.com/slovenia-under-water/ and other articles and stay away from affected areas. All highways are open so if you are passing through no issue. Some areas are completely unaffected and I believe Bled and surrounding area is OK.

Stay on the main roads. Google and Waze will mostly show the closed areas. Ljubljana is open as far as I know.

The river areas were most affected and I know of some campsites (one quite near me which I have stayed at) completely devastated. If you are staying in Slovenia, check with your site, they will be able to advise and will be OK with English too.

I live there and, yes, the flooding is bad for the affected areas. Check the website https://sloveniatimes.com/slovenia-under-water/ and other articles and stay away from affected areas. All highways are open so if you are passing through no issue. Some areas are completely unaffected and I believe Bled and surrounding area is OK.

Stay on the main roads. Google and Waze will mostly show the closed areas. Ljubljana is open as far as I know.

The river areas were most affected and I know of some campsites (one quite near me which I have stayed at) completely devastated. If you are staying in Slovenia, check with your site, they will be able to advise and will be OK with English too.
Many thanks for your update, hopefully no fatalities, I'm due there 3rd September.

For driving in Austria you can buy your vignette online or from a motorway service station. If you buy online you must do so 18 days prior to you entering Austria. You can also register your vehicle for online toll payment. Because I have a number plate with two numbers and two letters the ANPR at the toll booth didn’t recognise my plate so I just told the toll booth operator that my vehicle was registered and I was let through and charged to my credit card.

ASFINAG

The Autobahn and Schnellstraßen-Finanz-Aktiengesellschaft, so-called ASFINAG, is responsible for the planning, financing, construction, operation and toll collection on almost 2,250 kilometres of Austria's motorways and expressways.

For a Slovenian vignette the official website is:

https://evinjeta.dars.si/en

Thanks so much for this info, it's devastating for the people effected by the floods but encouraging that things look OK for a trip. We will resume planning, thanks!

Back